breaking down in middle of nowhere???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much what most Aussies are used to, being self sufficient offroad. There is no mechanic/towing company coming out to rescue you in the Tanami.
Just keep maintaining your vehicle in good condition to suit the kind of terrain driving you do.

Not much major damage occurs unless stupidity or ignoring tell tale signs your vehicle drivetrain is warning you about.

8fc490e84fdde64eb42f44bfe198f05e.jpg

I have a light weight tent and sleeping bag, and I can ride my bike 50 miles in one day.

And remember this is just in case you do not carry every single part which can break down in a vehicle.
I've had computer/electrical issues which gave NO warning which gave out. I personaly do not carry all of the computer components in my vehicle.

Did I hear someone mention the SPOT personal locator device you can get for emergencies has a plan for off road recovery? We used it hem in the backcountry and there was a plan for back country rescues.
If it’s any concern... don’t go off the road too far.

raw food philosophy said:
I have a light weight tent and sleeping bag, and I can ride my bike 50 miles in one day.

And remember this is just in case you do not carry every single part which can break down in a vehicle.
I've had computer/electrical issues which gave NO warning which gave out. I personaly do not carry all of the computer components in my vehicle.
Always a good idea to have a mountain bike with you. Another reason I won't use a computer controlled vehicle. 
All my trucks are mechanically injected diesels.

You will never be able to predict which parts will let you down and you can only carry so many, every situation has to be dealt with differently. If you break down and you don’t have the part someone has to go and get it or you have figure a way to patch it up temporarily, If you get stuck, which is more likely, then you have to figure a way to get it out, this is when a good jack, a hatchet, a come along, winch and a shovel might come in handy. Basically it comes down to judgement do you want to go down a road that is border line, maybe on a dry sunny day, perhaps not just before or after it rains. Maybe you want to walk in first to make sure it doesn’t get worse or it goes somewhere you want to go.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that Moby has only broken down on the road once.  It was the oil pressure sensor sender switch (a mouth full), and the second time it had to be replaced.  The first time, I thought I had a main bearing leak, but the shop tipped me off and I replaced it at my convenience.  The second time, it failed catastrophically, emptying the crankcase.  (Scanning gauges while driving pays off!)  That is one small, $35 part I carry, along with the required wrench.

Moby is an old guy ('96), but has been pretty reliable.  He leaks nothing; burns nothing but gas.  We never leave a spot without checking vitals.  Two days ago, while parked on a hill, idling in very hot weather for 15 minutes, the "check gauges" light came on and oil pressure showed very low.  On level pavement, although it looked better, the gauge behaved oddly.  I was not up for potentially breaking down between towns in 100+ degree weather, so no go for the van until I can find out what's going on.   :(

A big part of not breaking down is listening to your vehicle. A new noise or a noise that changed as well as gauges registering differently will help not breaking down. Listening to the radio at full tilt masks those subtle changes :p

if it does happen i just need to remember to relax and be patient. I got stuck while taking soil samples once. The 2001 Jeep Cherokee had the passenger seat removed and a hole cut out for a hydraulic probe. That was a cool seasonal job. A nice guy pulled me out in his 1969 John Deere tractor. most people are kind and are willing to help.

Good question. Despite driving an increasingly ailing rig, I don't think much about breaking down. After all, I should have more than enough time after the breakdown to come up with a suitable plan of action. Chances are I will notice the issue well before it immobilizes my rig, and take steps accordingly.

If I do actually break down (whether in a remote location or close to town), I will first diagnose the problem and determine the cost of repair. If it is an issue that can be fixed by a trip to AutoZone, I'll hitch a ride into town the next morning, arrange transportation (i.e. buy a bicycle), and try to fix it in the field.

If it is an issue that requires towing and expensive repairs, there's no point in fixing it. Then my job is to find someone who is willing to take possession of the vehicle. Scrap yard, mechanic's shop, car donation charity, a local yokel with a pickup truck and a tow strap. Hell, if I need to, I'll walk around town with a sign that says "FREE CAR!"

For a full-time nomad, I have very few possessions or improvements of value in my home on wheels. When I first set out on the road, my rig and its contents constituted 90% of my net worth; today, it is barely 5%. I have no problem with letting go of it when the time comes. Sure, a car-free lifestyle will be far more challenging (especially in this age of COVID travel restrictions), but that's a good thing. Too much familiar comfort makes the mind weak and lazy.

winterwanderer said:
I have no problem with letting go of it when the time comes. Sure, a car-free lifestyle will be far more challenging (especially in this age of COVID travel restrictions), but that's a good thing. Too much familiar comfort makes the mind weak and lazy.
You're a good influence. :)

A mountain bike is great.Hard to pull a 30 ft camper with it,

NctryBen said:
If it’s any concern... don’t go off the road too far.

Yes. Generally, don't go where you're not confident. As you gain more experience as a nomad, you'll gain more confidence. You don't need to be 100% Super Nomad from day one.

Also, what might be the middle of NOWHERE to you is probably the middle of SOMEWHERE to other people. What might seem strange and scary and dangerous to you is just home for others, and wherever you're from seems strange, scary and dangerous to them—just because it's unfamiliar.

"don’t go off the road too far."

hahahahahahahahahaha. right ok.

highdesertranger

raw food philosophy said:
I was also thinking about buying a tow arm and then riding my bike to the nearest town (i'm in great shape) and renting a small uhaul pick up truck and then tow it myself.

You have  probably already came to the conclusion that there is not  a magic switch on your dash that gets you back to blacktop. A couple people actually answered your question with very good advice (get into town and hire a local, etc)  then others told you that they can fix anything and cant believe that some cant) no help to the question. etc.  Todays vehicles are full of computer boards and all kinds of  highly technical gadgetry  that can fail without  symptoms, who knows,  you might drop a drive shaft, the fuel pump in your tank can quit, your  flux capacitor quits fluxing. .  There is a reason why every dealership has a humongous service/repair facility, things break. Everyone I know that  experienced what you stated, "alone/not in a group",  walked or hitch hiked  or rode a bike into town and went to "flat tire repair places"  or "local repair shop" it seems these people love to make an easy 4/500 bucks and show what there big 4WD truck with over size tires can do or they tell you who has 4WD trucks and like to tow stuff. The wrecker yards have rules with there drivers and are sometimes not for hire.   I like your idea of carrying tow bar and just renting a truck as a possible option [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif](cheaper).    also [/font](good job thinking out of the box) . You have  get on your bike and go get help is your answer. 

" You have  get on your bike and go get help is your answer."

'getting on your bike and go get help' isn't an answer for a lot of us who can't ride 50 miles over rough terrain or have companion animals that cannot be carried on a bike or left.

My plan is to have a communication device (inReach SE) to summon help to me if I am stuck and cannot self rescue.

Spaceman Spiff said:
[size=small]

My plan is to have a communication device (inReach SE) to summon help to me if I am stuck and cannot self rescue.

Comms are (should be) a staple and have redundancy. Everyone carries a cell phone now, but we know that there's coverage issues, batteries go dead, dropped\broken while sorting out what is wrong, etc. I have an old, cheap flip phone I carry in my BoB, battery lasts for over 10 days, can swap in my sim from my iPhone or - this is important to note - I can call 911 on it without a carrier in a crisis, and picks up signals much better than a smartphone. If you don't have an old cell kicking around in a drawer (or know someone who has a drawer of them), you can pick one up at just about any place for under $30. Look for one that is for one of those bargain piggyback carriers that is both CDMA\GSM. Like tires, you wouldn't go out without a spare, would you?

In my area, off the beaten path typically means you have to watch out for loggers, they all use CBs so I have a mobile and a handheld ($50 off EBay including antenna), plus a dual-band mobile ham and dual-band HT ($100 for the pair).

Most importantly, be aware of your resources vs risk. Can you afford to break down 50 miles from the nearest crossroad? What about an injury\illness? Make a plan. Make sure it is realistic. Stick to it.

I think too much is made of modern electronic failures. I disliked all the computerized stuff when it first came out, as did many others, and some earlier units did have problems. Time has shown that overall, the newer electronics are mostly beneficial to overall reliability Most modern vehicles are far more reliable than vehicles 30 or more years ago, in part because of the electronics. Most also now have a failsafe or "limp home" mode that allows the vehicle to run, just not well, but can get you home if theres system failures. Most can also self diagnose if you know the codes and how to run them, and compact diagnostic units are commonly available, both stand alone units and that utilize a smart phone for display and some functions.

Vehicles last longer today, partly because they run cleaner, from computer controlled injection systems as well as cleaner fuel, and better oils, and better engineering overall. Im not losing any sleep over modern vehicles leaving me stuck anywhere, and definitely not because they are modern. They arent perfect, but I think you have to be even less mechanically inclined today than in the past. The same mechanical things can fail on modern vehicles, starters, alternators, whatever, but many of the old school glitches are gone, like points and condensers burning/failing, spark plugs fouling, carbs chokes or floats sticking or icing up.

When my trucks had more electronic widgets that gave problems, like the 1980s, Id go to the dealer, pay them the $30 or whatever to scope it, tell me whats wrong, go buy whatever widget they said failed, take it out of the box, look for it under the hood, replace it, and it usually was good after that. My Fords had various little sensors and odds and ends that went wonky now and then. My 92 and 95 Suburbans and 05 4runner have all been extremely reliable in the electronic sense and overall running. I replaced a transmission in one, a transfer case in another, both at 200K+ miles, but no little annoying electronic things, no major electronic failures, very little tune up or maintenance like older carbureted and points/condenser vehicles seems to need more often.

Malamute said:
I never actually broke down out in the hills, but got stuck many times. Flagging down passing people in trucks or jeeps is often a good way to get help getting pulled out, but mostly I had to do it myself. Lots of shovelling mud and snow, digging out and piling rocks and logs under the wheels, jacking up with bottle jacks, stacks of wood, hi-lift jacks, tow chains, come-a-long winches, all were useful at one time or another. Little wimpy folding shovels are pretty patheic when you get seriously stuck, theres no replacement for a full size long handled round point shovel....

oh it so good be here again. When my husband and I traveled he had a come along put on the front of the truck and it got us out the ALOT of Jams.

Mine was the hand powered kind, I really wished I had a good power winch on several occasions.

Im setting up my sidecar rig so it can use an ATV winch in the front or back, it attaches to receiver hitches. I dont think I can wrestle the bike and sidecar out of a ditch or turn it around on steep dirt roads.