Budget vs Less Budget Trailer and Depreciation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EliNomad

Reaction score
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, tahoma, geneva, lucida,]Hey guys. I'm an extremely budget conscious person interested in getting into full time Rv'ing. It just seems like a way cooler way to live, and if I'm lucky, cheaper, than spending all my money on rent and doing nothing in an apartment.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, tahoma, geneva, lucida,]So to my actual question. How does buying a cheaper used older RV trailer compare to a newer one? To my knowledge depreciation on RV's is severe. So buying a more expensive one doesnt really feel like an investment. By the time its payed off its worth nothing (or at least way less). At that point I feel like I should just get something cheap. I've also heard a lot about Rv's not exactly being built to last. So it sounds like getting something cheap and replacing stuff with more quality parts could be a better lasting solution, and that even a new one might not hold up well to year round use. And the longer things last the longer until I have to replace it, saving me money monthly. Which add's up.[/font]

For example. Getting a 25k RV I'll be paying off for a while, and by the time I'm done it will be worth way less and I might have to replace/upgrade it anyway. So at that point couldn't I just get a 4-10k, and upgrade it if needed, and have something better in the end? I'm looking at 20-25 footers if it matters. My goal is to keep my monthly RV costs low so that my actual monthly living stays low.

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, tahoma, geneva, lucida,]But I'm new to all of this. So how right/wrong am I? Is going budget the way to go, or am I missing something? Budget could be a money pit.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, tahoma, geneva, lucida,]Thanks for any info guys [/font]
smile.gif

Welcome to the CRVL forums EliNomad! Buying used is the best bet most of the time. The first owner takes the depreciation hit and also has to fix any little problems that crop up but some RVs are made much better than others so those are the ones you should be looking for. Examples of this are molded fiberglass trailers like Casitas, class Bs that use a van chassis and do not destroy the integrity of the structure, and quality class Cs such as Bornfree or Tiger. You'll pay more but get an RV that will last for years. There isn't an easy way to improve a cheaply made RV. The interior parts in RVs such as refrigerators, furnaces, etc, are basically the same in all RVs so the difference in price is due to the quality of the build not the things that you can replace.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

I also am on a budget and have a low skill set when it comes to building  much. Because of that I did look at some lower priced c class rv... even a trailer to tow. For me I found them to be cheaply made at my budget. I then looked at buying a cargo trailer and building it out.  They were fairly inexpensive and have a great interior space to put exactly what I want inside. YOu know when you build your own you are aware of what is behind a wall and the quality of work that went into it. I changed my mind when I began adding in the cost of a vehicle to tow it as well..

I think a van is perfect, at least for me. They can go many more places than an rv or trailer can, easier to maneuver as well.  You can find good running rigs for fairly cheaply..mine was a song. You don't h ave to get something brand new to be strong. Gut it and build it out. There are many comfortable "homes" in these vans. I think a good job inside and it is going to go up in value as long as you maintain the mechanicals.

You don't want to spend all your money paying rent and doing nothing inside of an apt. why do the same in a 20 some foot rv?

I think vans are the way to go, with or without a hightop. In my part of the country they sell fast, build it out nicely and in a couple years or so you can sell it for a profit...or darn close to one. ROI with a van I think is highest.

Good luck. Keep us informed of your choice and your progress!

Thanks for the solid info guys!

Is good to know that most of the quality in better ones is in the body. Hopefully this means I can get something a bit older that's been well taken care of but was higher end when it was new to get a good balance of cost with a good body. I have plenty of time to research luckily, I wont be moving out for a while.

I actually found Rv'ing from looking up skoolies. But I feel like they have a lot of cons like a lot of places not taking skoolies (I feel like I want to try and be able to stay in cheap campgrounds but that could change). Making a DIY camper from a trailer could be a cool similar option but I'm worried it could have the same issue as a skoolie haha. And the other main skoolie issue being the same as motorhomes in that driving around is harder vs a normal towing vehicle.

On towing vs motorhome, I feel like I'm better going with trailer for a couple reasons. Once I'm hooked up I cant go drive anywhere (aka get groceries and stuff). Trailer I can just drive off while my trailer is set up. Also although my current car cant tow (its a ford edge, the tow capacity is garbage lol), I might try to sell it and spend a few more K and get a slightly newer Ford Expedition or something that has decent towing for only a minimal cost increase. Then I can have a fully paid off towing car and trailer. Seems like a decent idea at least. But a lot of people seem to live in motorhomes so I'm wondering if I'm missing some good pros to a nice class c? I'm anti class A because I heard they are way less safe in a crash due to not having a normal truck cabin with engine in front and stuff to take the hit. Not that I plan to crash but. Safety is a nice perk haha.

For 20 ft vs van, I respect the van people but I feel like I want a little more space. My thought is its a super minimal apartment I can chill in when I want and for working (20-25ft is enough to set up my computer setup and have a bed and a stove. All I need haha). But my 'apartment' will be in a much nicer location promoting going out. And I can change locations, etc. So a decent balance. But I guess if I could fit this in my van I could be converted :p

There are some super cool van builds that utilize the space in some pretty nifty ways. You can have a nice computer space in a van. Hopefully you will spend more time parked down at the beach and walking barefoot on the sand more than you will inside a metal box.. whether its a van or a c class.

You can also have a hitch on van and can tow a trailer as well if you like. I thought about that at doing so at one time but I have quite a bit of space.. I have no idea what I would put in a trailer but that is an option as well. If you have to get a tow vehicle.. why not get a strong van with a hitch?

Its pretty exciting to be at your stage of researching and exploring options. Bob Wells has done a few videos about owning a used rv..he doesn;t seem to be a big fan just because of the headaches of craftsmanship and costs. His videos about them put me right off on buying one.

But... I really really  do want to get a 73 GMC rv to restore and build out.. they are amazing... to me.gmc.jpg

Definitely my next purchase. I have seen some rundown ones for  a couple grand.  I think it would be alot of fun to restore.

Attachments

• gmc.jpg
    gmc.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 5
Hmm that van looks pretty cool. I'll have to give them more thought. When I was thinking van I was thinking small van, but thats like a small bus.
I'd also like to think I'd spend more time on the beach than on my computer but the computer is where the $$$ is made and how I hang out with my friends so its still a good thing to be able to have. A van can still have the issue of not wanting to drive it once hooked up but that could heavily vary depending on location and how I'm living in it. If I wasnt hooked up all the time I dont need to worry about that, and if I was hooked up close to the store I could literally ride my bike haha.

There is some excitement in the research. Theres so many different options and possibilities. I'm just hoping the idea doesnt fall apart when I find some cost issues or something. Like it occurred to me that a lot of the places I'd go to for cheap camping also have way cheaper rent than where I am now. But those could still cost more than RV'ing and then I'd just be stuck there and still wouldn't get a lot of experiences in. Which I feel like would do huge things for my life. I feel like so many people just get sucked into the cycle of work, go home, sleep, repeat, and I'd probobly be one of them. But Rv'ing would change that. Which is part of what makes it sound so cool.

I think your plan is solid. Finding an older quality trailer that has been well cared for will be the challenge. They are out there, they are the ones that have caulking 1” wide around the roof vents with a super clean roof (no rubber roofs) and no water stains inside owned by someone that got to old to climb a ladder. Holiday Rambler, Big Foot and Artic Fox brands come to mind. Some start with a Cargo trailer as some are built with a heavier chassis but building it out is a big job. Look around RV and trailer parks in the south west you may find a good deal although usually larger trailers so a larger tow vehicle is required but I looked at a couple that were $6000 to $11000 that were good buys usually people’s health caused them to move closer to town or family. The 10 year old rule only applies in you stay in upscale RV parks. I would check out owner’s clubs for particular brands as well as for advice and things to look for as well as trailers.

Thanks for the information. Those brands definitely seem to cost more but I guess that just shows the higher quality. So I'll keep my eyes open for something good. Building something from a trailer could be cool but that might be too much work but I can look into it while I check out my options.

I've done the cabin tent thing, the converted cargo trailer thing, the van thing, the motorhome thing, the tent trailer thing, the pickup camper shell thing... and for ME....I'm really liking what I have finally settled on: A 4WD pickup with topper, and pulling a very small (<20ft) travel trailer.

Decent flexibility, maneuverability, minimal cost (and complexity) of replacing either unit, maximum usability at the campsite.

Decent fuel mileage, ability to run errands without having to break camp, I can go just about anywhere I'd want to go, with my lifted camper and 4WD pickup. It was reasonably priced, its comfy for me and my dog, and I can carry a boatload of supplies and equipment in the pickup bed under the camper shell. 

But, this is not the solution for everyone.... my point is it will take you a while to figure out what suits YOU the best...your first RV will probably not be your last.

Good luck!

I picked up a 1987 Gulfstream on an E350 it is 26 feet long. My total cost to purchase it was $846.00 that included a tow bill to move it across town. It did not run due to a carburetor that needed to be rebuilt. I picked it up out of an insurance auction because of the carb issue there was a small fire in the engine bay but with only about $20.00 worth of parts damaged. I changed all the belts and hoses as well as the oil service and new Carb for about $500.00. I am currently working on the interior and removing a lot of unneeded and unwanted things. that includes removing some windows and the rooftop A/C unit.
 So said all of that to say this If you figure out what you want, research where you can find more budget-minded items. Learn how to work on as much of what you buy yourself if you are physically able and then jump in commit to seeing the plan through. Plan the work and work the plan.

n0zbh said:
 So said all of that to say this If you figure out what you want, research where you can find more budget-minded items. Learn how to work on as much of what you buy yourself if you are physically able and then jump in commit to seeing the plan through. Plan the work and work the plan.
Thanks, this is extra relevant advice to me. I'm one of the many people who overthinks everything and then ends up not even going through with it after having data overload haha.

And @tx2sturgis thanks for the input, I do feel pretty sold on the trailer idea unless I find something that changes my mind (which at this early stage is still very possible haha). It just feels like an all around rounded option thats less likely to have issues. Or at least hopefully less possible issues. And sadly you are right in that most people and up with something different than their initial plan so I might end up joining you some day with a list of all the things I tried haha.

My advice, which is worth the price, is start inexpensive. I started with a $3500 30yo class C. I lived in it for a year and sold it for $3000. I traded up to a 20yo class A I paid $6000 for and my cat and I are still living in it. I had a friend who is a retired mechanic who has owned several types of RVs check both out for obvious issues.

The class C was just too small for me at the time, and too old. I had health issues and found I just wasn't as mechanically inclined as I once was. Because I didn't have much into it it wasn't dramatic to just use it as a learning experience. Living in it gave me the knowledge to know what to look for in the next rig.

Once I was in the RV culture and I had my eyes open I stumbled onto the current setup. It won't be my last RV but works well for now and for a few years I hope.

Thanks for the advice! I've looked at some super old things on like facebook marketplace just to get a gauge for pricing and stuff, and I've seen some super cheap old stuff, from 3.6k trailers, 6k RV's and vans etc. And Theres not much more depreciation to happen when its already one of the lowest price things you can find. I'm just worried something super old might just fall apart. My car work knowledge is about as bad as it can get, although I'd like to be better. When I was in highschool my friend bought a sub $1000 El Camino that pretty much didnt work at all, no floor, etc, and fully got it working into an epic car. Sadly hes not around anymore (hes alive he just moved very far and we dont talk much anymore) but having him and his dad around would be amazing for learning this kind of stuff. Although my Grandfather and Uncle are amazing with mechnic stuff so its not off the table to get something old and learn on it.

I'm not really sure who those folks are that are buying new RVs from a dealer, and taking the HUGE depreciation hits on them after a few years, but I am eternally grateful to them for their sacrifice.

A 5 year old RV is generally about 1/3 the price of new when you consider all of the interest payments that a new RV buyer is paying in those 5 years.

Even a better deal on 10 year old equipment, on any used trailer, i would replace all the tires immediately, and probably repack the wheel bearings while at it. The main thing to watch for is water damage.

I am in the process of selling or trading my 1993 28" class A Dutchman Motor home for a smaller trailer. My Motor home is in excellent shape with only 50,000 miles and very good maintenance. Units in as good of shape as it is are hard to find. Be careful on a used travel trailer as they can be a money pit. If you are in or can go to southern Arizona you can find some very good buys. A lot of seniors move there to get away from the cold North and then pass away. Leaving loved ones to dispose of or transport their trailers. Best of luck. Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_20200809_162226.jpg
    IMG_20200809_162226.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 3
My motorhome had been used to move here to Mesa and was sold when the owners moved into a park model. AZ is a good place to look for.used RVs.

AZ dsoes sound like a really good place to find good deals. The problem is I'm in Massachusetts haha. So even if they are listed online I wouldnt be able to actually go inspect it.

I flew from Texas to California to inspect a car before I bought it. I bought a round trip ticket in case it wasn't as advertised. I just considered it as part of the purchase price.

B and C said:
I flew from Texas to California to inspect a car before I bought it. 

Yeah, but taking a ride in an airliner is not a good option for a lot of us right now....I sure would not get on one!

tx2sturgis said:
Yeah, but taking a ride in an airliner is not a good option for a lot of us right now....I sure would not get on one!
And then if I thought the RV was good and wanted it I would have to fly back home, get in my car, and Drive what google says is 39 hours to go get it and drive back haha. At that point I'd just bring all my stuff and try to move into the Rv when I get it and not drive back.

I couldn't actually do this yet anyway tho because i need to sell my car and get a new one that can Tow. My Ford edge is not going to cut the mustard. My brothers girlfriend is going to need a car soon so I'm hoping that maybe I can get her to agree to buy mine when I  get a new one so that I dont haev the tricky situation of either selling my car and being carless or being stuck with 2 cars at the same time. But this is a bit in the future.
I'm thinking a good option could be to get something like a Chevy G3500 or Express Van (they seem extremely similar?). Has good tow capacity and loads of storage space which will be good when I'm in a smaller rv. And because Vans seem to be not the most popular car I feel like its easier to find a better deal.