Budgeting

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syfyinsanebabies

Reaction score
Getting a jump start as a newishbee lol and trying to figure out what to budget for. I do have kids lol. If that helps and name everything you can think of even if obvious like fuel or savings lol. I'm ok with it.

What's in your expense list? That's helpful too

Thanx

If you visit an Office Supply/stationary store you may find some family budget planning tablets that aren't too expensive. Some are simple approaches and some more complicated.

A lot of people are put off by "budgeting" because they think they are so rigid. But understand you may have to go over budget at times and at other times can come in under budget. Having it on a paper tablet may be better than on a computer should the computer crash. These aren't that expensive.

This one is just an example in Amazon

Simplified Monthly Budget Planner

Here are some free software for budgeting

Best free budgeting tools of 2023

Getting a jump start as a newishbee lol and trying to figure out what to budget for. I do have kids lol. If that helps and name everything you can think of even if obvious like fuel or savings lol. I'm ok with it.

What's in your expense list? That's helpful too

Thanx
Besides the obvious, like insurance and food - gas, regular oil changes, and saving for the next set of tires

As strange as this might sound at first, entertainment. I know everyone is supposed to be enthralled by nature, and that's always a good thing. But how you spend your time and what things do you enjoy doing will make a difference in your wallet over time.

Everyone is different in their preferences. And some things cost nothing while others are a splurge for many. Don't find yourself in a spot where you love everything but the boredom.

Don't be idealistic. Make sure you account for it. It'll make a difference between enjoyment and existing.

If you visit an Office Supply/stationary store you may find some family budget planning tablets that aren't too expensive. Some are simple approaches and some more complicated.

A lot of people are put off by "budgeting" because they think they are so rigid. But understand you may have to go over budget at times and at other times can come in under budget. Having it on a paper tablet may be better than on a computer should the computer crash. These aren't that expensive.

Yes thanx. Nice idea. I have a lidt so far written in my notebook of what I kno now I'll need but I was asking too in case I missed anything to add. I will look at them but everything is expensive to me I have $1 to my name lol. Do unless my smile can pay for it I just make a list for free in my notebook.

And thanks for the free software links. I forgot to thank you lol

Don't forget an emergency fund & a TIF fund (Things I Forgot) until you get the budget fined tuned.
That's an obvious lol and the TiF is what I'I'asking so i dont lol i have about 13 itens listed already just added 3 to make the 13. Thank you

As strange as this might sound at first, entertainment. I know everyone is supposed to be enthralled by nature, and that's always a good thing. But how you spend your time and what things do you enjoy doing will make a difference in your wallet over time.

Everyone is different in their preferences. And some things cost nothing while others are a splurge for many. Don't find yourself in a spot where you love everything but the boredom.

Don't be idealistic. Make sure you account for it. It'll make a difference between enjoyment and existing.
I have 2 kids thats a list automatic lol especially for my son..thanks

When I made my budget in 1990, I figured I'd spend around $10k/yr (about double in today's money), but I spent <$3k/yr.

I actually was enthralled by nature... wandering around the "neighborhood" to see what the critters were up to. Sitting awhile, walking awhile. No phone, internet, or even computer in those days, and hardly anyone camping on public land. No solar, no refrigerator or cooler, no heat; simple. Driving to town once a week for supplies doesn't take a lot of gas.

Anyway, it can be done cheap or expensive. Doing lots of driving is expensive (usually >50 cents per mile if you are realistic), and so is having all the "stuff" that you are accustomed to... which needs to be maintained/repaired/replaced on a regular basis.

When I made my budget in 1990, I figured I'd spend around $10k/yr (about double in today's money), but I spent <$3k/yr.

I actually was enthralled by nature... wandering around the "neighborhood" to see what the critters were up to. Sitting awhile, walking awhile. No phone, internet, or even computer in those days, and hardly anyone camping on public land. No solar, no refrigerator or cooler, no heat; simple. Driving to town once a week for supplies doesn't take a lot of gas.

Anyway, it can be done cheap or expensive. Doing lots of driving is expensive (usually >50 cents per mile if you are realistic), and so is having all the "stuff" that you are accustomed to... which needs to be maintained/repaired/replaced on a regular basis.
I don't intend to move around a lot but still need to educate and entertain my 2 kids. They will be simple entertained only but for so long I think lol. My son loves outside and such my daughter has discovered her teens and well....

Personally I wouldn’t even attempt to make a budget until I knew what I was currently spending money on. Way too often folks will ‘create’ a budget on paper and then discover that they can’t stay within those limits. Their ‘budget’ is artificial and that causes it to be way too difficult to follow. That’ll cause you to be discouraged and eventually just give up. It’s much better to know your current expenses and then determine if those expenses are necessary.

Include laundry expense in your budget. Rugs and bedding need a washing more often when living in the wild. Plus the frequent trips to the propane store was unexpected at first. Good luck. I don’t think of a budget as strict, but rather putting a name on each dollar before you spend it.

I don't intend to move around a lot but still need to educate and entertain my 2 kids. They will be simple entertained only but for so long I think lol. My son loves outside and such my daughter has discovered her teens and well....
Doh! Somehow I missed that your kids are young and living with you! That's a whole bunch of stuff I don't know about...

It would be good to plan at a 5-year level, another words have a a 5-year plan/forecast. In this plan you will want to annualize tire replacements; truck = ($1400/60 = need to be saving $24 a month, the trailer tires also. A starter battery $200/48 =$4 month. One $3000 major repair in 4 years = $60 a month. A couple of minor repairs in 5 years $2000/60 = $35/mo. Most people won't do this. they will just put the unplanned expenditure on the credit card and end up paying triple over time. You need an emergency reserve so that you dont rely on the credit card and discipline to put away about $150 month for time based replacement's. Remember most people doing this are not driving 2023 $90K Ford F-350's with 60 month extended warranty, from what I am seeing, a lot of people are dispersed living in 15 year old vehicle's, repairs are out of wallet. When I was a teen, I would go to Pepboys for the three $20 items, the starter, alternator and water pump. A friend just had starter replaced and it cost $1000, the dealership had to disassemble the engine to get to it.

A friend just had starter replaced and it cost $1000, the dealership had to disassemble the engine to get to it.
Ought to be illegal, but it's become common. Even with the gargantuan hood and engine bay on my truck, they couldn't figure out how to make the starter and alternator accessible. $1000 for each... for real... mostly labor. Used to be I could fix this stuff in the boonies in a couple minutes, and the part was <$100.

Regarding the budget, it's tough when you are dealing with repairs and such... which could be a little or a lot. IMO, have at least $10k in the bank to start, a vehicle in good working order, and have at least $200/mo more coming in than your monthly expenses. In other words that $10k should be increasing rather than going down, unless there is a major issue.

Or you can just live on the edge of disaster constantly. Plenty of people seem to prefer that for some reason...

A lot of people believe that... but it's actually unfeasible for very few. There are many crazy things going on in our society, and the "need" to live beyond your means is one of those.