Bucket toilets and temperature

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vagabound

Reaction score
After all of the reading I've done of related articles and forum posts about bucket toilets, and how much they do or don't stink, I've been a little surprised. Why?

Although this opens me up to the old criticism of my shit doesn't stink, that is almost the case. Yeah, of course there is a little bit of smell, especially while using it and before getting the bag tied up, but it wasn't a big deal. And then after that, I really didn't smell anything until the next time to use it. Just leaving the window open seems sufficient ventilation. I don't even have a roof vent, much less a fantastic fan yet.

And then one day things changed. I started noticing some flies flying around inside of my truck. And then I noticed the smell coming from the bucket. I started wondering what was different and might have caused this change. It wasn't leaving my door open, which I do quite often. I don't think it was anything related to diet, because it really hasn't changed. The only thing I could attribute it to was changing outside temperature. In short, it was getting hot.

It dawned on me that my entire "pooping in a bucket" experience had been during the winter, and maybe that was why I thought smell wasn't a problem. Maybe it only shows up during hot weather.

I'm not intending to start a giggling thread. I'm asking because I might need to find a different way to store this waste prior to disposal during the summer.

What do the experienced out there have to say about this?

Tom

Are you bagging each BM? Are you storing the bags?

If you are allowing the feces to stay in the bucket (composting model) are you mixing urine and feces?
Are you using any cover? saw dust? peat moss?
Are you covering the bucket? Sealed?
Many ... most ... maybe all commercial composting toilets use a 12v biscuit fan and a vent to help reduce moisture.
Do you stir it?

What a fun convo?

Vagabound said:
It dawned on me that my entire "pooping in a bucket" experience had been during the winter, and maybe that was why I thought smell wasn't a problem. Maybe it only shows up during hot weather.

The odor in poop comes from gases released by bacteria. The more bacteria, the more gases, and the more odor. And as any microbiologist knows, bacteria reproduce more quickly in higher temperatures. So your hypothesis is correct.
:)

PS--a bit of cat litter inside the bag helps with odor control.

lenny flank said:
The odor in poop comes from gases released by bacteria. The more bacteria, the more gases, and the more odor. And as any microbiologist knows, bacteria reproduce more quickly in higher temperatures. So your hypothesis is correct.

This must be why my shit literally doesn't stink.  I've been on antibiotics for the better part of a year now.

If you eat meat, your poop smells worse. It's particularly noticeable if you don't eat it normally and then do. Mein Gott! What a stink! Just that alone will keep me off the a heavy meat diet.

Zizzer_Zazzer_Zuz said:
Are you bagging each BM? Are you storing the bags?

If you are allowing the feces to stay in the bucket (composting model) are you mixing urine and feces?
Are you using any cover? saw dust? peat moss?
Are you covering the bucket? Sealed?
Many ... most ... maybe all commercial composting toilets use a 12v biscuit fan and a vent to help reduce moisture.
Do you stir it?

What a fun convo?

I know it matters, but I don't want to answer all of that crap!  Jeesh.  Make me feel so exposed and everything!!!  

I suppose that our microbiologist buddy, lenny flank (thanks, lenny!), already hit the nail on the head.

Tom

P.S.  Alright then, if you insist ...

Yes
Yes
Usually No
Yes, cat litter or sand (funny story about the latter)
Sort of.  Luggable loo lid only.  Long explanation in another thread.
God no!
Yes, it is a fun crappy conversation! ;-)

I suppose you could keep the bucket in a refrigerator. Lol. If I have nowhere else to make my drop, I use a flushing porta potti. Within a week's time I can find a proper place to dump. With the bucket system, if you keep the urine separate from the solids, the major part of the problem is over. Also some kitty litter, sawdust, peat moss, will help dry out the solids and keep the smell down. The liquid container can be used to water the roses.

The cheapest and best imo are vinegar and peat moss.

I am remote for up to three weeks at a time in temperatures to 90º+.  Each BM in separate bag, with sawdust, tied, in bucket with gamma seal lid.  No noticeable smell (passes the 'beagle test') until lid is opened, then mild odor.  Separating urine and feces helps a lot with smell.  Luggable Loo cover doesn't seal; lets the smell out.  Polyethylene bags (ziploc, grocery store bags) do not keep smell in either.

-- Spiff

Vagabound said:

I suppose that our microbiologist buddy, lenny flank (thanks, lenny!), already hit the nail on the head.
In the interests of accuracy, I am not an actual degreed scientist. Just an amateur naturalist with long years of interest.

Not sure sand is much of a desiccant and so I'm not sure it will do much to reduce smell. Kitty liter, peat moss, saw dust all seem to be commonly ussed.

Might not be appealing but you might consider giving your bucket a stir every now and again. One of the things that the commercial units do is stir the poo to mix the desiccant and aerate the poo.

The other thing that the commercial units do is vent via small fans. This will do several things, it will help reduce the moisture and it will help to eliminate fruit flies by sucking them out of the bucket and out of the van.

Good luck!

Tie the bag close to the 'product' releasing the air first - that leaves a lot of excess bag Then invert the bag and tie it again, so you've double bagged. I save the thin plastic bags you put produce in and put the tied 'product' bag in that, so I've triple bagged - I've never noticed an odor, then it goes in my regular trash (a plastic grocery bag). I dispose of my trash in the cans at the pump whenever I fill up or at rest areas. Plus, what Zizzer said^^^^^

Zizzer_Zazzer_Zuz said:
Not sure sand is much of a desiccant and so I'm not sure it will do much to reduce smell. Kitty liter, peat moss, saw dust all seem to be commonly ussed.

Might not be appealing but you might consider giving your bucket a stir every now and again. One of the things that the commercial units do is stir the poo to mix the desiccant and aerate the poo.

The other thing that the commercial units do is vent via small fans. This will do several things, it will help reduce the moisture and it will help to eliminate fruit flies by sucking them out of the bucket and out of the van.

Good luck!

Sand:  Just been using it for about a month now.  Price is right, but it has no odor reduction properties.  I chose it only to stabilize any liquids in the bucket.  The funny story:  I filled my empty kitty litter container with sand the first time at Fortuna Pond about a month ago.  So far, so good.  I filled it a second time in Pahrump.  While I was scooping sand to put in the container the second time, I ran across some actually cat poop.  Apparently I wasn't the first one that thought that pile of sand was acceptable. ;-)  So, for that reason, and others, I'll be going back to something else.  Was just trying to be resourceful and frugal.  Not all experiments produce adoptable methods.  Need to find something that is not burdensome or troublesome to store.  Maybe fits in a 5-gallon bucket.

Stirring:  You're out of your mind.  And I mean that in the most pleasant sense. ;-)  Seriously, that works in some applications, like composting, but not when each BM is in a separate bag that gets tied for disposal.

Fan:  On the purchase list.  As with nearly everything in life, it requires yet more money.  Long list of those kind of things at present.  Oh, and no fruit flies.  Just normal black flies.  You know, the type that love crap.

Answer to "stop peeing in the bucket":  Two things:  First, you should read my answer more carefully.  Second, you clearly aren't over 50 years old.  Sometimes, despite the best of intentions, things happen.  Plus, bucket toilets and urine separation is possible, but not simple and a learned art.  Plus, a minor amount of liquid is to be expected.

Lenny:  I sort of assumed you weren't a scientist, but was just being funny. 

Thanks for the comments, thoughts, and ideas.

Tom

Every Road Leads Home said:
Sounds like a gamma lid could solve your problems.  One bucket for business one bucket with lid for storage til disposed of.

Right.  My original plan.  It's all a matter of storage space and minimizing the crap being stored, literally and figuratively.

Tom

so avoid visiting tom after taco tuesday?

:huh: no pee in the poo bucket? hows that happen? i'm going to pee when i poo

so sitting on a bucket with my d in a apple juice jug? just the visualization isnt good more less doing it

cat holes,public restrooms and black tank/bucket in emergencies