Decisions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seeing as how you have an F350 and you don't want a toad I can almost guarantee you won't be happy with a motorhome, so I'd get rid of those options right away. Once you have camp set up, it's a huge pain to break everything down to go anywhere in the motorhome. Not an issue with a trailer. Both styles have their advantages. Bumper pull leaves the entire bed open for additional storage and you can put a shell on the back for more dry storage. 5th wheels are easier to tow, don't sway as much, and have tighter turning radius. You can also get a longer trailer as some of the length is over the bed of the truck. I think they have better and more usable floor plans. Bumper pull leaves the bed open, are generally cheaper, usually a little less tall, which means less wind drag and easier getting into areas with overhangs.

If it were me, I think i'd start with the 5th wheel as it will give you the most interior space, most storage, and you can utilize the truck you already have. They make 5th wheelers that are less than 30' long. You will be able to get that most places with little difficulty once you have a little practice under your belt.

Thanks for the cat idea! That garage area would be purrrfect for them. :)

I did notice TTs are a bit cheaper, but if I can get more storage (not in truck) th a t would be best. Unless the TT has ample storage (havent seen it)

CautionToTheWind said:
Garage could be the man-cave too
Only reason we are going as big as we are is because of the wife and kids. I only need a stand up closet for my hobbies. Im good with smaller spaces..shes not.

OutdoorFT said:
John, thanks for the link! More helpful than my door sticker.

Not dogs, cats. The 5 in my avatar are the ones in question.

I never considered a toy hauler, as I dont plan on hauling any toys. Ill check it out. Thanks.

A toy hauler for the fury crew would be a good choice ...  nice suggestion

OutdoorFT said:
Only reason we are going as big as we are is because of the wife and kids. I only need a stand up closet for my hobbies. Im good with smaller spaces..shes not.

lol ... a gal cave too ...