Breaking down in the middle of nowhere: Preparation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikEXpat

Reaction score
Hi all!

I know it'll happen. I'll be in the middle of the desert and my van will break down. 

How do you prepare for something like this? This is my thinking. Maybe you have better ideas.

• Make sure there is cell service so you can call for help.
  • Have enough tools on hand to take care of easy problems.
  • Make sure you have a Chiltons manual or other relevant material.
  • Carry a flashlight with a magnetic back to attach when working.
  • Have flares or roadside hazard lights and cones available if you're stuck on the side of the road.
  • Have a sign board made of cardboard or other so you can write "HELP! Need Ride"
Then there is the more expensive option...

Carry a bike, scooter, or motorcycle and use it to get you into town to get parts or help.

Which of the options above would you say is the least expensive path to keeping you on the road?

If traveling in the middle of nowhere, like an area where breaking down would likely result in your death and not just an inconvenience, is a common part of your travels... I'd suggest getting one of these. ----> https://www.amazon.com/SPOT-Satelli...8&qid=1517196258&sr=1-1&keywords=spot+tracker

Also, a CB radio, while not perfect, could be a good way supplement your cell phone in areas of poor coverage.

I'd also make sure I had some sort of roadside assistance plan, like AAA.

I'm intentionally not including the possible multitude of other items you might want (H2O, food, tools, shelter, fire, etc).

The wirecutter has an article on gear for road emergencies.

Mike I agree with your list except for one thing. if you have cell service you are really not in the middle of nowhere. I would choose a Ham radio for secondary communications. also I feel it's very important to have a working knowledge of your vehicle. also your best bet is to travel with two vehicles. highdesertranger

Cell service is getting better but is still not in most places I go. Spot doesn't work very well in the canyons and radios have limited range also. I had a tire knocked off by a boulder and being in a SUV that the access to the spare tire requires the rear hatch open, which it wouldn't because it was damaged, sat an entire day till a water truck happened by. No cell service, spot or radio as I was in the canyon and canyon was over 20 miles which is my limit walking with the food and water I always carry I was good. I'm waiting on my folding Rad bike as I'm old enough most of my offroading friends have passed and I still like to get out, I just go slower now. Even the best prepared get stuck eventually.

mikEXpat said:
I know it'll happen. I'll be in the middle of the desert and my van will break down . . . 
How do you prepare for something like this? . . . 

Adding to your list:
  • Most important: knowledge, how to fix things.  Manuals help but don't take the place learning how mechanical things work.
  • If traveling alone you should be checking in with someone daily.  They can initiate things from their end if you don't check in for a couple of days.  I carry an inReach personal emergency beacon and haven't found a place where I could not communicate.
  • Carry enough supplies and water to last a while.
  • Ways to fix a flat: tire plugs, boots, valve stem & tool, something to inflate the tire, making sure you have a good spare (or 2) and that it is aired up, a jack that will safely lift your vehicle in rough terrain and preferably a safety device to hold the vehicle up if the jack fails.
highdesertranger said:
. . . I would choose a Ham radio for secondary communications . . . 

Not being familiar with ham radio range, can you get a signal out from anywhere?  heavy forest cover?  deep canyon?  

bullfrog said:
No cell service, spot or radio as I was in the canyon . . .

I'm surprised.  My inReach will send communication anywhere I see the sky.  I've been in confined places where it took an hour or more for a satellite to be overhead but eventually I had contact, albeit very arthritic.

Latest posts