Building a wetbath

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I considered the same problem. Combined with the absolute requirement that the solution could not contain any solvents

So.. there is an additional product "geo textile" which is specifically designed to imbed in the wet rubber while applying to the wall. This is across all cracks and spaces. Using the foundation sealant it will make that edge water proof. I'll use it to close the spaces at corners and the pan below.

So..I got a small sample and rolled it on a sample board. I do not like the "industrial" feel to the resulting look. Hence my need to use something over it.

As far as making the tub also removable....well..maybe a preformed "skirt"? Don't know how to solve that.

Vagabound said:
The specific problem is the conflict between a sealed wall, regardless of materials, and the use of the bin as a shower pan / tub. With only a sealed wall on the back side, and no shower curtain there, any water running down the wall would continue down the wall past the crack between the wall and the tub and eventually land on the floor. At the moment, the shower curtain redirects that into the tub.

The only idea I thought of so far is to have a sealed plywood wall on the back side right down to where it joins the tub, and then install some sort of transition piece that covers the crack between the wall and the tub. Like a skirt that is tightly fastened to the wall at the top. Whatever method I use, it would have to be flexible, because I want to be able to move the tub a little bit and even take it out when needed.

Anyway, that describes my dilemma, such as it is. Any ideas welcome.

Tom

What about a basic hooped curtain rod?  Hoop Shower Curtain Rod

[img=300x400]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81RewJtdoOL._SL1500_.jpg[/img]

Or a hula hoop

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh...so to answer the question...if I am going to vinyl tile the walls, why use rubber product?

Well...my big fear is that somehow, some way water gets in behind the vinyl. Even a little tiny crack would be enough to cause damage. So...I never want to deal with water damage again. Heading this off before it is even possible is my first goal. "Ounce of prevention...."and all that

Basic hooped curtain rod / hula hoop:
Even though I don't have a complete loop, I do have the shower curtains pulled across the back wall as if I had a complete loop. In other words, it's already functioning like a complete loop shower now.

Less than satisfying. I'll keep scratching my head on it. Because the shower minimally functions at this point, I've moved on to bigger fish (or the herd of tiny fish that needs to be tamed ;-).

Tom

Vagabound said:
My wet bath dilemma:
I have built a wet bath/shower in my truck. As described elsewhere, it consists mostly of a Rubbermaid bin, two shower curtains with a custom curtain rod, and a modified bug sprayer.Two solid walls, and the other two sides open to the living space.

... I'm using two overlapping shower curtains which hang down into the tub to create a waterproof space. That isn't ideal for a few reasons. In any case, that has me thinking about doing something different on the back wall of the shower, which is plywood. 

The specific problem is the conflict between a sealed wall, regardless of materials, and the use of the bin as a shower pan / tub. With only a sealed wall on the back side, and no shower curtain there, any water running down the wall would continue down the wall past the crack between the wall and the tub and eventually land on the floor. At the moment, the shower curtain redirects that into the tub.

Good morning, Tom.

Oh, good morning to you, too, Tom.

(just love talking to myself ;-)

----------

I thought I would provide an update on the problem I described and the solution that I chose to fix the shower stall problem. This may be a stopgap or it may turn out to be permanent. 

Instead of changing anything with the back wall or adding a skirt, I used a simple two-step solution.

First, I rotated the shower curtains so that the splits between curtains are now in the corners where I needed them for other reasons. That solved the problem on the back wall by having one continuous shower curtain all the way around the back, keeping the water inside from the nozzle at the top all the way to the bottom of the tub.

Second, I needed to deal with the splits between the curtains. On one side up against the wall, I don't need to enter and exit, so I just overlapped the curtains and let the curtains share two shower curtain rings at the top. That is working well so far. 

The other side was trickier. At the point where the curtains meet I need two things -- a watertight overlap, and the ability to enter and exit through that split. As I was waking up one morning, staring at the shower, I got an idea. As John Ritter said in Sling Blade, "it just came over me in a rush." It's pretty hard to explain in a post, so I just took a picture to show you. The short version is that I came up with overlapping shower bars to match the overlapping curtains. My design allows the curtains to be closed and overlapped, or open and completely separated. So far, so good.

Tom