Bucket toilets and temperature

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We use a sealed lid on a second 5 gallon bucket. When that one gets opened to deposit new bag....ermmm...yeah. But after it is sealed again, odor goes away. Its been in the 90s and even hit 100. Same deal.

Bucket #1 has lug a loo lid with new bag inserted.
Bucket #1 not used as storage. Don't see unsealed lid(lug a loo) stopping odors.
Bucket #2 has plastic bag lining where tied bags from bucket #1 are stored.
Bucket #2 has waterproof lid(odor proof too when sealed).
Disposal happens with lining in bucket #2 tied up and placed inside another bag that is then tied\sealed. That bag then goes into a heavier duty blackbag for dumpster.

Urine is deposited into gallon jugs. These jugs are replaced on shopping day(once a week maybe 2 weeks). I drink and those urine jugs get overpowering when opened after a while.

Gary68 said:
so sitting on a bucket with my d in a apple juice jug? just the visualization isnt good more less doing it

That's what I do, except it's a detergent jug. Never considered how it looked since no one else sees me doing it.

I misspoke. Read peat moss and my mind went with that NO--- sphagnum moss not peat moss big difference, good antismell results!

Gary68 said:
so avoid visiting tom after taco tuesday?

Aww, don't say that. My bucket smells like roses. Well, except for Mole Mondays, Wine Wednesdays, Tamale Thursdays, Fajita Fridays, Salsa Saturdays ...

:huh: no pee in the poo bucket? hows that happen? i'm going to pee when i poo

so sitting on a bucket with my d in a apple juice jug? just the visualization isnt good more less doing it

Let me concur. It is quite a trick and one that requires some practice to avoid the juice bottle equivalent of the caught in the zipper effect.

Tom

Vagabound said:
Sometimes, despite the best of intentions, things happen.  Plus, bucket toilets and urine separation is possible, but not simple and a learned art.  Plus, a minor amount of liquid is to be expected.

Get a transmission funnel and put the small end into a jug. Fill the other end the best that you can with what is at hand when you sit on the bucket. A hose may work better than a funnel

We pee in something smaller than the detergant jug then transfer when all done. One of us can stand with something a little less cumbersome when just peeing and the other of us doesn't have to try to hit such a small opening and therefore not getting her and her clothes wet. Think red solo cup or similar. Using it for #1 while sitting to #2 is doable and gets easier with practice.
The laundry jug is emptied and rinsed daily.
The solids stay in the bucket until the kitchen size garbage bag is 2/3 full. Each use is covered by peat moss. Smell is minimal but somewhat present. It is what it is.
We first used a bucket. Then we tried a thetford curve porta potti. Then we tried a nature's head. Now we are back full circle to the simple bucket toilet. It so much easier to deal with and doesn't smell any more than the other methods. In fact it smells less than the porta potti and surprisingly the natures head also. Disclaimer on the last part though...the natures head was used in a humid environment and the fan couldn't keep up with "production". YMMV but we would never spend high dollar again on some factory built crapper.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Two tips I follow:

1) I pack large zip-locks filled with sawdust from my shop. If I run out on the road I buy bags of hampster cage scented wood shaving from Walmart. They are even better than the sawdust.

2) Stinky "pee jugs"? I put a shot of scented laundry softener in the jug before I use it. After dumping the filled jug, I flush with water a couple of times, and then a new shot of softener. No order, ever.

Just my opinion . . .

speedhighway46 said:
Two tips I follow:

1) I pack large zip-locks filled with sawdust from my shop. If I run out on the road I buy bags of hampster cage scented wood shaving from Walmart. They are even better than the sawdust.

2) Stinky "pee jugs"? I put a shot of scented laundry softener in the jug before I use it. After dumping the filled jug, I flush with water a couple of times, and then a new shot of softener. No order, ever.

Just my opinion . . .

I like to use wide-mouthed Gatorade bottles as pee bottles. I rinse them out between uses with water and a dash of bleach---and I replace the bottle every so often (mostly whenever I think about it).

Thinking out of the box (or off the potty)... if you pee standing up and then sit to poo... voila, no pee in the poo. (use a she wee or such if lacking anatomy )

speedhighway46 said:

Good ideas. I wonder how many other things could be used in place of the scented laundry softener to do the same job? Anybody else use any other products?

Tom

Oh my!!! Such fun!!!

Seriously, I actually have been thinking of what to do with the production!!!
Esp when boondocking...

Do ya leave the second bucket with the bagged goodies outside the van or???

Do ya worry about critters getting away with the bounty???

Vagabound: I was wondering about some bleach in the bottom of the container.

Galladanb: "Do ya worry about critters getting away with the bounty???"

*grin* Would you care?

galladanb said:
...Do ya leave the second bucket with the bagged goodies outside the van or???...

No, I don't. With the waterproof lid that has a rubber seal in it(from Home Depot) there is no odor when lid is securely snapped on. I also use a disinfectant on both buckets, lids, and lugaloo lid regularly. When the second bucket gets opened and closed, a shot of Lysol(generic Walmart brand) gets sprayed and odors go away quickly.

When I have the outdoor enclosure up,(the Light speed one, about $110 but super roomy) then I do leave it all outside in enclosure. This is first year for us using buckets, so only been in desert so far. However, there are dogs, mice, coyotes(I think) and the 2 weeks we had it outside, no probs from any of them. Forest area might be different with the racoon's, they are bold curious lil twits! So cute though!

Tom

The other half and I have bagged our toilet while boondocking for years. we did do both and by the time a normal trip was done it was horrible. It took me a while to get use to peeing first and then using a red solo cup while I sat but it's made a huge difference. I deposit it into a bag in my bucket with a gamma lid that sits outside on the sunny side of the trailer. I took the bucket in the truck to dump the trash today and there was no odor in the truck. There was some when I opened the gamma lid but nothing like what it use to be.

TrainChaser said:
Vagabound:  I was wondering about some bleach in the bottom of the container.

I do that periodically when I clean and rinse it out. However, at those times the bleach is only in there momentarily. I'd be hesitant to leave bleach in there all the time and then introduce my private parts. Somehow I don't think chlorine and the latter are highly compatible. ;-)

I wonder about something as simple as baking soda, acid neutralizing effects, etc?

Tom

Vagabound said:
Answer to "stop peeing in the bucket":  Two things:  First, you should read my answer more carefully.  Second, you clearly aren't over 50 years old.  Sometimes, despite the best of intentions, things happen.  Plus, bucket toilets and urine separation is possible, but not simple and a learned art.  Plus, a minor amount of liquid is to be expected.

Tom
Tom, I am 50, too, and I absolutely understand. I can pee standing, then sit down to poop, and I'll still somehow, some way, come up with more pee
this is how I 'do the bucket'
Sit more forward on the bucket, so th d would dangle over the edge, anyway
Use a cup for the d, SLIGHTLY BELOW the lip of the bucket, and let er rip
bag or litter the poop, pour the cup in the pee bottle or tske it outside and water the area

ArtW said:
Tom, I am 50, too, and I absolutely understand. I can pee standing, then sit down to poop, and I'll still somehow, some way, come up with more pee
this is how I 'do the bucket'
Sit more forward on the bucket, so th d would dangle over the edge, anyway
Use a cup for the d, SLIGHTLY BELOW the lip of the bucket, and let er rip
bag or litter the poop, pour the cup in the pee bottle or tske it outside and water the area

Art,

Glad to know I'm not unique in this way. Through trial and error, I have arrived at more or less the same thing, minus the cup. I just use my bottle.

----------

General comment (related to the topic and forums, not Art): 
I notice in online forums there is a tendency sometimes for some people to become very absolutist. In other words, there's only one exact right way to do something and if you don't do it that way, democracy will crumble. The example here would be the urgent rule against getting any urine in the poop bucket. 

The truth is that if you completely peed in the poop bucket, the world wouldn't end, and even if you try really hard not to, it's still going to happen sometimes. So like most realistic things, this and other discussions should be about ways to minimize and maximize, as appropriate, not absolutism, which is seldom practical in the real world.

Just my two cents,

Tom

Zizzer_Zazzer_Zuz said:
 . . . The other thing that the commercial units do is vent via small fans. This will do several things, it will help reduce the moisture and it will help to eliminate fruit flies by sucking them out of the bucket and out of the van.

The last thing I want is to force the smell out into my living space.  I'm not trying to dry the stuff out (if it is sealed in a bag no drying would occur anyway) and the gamma seal lid eliminates the fly problem.

Vagabound said:
Good ideas. I wonder how many other things could be used in place of the scented laundry softener to do the same job? Anybody else use any other products?

Since I don't carry softener, I just use biodegradable soap (Dr. Bonner) plus a shot of water, seal the top and shake like crazy.  It's dumped with the pee in the morning.

TrainChaser said:
Vagabound:  I was wondering about some bleach in the bottom of the container.

I use bleach to clean out the bottle periodically, but I rinse well and let dry.  Wouldn't want bleach in the bottle when using.

-- Spiff

Troo, Slynne, it's harder for women to use a bucket, than a d00d, though there's a thread in the Girls room with ideas, none are as easy as 'scoot up, and put a cup under it'
When I was in the old $600 Thrifty Nickel trailer with no plumbing I kept a Porta Potti mostly for the comfort of my occasional female visitor

Latest posts