Bucket toilets and temperature

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom

The best I can do is tell you what I do, why I do it and the results. Personally I think you need a second bucket with a sealing gamma lid if you pee in the bag or not. You could find a way to make one bucket seal but you need to contain the smell in any event.

As far as masking the smell goes, I can tell you that there are lots of products sold for black tanks that ultimately end up making it smell like perfumed crap.

Sorry, thought at first you were going with the.compost bucket toilet. With those you let the feces stay in the bucket, you add a desicant, and encourage it to dry out. To help this along you do need to stir it up sometimes. The other part of that is ventilation to the OUTSIDE of the vehicle. This is usually accomplished with a small biscuit fan.

I think what you are doing is pooping in a plastic bag, which is pretty different.

I would say that a scoop of cheap cat litter in the bottom of the bad and go to town. Bags inside of bags and buckets with tight lids seems the way to go.

On the commercial COMPSTING toilets there is a urine divrter to help separate #1 and #2. With a bag system you could attach a lawn mower oil funnel in the front of the bucket and run a hose to a jug in or next to the bucket. Ive been looking at the stock on clips available at hardware stores for the "permanent" lining so that it will stay in place. Then od course the bag that gets used goes inside the "permanent" lining.

I'll see if I can find the unit that really got me thinking about more creative things other than a bottle and a bucket with plastic bags.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I can't see that this should be a problem.  Used these a few times myself after surgery.  $33 for the comode, $5 for the urinal.  A little kitty litter & plastic bag for disposal.  The comode folds up for transport.

Attachments

• comode.jpg
    comode.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 3
  • urinal.jpg
    urinal.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 3
I have read that thread and am thinking of getting a luggable loo and a she-we so I can practice, perhaps in my bathtub initially?

Re: "When I was in the old $600 Thrifty Nickel trailer with no plumbing I kept a Porta Potti mostly for the comfort of my occasional female visitor"

See now, *that* is being a real gentleman!

Spiff: "The last thing I want is to force the smell out into my living space."

No, no, no! The biscuit fan draws odor and air OUTWARD and usually UPWARD through a hose (like a vacuum cleaner hose, but maybe smaller) to the outside via a window or out the roof of your rig.

Was just sitting down to eat my dinner when I ran across this thread. Funniest series of posts I've read on this forum yet. Thanks, all, for all the laffs. Can't work up an appetite now but the humor was worth skipping my pm meal! :dodgy:

Latest posts