Decisions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OutdoorFT

Reaction score
So, I still havent decided which way I want to go. My end goal is to live on the lower end of the spectrum, but not bare bones. I want to live comfortable, not waste all my time working and enjoy life. 

My main needs:
Room for 5 fur babies
Space to add baby stuff to
Something with large cargo capacity
Preferably autoleveling

I want to go through each of the type of RVs to make sure Im not missing something.

Motorhome-this would be a first RV I would look at for space. However, the maintenance repairs for DP are quite expensive. Then the gas versions Ive been looking at dont have a floor plan that I like, due to the shorter lengths vs DP sizes. With the bus like structure, the places it can get to may be limited (correct me if Im wrong). I dont plan on going that far off the beaten path where only 4x4s go, but I dont want 5 star campground accessibility only.

Travel Trailer-Probably the cheapest and most easy way to get onto the road. However, to get cargo capacity that I may need, this may not be the right choice. Floor plans arent bad in these (for me), since there are so many to pick from. Also storage seems to be lacking.

5th Wheel-I got suggested this type from you fine folks since I have an F350. I noticed they have more interior space, more storage and better floor plans (for me). However, I want something that wont be impossible to get out of a tight spot, which camp sites can get. So I wouldnt want too long of a trailer. But, thatd be giving up space. So, still unknown.

Class C- Cargo capacity is a little too low, space would run out quickly. Even the super Cs, with their outrageous price tag, still havent appealed to me at all. While I like the size of them, they probably wont fit my needs.

Class B- If I didnt have my fur babies, this would be my choice. Simple, enough space for me.

Truck Camper-This is an interesting choice. Thanks to some people here and another forum, there are TCs with alot more space and options than I thought. My size truck isnt ideal, being SRW, but would handle a fairly nice one. Only thing is Id need 2 trucks/campers to have enough room and adequate space for my fur babies.

To guide others, I dont want to be stuck in campgrounds. Seeing sights, being in nature is just as important to us.

So maybe you guys can help me on the motorhome aspect. I would not be getting a toad for it, if that is the route I go. I appreciate any help.

It's going to be hard to accomplish all your needs without some compromises. You laid out your plans, but, I don't think there is some magic vehicle that will do all you wish. Over the last 45 years we have had all versions of rv's. In that time, I have never found the perfect setup. A lot depends on your needs at the time. When it was just wife and me, my truck camper was great. Once children came, a class-c worked best. Then, we expanded our weekend trips to longer, farther excursions, and realized we needed a separate vehicle for side trips.So, we went with bumper pull trailer. That we discovered didn't work too well with only the truck (no room during travel), so we acquired a dodge van to pull the trailer. As the years went by and children went their own way, we bounced back and forth between 5th wheel, class-c again, small class-a, a couple of skoolies, and even back to slide in truck campers. Nothing worked for all our needs (again at the moment). When retirement came, I converted an ex-greyhound motor coach and we went fulltiming with the 2 of us and 3 furr babies. This necessitated pulling an enclosed trailer to carry a vehicle, motorcycle, and miss. stuff. The 60'+ length and low center of gravity limited the access to many places. (you don't want to pay for a wrecker to pull a bus out). We made due, but again, were not perfectly content. After some years on the road, we went back to a house and now have a 37' triple slide motor home and a 24' enclosed trailer for traveling around with the now 8 furr babies. Surprisingly, we have found few places outside of state parks where we couldn't go. Even during the 8 months we spent boondocking out west, we only stayed in one campground for a week. (Tombstone). By prepping ahead of time, we were able to stay for extended times in the middle of nowhere. 
So there you have it. A long winded version of "It will be up to you"  :D

What squatting dog2 said except with your truck you could have a rack/topper combo to haul side trip adventure gear/ pass through for fur babies and pull a large toy hauler for additional vehicle when traveling and "home base" to expand living area while taking day trips to scout areas you might want to try to make your home base in the future. You can have it all, it just takes a lot of work, time and money. Most of us as we get older do simpler and easy it seems.

Fifth wheel trailers are easier to get into and out of tight spots than TT due to their tighter turning radius and shorter overall length and wheelbase compared to a similar length TT. It's possible to "jack knife" a 5W into a 90* spot...and while it's not impossible with a TT, but it is a lot tougher.

Agree with DuneElliot, with your size needs a fiver would be a great choice, and they are far easier to maneuver than a regular TT.

Queen said:
Agree with DuneElliot, with your size needs a fiver would be a great choice, and they are far easier to maneuver than a regular TT.
I owned a small 5th wheeler for a short time, and while they do tow better, maneuver better, etc, you have to dedicate a space in the truck bed, and always have this big plate with a greasy ball in the middle. I prefer to not have that bother, and it would not work with my van anyway.

Thanks for the replies.

So I looked for numbers for towing on my door. This is what I could find. 2011 F350 lariat crew cab 8ft bed

GVWR-11200
Front GAWR-5600
Rear GAWR-7000
CCC-3602 (weird "02")

That is all I could find. Not sure what GAWR is or if it applies to towing. Grabbed the number just in case.

OutdoorFT said:
So I looked for numbers for towing on my door. This is what I could find. 2011 F350 lariat crew cab 8ft bed
<----snip---->
That is all I could find. Not sure what GAWR is or if it applies to towing. Grabbed the number just in case.
Carefully copy your vin number onto a piece of paper, walk in the door of your local Ford dealers service/parts department, present the vin number to the person behind the counter and ask "nicely" if they will run a printout of the vehicles specifications and towing capacities for you. I have done this more than once, and they have gladly printed one out for me. Keep that in your glove box, as you never know when it might come in handy.

Have you looked at fifth wheel toy haulers? Talk about cargo space and room for the dogs!

Five dogs? woof

The only reason I have this trailer is because we had three dogs and even then 25 ft was small. The two bunks are my extra storage along with the SUV

I only have one dog, and I'm looking at toy hauler trailers for the open floor space (stepping over the dog gets old in a hurry) and flexibility.  The huge CCC is a bonus since I don't intend to actually carry any "toys".

I've considered converting a cargo trailer but I'm afraid that would prevent me from staying in RV parks.   I want it to look like an RV on the outside.  In fact, if I could find a travel trailer that was structurally sound and trashed on the inside it would be a perfect project, but they always seem to go the other way - the roof is shot and the floor rotten, but the appliances are like new :(

John, thanks for the link! More helpful than my door sticker.

Not dogs, cats. The 5 in my avatar are the ones in question.

I never considered a toy hauler, as I dont plan on hauling any toys. Ill check it out. Thanks.

Ballenxj said:
I owned a small 5th wheeler for a short time, and while they do tow better, maneuver better, etc, you have to dedicate a  space in the truck bed, and always have this big plate with a greasy ball in the middle. I prefer to not have that bother, and it would not work with my van anyway.

Not completely true. I have an Andersen Ultimate hitch in the back of my truck. While it does take up space while hauling it isn't greasy and it is easy to remove since it only weighs 70lbs (and there are 40lb versions) and can be used with a B&W turnover gooseneck ball hitch for complete access to the truck bed. Sure, a 5W isn't for everyone but my explanation was counter-arguing the OP's point that 5Ws might be a problem for getting in and out of tight spots.

OutdoorFT said:
John, thanks for the link! More helpful than my door sticker.

Not dogs, cats. The 5 in my avatar are the ones in question.

I never considered a toy hauler, as I dont plan on hauling any toys. Ill check it out. Thanks.

The garage in a toy hauler would be a great place to set up a cat room with all their toys, litter boxes and towers etc...add a cat flap from the toy compartment to the main living area and you would be set up like a dream for your kids

DuneElliot said:
 I have an Andersen Ultimate hitch in the back of my truck. While it does take up space while hauling it isn't greasy and it is easy to remove since it only weighs 70lbs (and there are 40lb versions) and can be used with a B&W turnover gooseneck ball hitch for complete access to the truck bed.
Hi, I sent you a PM about a subject not related to this topic.

OP, oddly, that decoder didn't give me a tow rating for an f series I've been looking at

Latest posts