Buy propane heater or use stove?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can vouch for the Olympian Wave 3 ... with the proper venting for O2, I warm up the truck bed/topper when I first enter, turn it off before climbing into the sleeping bag, and turn it on again when I wake up to take the chill off. In most cases, and some fairly frigid temps, I rarely have to run it more than 10-15 minutes.

The Olympian is radiant heat (you immediately feel it), as opposed to the Lil' Buddy ceramic heater which kept the top 1 foot of airspace warm, but left me feeling cold at the sleeping bag level. The Olympian is just the ticket (for me) ...

Also, "use the Sensors, Luke" (gas, co, etc.) ... w/o your SO around, you'll need the sensors to yell at you when something goes wrong :)

Yes perfect description how to use the Wave properly.

But do keep the dust away!

For over 3 years I have been running my wave 3 anytime it's below 10c and I'm in my van... including overnight. My maxxair is always 100% open for ventilation. If it's too warm I turn on the maxxair and use it to regulate temperature. I refill a 20lb propane tank every 2 weeks. I live in a regular cargo van, well insulated.

When I had no dedicated heater, I would use an old fashioned pressure cooker. Filled up with water to the max recommended, I would heat it on the stove, but make sure that no steam escaped. Even after turning off the stove, the thermal mass will keep it pretty toasty for a while.

I was in the Pacific Northwest in an Aliner in Juneuary (not a typo). Water was dripping from the ceiling. I did the above and the trailer dried out in just 3-4 hours. Of course I turned off the stove while sleeping. I kept a window and the overhead vent cracked.
Ted

All these discussions about propane and fumes..
Somehow try to find a way to save up enough money to get yourself a heater that vented to the exterior. One that does not create moisture problems inside your RV.

They make such units that run off of various fuels such as wood, coal, propane and diesel. If keeping warm and dry and not breathing fumes is important to you then make it an important priority to put some money aside or find a way to make some extra money so you can achieve it. Sometimes you can find such units on the used market from VW Vans and from boats. But the first step is saying you need one, the second is making it a plan you are working towards.