Camco Olympian Wave 3 Heater

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I jumped up to the Wave 6. So far it has been working well.

Congrats!

I like mine a lot.

You'll need a regulator and hose, and the little brass elbow fitting makes it a neater installation in most cases. 

And a cover will extend the life of the pad when the unit is not in use.

(Notice: The following posts may contain warnings about condensation and proper ventilation, we have come to expect those in any thread that mentions a propane-fired heater)

:p

wave3.jpg

I'm using mine right now. Here's a pic I took last winter with it on low (with all the lights out). I did buy the cover, legs and the 12' hose with regulator. I hook it up to a 20lb tank.

Attachments

• wave3.jpg
    wave3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
https://www.rvautoparts.com has the best prices for 12' hose/regulator, legs and cover.

They charge $7.49 for standard ground shipping. So you need to factor it in. They don't charge any tax.

If you buy all the above it's about $12 cheaper (shipping included) than walmart / amazon pricing.

The legs and cover are what you save the most on. It's $10 out of the $12.

I guess no one reads the installation instructions as they recomend a drop tube which requires the propane make a 90 degree turn with the supply line coming in from the top and the sediment tube at the bottom before entering the heater all of which the installer must buy, or am I not reading that correctly?

bullfrog do you have a link to that. I just reviewed the installation instructions and I did not see that. highdesertranger

yep you are correct. I read right over that, they sure don't give many details. thanks for the heads up. highdesertranger

I almost did too. With all the pages of WARNING, WARNING, WARNING, WARNING, etc. Stuff is easily overlooked.

And realize the catalytic fabric is very susceptible to contamination.

Keep it covered in dusty conditions.

Keep the living space nice and clean.

Replacing that cost almost as much as a new unit.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

'' And realize the catalytic fabric is very susceptible to contamination.  ''
Sorry if this is a silly question, but can this unit be mounted in a quick release fashion. ? Stowed in clean environment until cold weather situation occurs ?
presently using Mr Buddy which is far bulkier for stowage and as previously been discussed to much heat for a van, in my case a Transit.

MM

Perhaps, but riskier I think, a little convenience vs optimal safety makes no sense to me.

The cover should protect it OK, properly sealing up the living space for dusty conditions worth doing anyway.

I had a Wave 6 in my motorhome and that heater was almost never covered and lasted about 17 years. The heater was rarely exposed to direct wind blasts that would carry dust into the pad. For the last 2 or 3 seasons the heat output was a bit low, probably due to contamination from cooking vapors, dust and impurities in the propane, presumably, or maybe that is about the expected life of the pad.

That the pad is 'very susceptible' is, I think, overstated.

Yes, if it's mounted where it can be physically damaged, or blasted by dust storms thru an open van door, then it might shorten the life, or if you are sweeping the floor, or sawing wood, or painting, or using chemical sprays and cleaners in your van, then I would suggest you cover the heater.

I now cover my Wave 3 in my truck camper ANY time it's not in use because of its proximity to the back tailgate and hatch, I never know when the wind will blast the dust around inside the camper.

Just FYI, the Wave 3 and Wave 6 (and probably the Wave 8) do have keyhole slots on the back so you can lift them off the screws it is hanging on, if wall mounted.

I just meant the quick-connect propane, as opposed to a more secure one.

Thanks for that 17-year report, most excellent.

It is likely the many reports I've seen of the catalyst needing replacing was in more extreme or slovenly conditions.

Still an issue worth raising awareness on I think, some people do need to clean up their whole interior after every trip into dusty conditions.

And some of us are filthy slobs.