Buying Land

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I paid about $3000 for an acre of open desert in Apache Co. where camping on one's land full time is allowed.

This is what I paid for 2 years ago. A compatible lot will cost more in reality now. My current hurdle is how to get a domicile when my land has a warranty deed registered with the county and an outline on the map, but no address.
Camping full time on one’s land in an RV in Apache County is not allowed per county ordinances. Not sure who told you that or why but unfortunately such rumors do take hold in the nomadic community. But it is easy enough to double check as county ordinances are published on the internet at the county .gov websites. I just checked out your statement and it is not true. There are time restrictions as well as official camping permits involved.

I have been watching some of this guys vid's on youtube https://www.youtube.com/@FrugalOffGrid and he sells info on permits for Apache County, that I would probably buy if I was thinking about buying land there. He has some great idea's on water storage also.

I have been watching some of this guys vid's on youtube https://www.youtube.com/@FrugalOffGrid and he sells info on permits for Apache County, that I would probably buy if I was thinking about buying land there. He has some great idea's on water storage also.
Or you can just do your homework and find the publicly available information for free.

Depends on your situation I suppose.

Apache County AZ has regulations regarding camping on your own private land. A camping permit is required to be applied for. There is no charge for the permit but there is definitely a time limit involved for how long and how often you can camp on your property. You cannot just pull in and stay as long as you want to.
IMG_1702.jpeg

Last edited:
Buying land is in my humble opinion almost always a good idea we bought our land/home 33 yrs ago for 149,000 and just turned down 1 million. We could move and live very happy someplace else, but this is home. We got a reverse mortgage a few years ago and don't need to move since we don't want to. The value here jumped very high a few years ago when the train stopped next to the ferry and it became very easy to commute into Seattle and Seattle is going nuts!
The first house we bought I was 17, the next house we bought I was 20. We have always made good profit from buying and selling our houses.
But I have also seen a few folks get burned really badly in some private deals There is one lot here in our neighborhood that the owner keeps "selling" and then rips the new owner off because there is no access to the lot and HE owns the only other lot that they would need to use to get equipment to the lot. There is also a creek that is protected for some critter or something so no building on it. He has done this to many times for it not to be on purpose. So I guess what I am saying is, be careful and check everything with someone who really knows the land use laws etc.