Building out the Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ratfink56 said:
 Probably fine as long as you have a buddy that welds aluminum. Around here welders charge by the inch for that.

My lines are steel and not aluminum, I slid under the van yesterday and put a magnet on it to double check. A magnet won't stick to aluminum. I am interested in seeing what he did, because if it is just simply welding it shut, I can do that myself. Learned how to weld years ago, even have a welder to do it with.

Kat

With the heater lines I removed the doghouse and found where the heater hoses came in on the drivers side above where you foot would be if you foot was on the gas pedal.  there are 2 water lines that hook to 5/8 heater hose.  You have to reach up there and cut the hose off the metal tubes there are 2 rubber heater hoses that run to the back of the engine compartment. I cut those hoses off.  I bought a 90 degree 1/2 in elbow and a 90 degree street elbow screwed them together so they formed a "U".   Then  I bought 2 steel metal male adapters at Lowes (apollo #22732) 1/2 inch on one end and 5/8 hose on other end, took 2 pieces of 5/8 heater hose and hose clamps. Clamped everything together and water turns around and I cut the lines from under the van..

closeanuf said:
With the heater lines I removed the doghouse and found where the heater hoses came in on the drivers side above where you foot would be if you foot was on the gas pedal.  there are 2 water lines that hook to 5/8 heater hose.  You have to reach up there and cut the hose off the metal tubes there are 2 rubber heater hoses that run to the back of the engine compartment. I cut those hoses off.  I bought a 90 degree 1/2 in elbow and a 90 degree street elbow screwed them together so they formed a "U".   Then  I bought 2 steel metal male adapters at Lowes (apollo #22732) 1/2 inch on one end and 5/8 hose on other end, took 2 pieces of 5/8 heater hose and hose clamps. Clamped everything together and water turns around and I cut the lines from under the van..

I went out this morning to get a better look, removed the doghouse then followed and marked the lines leading back to the rear heater. The AC guy said he will stop by around noon to help out, so hopefully today I will have the system capped and can remove the rear unit. Thanks Cloeanuf for your help. I sent the AC guy the picture you sent me and he thinks it should be a pretty straight forward job. 

Kat

Helifan93 said:
Looking forward to seeing this build!

Thanks, I can't wait. When the UPS driver showed up yesterday with a ton of stuff I ordered I was like a kid at Christmas. 

Kat

veedub3 said:
Thanks, I can't wait. When the UPS driver showed up yesterday with a ton of stuff I ordered I was like a kid at Christmas. 

Kat
Sounds like me getting my Amazon orders. Love opening the boxes, even though I know what is in them.

Van Update:

I did not get to tinker around with the rear AC/Heating Unit this past weekend as it was Mother's Day weekend and I had a lot going on.

This afternoon I did manage to get the headliner out and those awful prisoner bars off the windows. Now I need to look into getting some window tint because without it, you can see right through the van. For the vans roof, I am thinking fabric covered foam board. Anyone else went that route? I have seen plenty builds where the roof was covered in wood but that just seems like adding a bunch of unnecessary weight to me. 

Hmm.....Just a thought.
Kat
6hPJOkk.png

peQvgVA.png

T7qQNsO.png

I wanted to use foam board also but the way my roof bends near the wall I would hava had to use a separate strip in that area.

I am going to try frp sheets from Home Depot. It's a white plastic 4'x8' sheet 1/16" thick that's corrugated like cardboard. Flexible and super lightweight. $20 a sheet here.

ratfink56 said:
I wanted to use foam board also but the way my roof bends near the wall I would hava had  to use a separate strip in that area.

I am going to try frp sheets from Home Depot. It's a white plastic 4'x8' sheet 1/16" thick that's corrugated like cardboard. Flexible and super lightweight. $20 a sheet here.

I have a few sheets of that in my shop. I use it to cut templates on my CNC machine when I am prototyping. I want some color on my roof, and since I have to insulate it anyway, I thought the fabric covered insulating board would be the easiest. When I removed the headliner, I did see an area in front of the rear passenger doors that may give me some issues, but I still think it might work. However, tomorrow I will take a piece of the FRP outside into the van just to see what I would be working with. 

Kat

ratfink56 said:
Let me know how it goes.

Went out with the FRP to the van yesterday, It is thin enough that it can bend and mold to any shape which is s plus, how were you thinking of installing this? 

Kat

Can't decide if I want to go side to side or front to rear.

Either way I will probably use luan strips screwed to the roof braces to hold it up. Comes in various sizes up to 4x8 feet. Light and fairly flexible.

Or glued. Haven't looked into that.

veedub3 said:
The Layout I came up with this morning. Not sure if this will be the final design, but just playing around with the space. 

Q4Rlr4O.png

I decided to go for the stationary bed. I am not into having to move stuff around and reconfigure things just so that I can lay down. I am also thinking about placing a bench in front of the bed, as opposed to the two seats. Again this may change as I get closer to the build, Right now I need to go out and remove the headliner, and those awful cage things over the windows.

Kat

Whats the size of the bed on this?