Byer of Maine Military Cot

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder Dan

Reaction score
I got the Byer of Maine Military Cot. Having never slept on a cot before, I thought it would be interesting to try it out. It fit in my '02 Honda Odyssey just right, and it leaves about 18 inches of space on the other side to work with.

It was fairly comfortable, maybe a little bit hard. It was pretty cold, about 37F. I used a sleeping bag which, I think, is rated for 30F. I still got pretty cold, and I will definitely add more blankets on cold nights. Other than that, I think it was great.

I also made a video about it:

[video=youtube]

I had one of those but it squeaked horribly every time i moved. (gave it to my brother)

Does yours squeak?

I have been sleeping on what looks to be the same cot but in XL with a Cabelas name on it every night since late December.

It was in the low 40's the last few mornings here in SW Fla using no heat at all.

What you need to stay warm is a better air mattress.

I use the Thermarest base camp XL (3" closed cell foam) and I don't need to even use a sleeping bag (on top only like a comforter) unless it's under 50 degrees.

johnny b said:
I had one of those but it squeaked horribly every time i moved. (gave it to my brother)

Does yours squeak?

No, not really. I mean, it might make a little bit of a squeak, but I didn't notice it.

Mr.LooRead said:
I have been sleeping on what looks to be the same cot but in XL with a Cabelas name on it every night since late December.

It was in the low 40's the last few mornings here in SW Fla using no heat at all.

What you need to stay warm is a better air mattress.

I use the Thermarest base camp XL (3" closed cell foam) and I don't need to even use a sleeping bag (on top only like a comforter) unless it's under 50 degrees.

Cool, I will check out that mattress. The Coleman was just lying around the house. Thanks!

get a foam mattress to fit the cot.  Cabela's sells them.  gives you great insulation on the bottom plus makes the cot super comfy.  that's what my buddy uses here's a pic of him.
P8080197 copy.jpg
sometimes he even lets me sleep in it.   highdesertranger

Attachments

• P8080197 copy.jpg
    P8080197 copy.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 27
I also use a closed cell foam pad when I use my cot, for insulation. It definitely makes a big difference.

I spent 6 nights in my Toyota Sienna; with the very back windows cracked open I had almost no condensation inside... although I don't think those open in the Odyssey...

Also was in the 40's and with my sleeping bag opened and used as a blanket I was almost too hot at times...

May look into getting one of those cots and putting a memory foam mattress on top...

myke said:
I spent 6 nights in my Toyota Sienna; with the very back windows cracked open I had almost no condensation inside... although I don't think those open in the Odyssey...

Also was in the 40's and with my sleeping bag opened and used as a blanket I was almost too hot at times...

May look into getting one of those cots and putting a memory foam mattress on top...

The back windows on the Odyssey are supposed to open, but they are notorious for the motor wearing out and not opening. Mine had this problem when I got it. I did some googling and found that there is a fix. I was able to get one window motor fixed, but the other is behind some air conditioning ductwork that I couldn't get out of the way, so I have one window that opens.

I'm definitely going to put more blankets down next time I sleep in it. Probably tonight. I need to stop by Home Depot though and get a thing to make it better.