Buses

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just purchased a 1987 Thomas E350 short school bus (4 window/side) and mostly converted for $4,500.  I was able to get liability insurance through Good Sam and registered as a truck in my home state.  I did have to do some back and forth, sending pictures of the conversion, but it worked.  The insurance underwriters were especially interested in a shot from the front all the way to the back and vice versa.

Also, I live in a state where inspections are required.  The bus had just rolled 100,000 on my trip back from the seller.  For a 30 yr old vehicle, it is in okay condition.  

-Ginny :D

So, do we get to see those pictures you sent to insurance company? You know what they say? Pictures or it didn't happen!

We have been on the fence for a while, this week we pulled the trigger on a 2002 Skoolie, 71 passenger. cat Diesel engine, Allison trans, hydraulic disc brakes, and just a bit of rust after 96000 miles. After 5 minutes in the DMV Monday, I walked out with it registered in our name as a Motor home and the insurance agent will have the policy ready in the morning. Friday we pick it up and drive it home..
We don't know if we will raise the roof or not, but soon we will start a post and include pics on the conversion.
It purrs like a kitten and has no leaks that we could find.
this should be an interesting adventure

I was thinking of naming it "Square tales" (brook trout are nicknamed square tails here in Vermont) with
"anging stories under construction"

Trout said:
We have been on the fence for a while, this week we pulled the trigger on a 2002 Skoolie, 71 passenger.

Wow...ok everyone, say it with me:

Overhang!

Not to be confused with Hangover.

Practice with it, sharp turns, in a parking lot or somewhere...and watch that rear end!

;)

I almost got fired once for saying that over the radio while following a new school bus driver make a turn!

The I had no problem insuring  my shuttle bus. Just kept it the same as on title. E450 cutaway van

I drive class A, overweight and hazmat. Hopefully this won't present much of a problem.....but then again backup cameras sound like a real good investment....
As for insurance, we got a commercial policy for personal use. Body style on the registration was changed to truck.
This will be a 2 year project. We have to get it right the first time....and repair the house to sell after the tenants from hell.