Coleman Cot (For a Bed)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterPiper

Reaction score
For COLD weather...... (30F to 40F)

Anyone have this?
Any reason it would not work well for a temporary (removable bedding solution)

I have two 5/8inch closed foam cell pads I can put on top of it to help0 with insulation.
That'll give me nearly an inch and a quarter of good padding and insulation under me between me and the cot.

The last time I slept in the van I slept on the floor and nearly froze.
I'm hoping this will keep me warmer by being nearly a foot off the floor.

Anyone?
Thanks

ColemanCot.jpg

Attachments

• ColemanCot.jpg
    ColemanCot.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 40
shadowmoss said:
The only way to really know is to try it.

So you mean to tell me forums like this are useless for asking RV living questions ??

Dog GON IT !!!

Well ok then.  I'm taking your good advice and ordered it.
I guess I'll see how it does.

Gotsta be better than sleeping on that steel floor !
I was shivering so hard last time the van was rocking....but I wasn't having any fun I assure you.

Put storage underneath it for added insulation. If the foam pads aren’t thick enough and you still feel cold, try a thicker one, or if space is an issue, a self-inflating backpacking pad. (Not an air mattress! The foam-filled ones.) The cot itself should be fine if the rest of your “sleep system” (mattress, bedding, sleepwear) is good.

My father used to use this exact bed when he goes on off-roading trips. He has never complained about the cold just using it with a regular (not sub-zero) sleeping bag. He has a folding bed that's a little larger now that we gave him as a gift (bought it at Sam's club when it was on sale) that is a bit larger and better mattress.

PeterPiper said:
For COLD weather...... (30F to 40F)

Anyone have this?
Any reason it would not work well for a temporary (removable bedding solution)

I have two 5/8inch closed foam cell pads I can put on top of it to help0 with insulation.
That'll give me nearly an inch and a quarter of good padding and insulation under me between me and the cot.

The last time I slept in the van I slept on the floor and nearly froze.
I'm hoping this will keep me warmer by being nearly a foot off the floor.

Anyone?
Thanks

Have one in my Astro van for over 10 yrs, love it. added a few pads for additional comfort.

Just back from a 1500 mile road trip.
Got a chance to try out the new cot last week.
I ended up buying the slightly more expensive KingCamp Cot because of all the complaints about the Coleman cot.
[img=550x400]https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/713km-kHpuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg[/img]

Spent a little over a week in cold temps that varied from 45F to 30F

As suggested, raising yourself off the floor worked wonders.   With two closed cell foam pads on top of the cot and the diesel heater on low, I had to open the windows to get cool air during the night.   I was totally comfortable and warm all night.   Only needed a light blanket and sometimes kicked it off due to it being a bit too warm.  A good sleeping bag would probably work now without the heaters.
But it's really nice to jump back into a warm van after bouncing out for those 3am wee wee runs in the freezing temps lol

Next trip I'll use my 2kw diesel heater because the 5Kw was a bit overkill in a vehicle that small.

I went with a cot in this vehicle because it is my backup Caravan and I want to remove the bed (cot) when not using it for camping or travel.
Everyone who said so was spot on...getting up off the floor was the key.   I'd bet that air mattress would have been comfortable 16" off the van floor.

I also had the new window insulation installed so that helped too but I'm not sure I really needed it.   But it didn't hurt and also gave me fantastic privacy and the ability to sleep as late as I wanted too by keeping the inside dark especially under those bright rest stops lights.

Cold problem solved.   Thanks for all the good advice.

Campor99 said:
Have one in my Astro van for over 10 yrs, love it. added a few pads for additional comfort.

Cool.
Seems yours held up well.
I saw a lot of quality complaints about the Coleman on Amazon.

I built a canvas cot into my cargo trailer.... two 1-1/2" EMT conduit pipes and two yards of 14 0z canvas material. What a real nice and comfortable bed for around $40 when I built it.

StacyK said:
Put storage underneath it for added insulation. If the foam pads aren’t thick enough and you still feel cold, try a thicker one, or if space is an issue, a self-inflating backpacking pad. (Not an air mattress! The foam-filled ones.) The cot itself should be fine if the rest of your “sleep system” (mattress, bedding, sleepwear) is good.

Thanks.
This is pretty much spot on for my experience last week.

I used two 3/4" closed cell foam pads.  Couldn't feel any cold underneath.

Has anyone tried an air mattress raised off the floor?
I probably won't go back to using it but I do still have it....trying to find some use for it.

PeterPiper said:
I ended up buying the slightly more expensive KingCamp Cot because of all the complaints about the Coleman cot.

Did you have enough headroom in the Caravan to sit up on the cot?

PeterPiper said:
Has anyone tried an air mattress raised off the floor?

My parents used to do a lot of pickup camping and slept on an air mattress over their storage containers. They slept warm enough with the gear they had. But in the middle of the night when temperatures dropped, the air would shrink and the mattress would sag. When they tried heating it with a 12v mattress pad, the mattress would swell and roll them off. Turn it off, sag. Turn it on, roll. They did not get many sound nights of sleep. (They also like to tell a good story, so take it for what it’s worth.)

Get a cot that is 30 inches wide, I did not see dimensions on the one you posted. If you put your foam pads on top you should be warm. It might be more comfortable with an inflatable backpacking pad on top of the foam. You can get massage table sheets that will fit over the whole thing.

slow2day said:
Did you have enough headroom in the Caravan to sit up on the cot?

Yes.  And I'm kinda tall in the upper torso  :)

The Dodge Caravan is "doable" if you don't have too much baggage and you can deal with tight spaces.
I find that camping in it where I spend the night inside it but most of the day on the outside a pretty good compromise.

Adding a portable awning and an external tent with outside tables gives the feeling of a much larger living space. (Where possible)

StacyK said:
My parents used to do a lot of pickup camping and slept on an air mattress over their storage containers. They slept warm enough with the gear they had. But in the middle of the night when temperatures dropped, the air would shrink and the mattress would sag. When they tried heating it with a 12v mattress pad, the mattress would swell and roll them off. Turn it off, sag. Turn it on, roll. They did not get many sound nights of sleep. (They also like to tell a good story, so take it for what it’s worth.)

lol.
This had me laughing....just the idea and all   :p

skyl4rk said:
Get a cot that is 30 inches wide, I did not see dimensions on the one you posted.  If you put your foam pads on top you should be warm.  It might be more comfortable with an inflatable backpacking pad on top of the foam. You can get massage table sheets that will fit over the whole thing.

Cool.
I'll look into that
thanks

I am interested in a foam mattress that stays comfortable for a long time.  The one I have now is 18 months old and is sagging/ getting soft.  Have you used this mattress a long time?

I have used this mattress off and on for about a year and a half. It hasn't been slept on continuously for that time frame. I use it every time I go out on an "adventure" so I am guessing that the total of nights I have slept on it is about two months worth. It is still good at this time.