Buying a 2018 Promaster 1500 - NOT high top tomorrow …

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PattySprinter

Reaction score
Buying a 2018 Promaster 1500 - NOT high top tomorrow …

I have planned for last two years to do this - now I am so unsure.
Found a new van for what I think is a decent price ($20k) from a dealer.
It is only 5'7" inside and I am 5'10" … maybe that will work ok?

Frustrating though that they won't give more than $500 for older trade ins - I have an absolutely lovely 2007 Volvo station wagon and I just dread selling it myself :dodgy:

I have all the stuff I will need to put in it … just do not plan on doing any sort of "build out" for a long, long time.

Any advice?

Sell your car yourself and have a trusted friend be the contact and do all the negotiations. You just have to do the paperwork.

On the van, find out how much you have to tilt your head to fit that height. Now, play like it is raining outside all day. Everytime you get up to do something that day make sure you fit under that height. If you can do that you might be ok with the short top.

That kind of investment deserves making sure it 'fits' you. Personally, I'd have no less than a 2500 but I don't know your specific scenario.

Buy a high top. If you are not sure, dont buy it. Sell your car on your own.

John

OMG - OK … Walk with raincoat on and head tilted 3" to the side … I will put the car on FB marketplace once I have the van … and I don't know the difference between a 1500 and a 2500 - I will google now.
I am in Alabama … any suggestions on which direction (places) to drive once I am in the van?

Which translates to; go food shopping, do your laundry, see a movie, visit museums, have lunch with a friend, make it a travel day, do errands, etc. Save anything that keeps you out of the van for rainy day when possible. Nothing worse than spending multiple days stuck in a van regardless of height. Why do chores or spend time inside on a nice day if there is ran in the forecast later in the week. With a little forethought, you rarely have to weather the storm inside.

reflex439 said:
With a little forethought, you rarely have to weather the storm inside.

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts.
I am going to go to a dealership close to my house today and give the hightops a good look.
It is just a big investment - but I am old-ish, not greatest health, not mechanically inclined and I feel safer with a new warranteed car.

Billyidol said:
Buy a high top. If you are not sure, dont buy it. Sell your car on your own. John

I agree with this. If you are unsure, that is your gut maybe telling you “no”.

Do some research on the value of your car, and do sell it yourself with the help of a trusted friend.

To me, having the ability to stand up inside my living space would be critical.

If you can’t afford a high top, consider a small tent to attach to the rear to extend your living space when you are in one place for a few days or more.

Good luck!

I hope you can get the high roof. I'm like you, in that I'm older and need a trustworthy vehicle. I could spend the same money and get a big old used RV but I chose a van with a warranty instead. Because I'm tall as well, I'm a little disappointed that the high roof isn't higher, but it is what it is. The Transit gives three inches more interior height than the Promaster in the high roof vans. You might want to test drive both of them. Don't get in too much of a hurry. I'm going through the same thing. I'll be giving my car to a relative.

I have had my Promaster 2500 136wb high roof for about two months now and I'm very happy with it. I second what everyone is saying about getting a high roof. Do it. It's worth it, both in overall space in in getting around the van.

Also, I suggest strongly that you look at a 2500 rather than a 1500 at the very least. This is not primarily due to weight or towing capacity, but for the brakes. To paraphrase the Promaster expert at the dealership, the 1500 Promaster vans have "car brakes." They're really weak. The 2500 and 3500 models have much better brakes as well as being sturdier in general.

advantages to high roof-

more room for storage shelves -

I am older also so not having to bend over and being able
to stand up straight and not bend neck - back - knees is a Huge advantage

being able to stretch out helps me alot -

Your body will thank you for high roof -

less likely to get closterfobic

disadvantages - cost
more effected by wind -
few parking garage high enough

I have High roof transit and the Only time I regret it is
highway speed on windy day -
dont know how much more it gets blown around
than a lower roof van tho - never driven low roof van

Wow - What an ordeal. I went and checked out the 1500 and the 2500 today.
There is no way I could function well in the 1500 - I purchased the 2500.
I had a guardian angel - a youtuber that I have never met in person - text me and advise me through the entire time at the dealership.
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and wisdom - I do feel so blessed to be part of such an awesome community <3

I hope it serves you extremely well as your gallant steed.

Congratulations, Patty! What is the difference between the 1500 and 2500?

I went to the Ram dealership a few times but never got good answers...

travelaround said:
Congratulations, Patty! What is the difference between the 1500 and 2500?

I went to the Ram dealership a few times but never got good answers...

I believe the engine and transmission are the same - and I think the brakes are more substantial in the 2500.
So when I got into the back of the 1500 I was bent over - I am 5'10" - and it is so small. The price I saw at Aikens website (in GA) was $26k out the door … the 2500 on the other hand was $33 out the door.
To me, it was worth the extra $7k for the added width, length and height - because I plan on having this van (God willing) for years.
Honestly, my (adult) kids think I am looney tunes to do this :s
Thank you all again - you all really are great!

Congrats!

The 2500 will most likely have not only stronger brakes, but also probably a heavier frame, stiffer springs, better shocks, and maybe things like auxilary oil cooler, transmission cooler, tow package, and possibly, more towing capacity and maybe a slightly shorter axle ratio.

Maybe not all of these things, but some of them.

The 2500 size in any van usually makes for a better platform for a build, compared to a 1500.

You done good!