breaking down in middle of nowhere???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to carry some simple parts and some basic tools, for example, an extra serpentine belt that is fairly simple to understand. You can google the video. Of course, a transmision repair is not within most vandwellers realm of Do It Yourself, I included. This is doable with a repair fund in your budget. I believe if you love this lifestyle, the more self sufficient you become the less stress and the more money you dont have to spend and more importantly, the peace of mind. Enjoy!

Not the middle of nowhere but ...
My folks picked up their RV from where they had parked it while getting some surgery taken care of. They stopped at a few stores. No problem and then at a laundry place in a very questionable area. They planned on leaving well before dark etc.. Got done and went to start their RV and nothing. Now it is getting late and nobody wanted to come out to that area to help They finally called police who got a Tow company to come help, but he needed to go back to his shop after deciding that he could not get it started either. The few shop owners warned them no matter what do not sleep there or be there after dark.
They had, as they waited for the second truck, a couple fellows steel the coupling thing from their septic hose, they had a few ask for money for food and as they left more scary folks climbed up out of the river bank and walk towards their RV. The truck driver guy called for police back up to get them hooked up to tow out. Cops and tow truck fellow said they would not have had much of their RV left if it had stayed there over night.... The tow truck driver got the ok from the mechanic to let them sleep in the shop yard. He had a huge barbwire fence and lots or blue lights around his shop...
These are people in their 80's and we are trying to get them to a neighborhood that is not so scary for winter, but they are being very stubborn about it....

Dang vanbrat. Sounds like scary zombies crawling up the river bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol Vanbrat, now you're gonna start zombie story threads!

I grew up in conservative low crime towns and when I first rolled through Apache Junction (just outside of phoenix) it reminded me of the Walking Dead at night, with the amount of meth addicts roaming around like zombies.

I ended up hanging out with some younger kids who were completely homeless (no vehicle) and sleeping out in the dessert. I'd go out there and party with them and then pass out on the dirt. I'd park my van right in front of the police station.

Long story short, some of the kids (20 year olds) started doing meth and I watched them fall apart within a few months right before my eyes. It was hard to lecture them when I was drinking like a fish.

Anyway, towards the end of that winter I'd see them in the early morning and they'd have a similar gate/walk as in zombie movies,,,,eyes sunkin in and skin peeling away. They were completely unpredictable and untrustworthy.....stealing anything they could. So I can imagine how your parents felt being stuck in a really bad neighborhood.

Moral of the story.........don't do drugs and don't become zombie

That is what was coming out of the river bank homeless camp. Scary, sad, so much humanity lost forever. That area is not for the faint of heart...
We have had a few neighbor kids that grew up around my own kids that got into that stuff, they were promising young people back then. Now just walking dead.
Keep the vehicles in good running shape. And have good road side towing around. My folks did, but still the starter died unexpectedly. Don't stop in bad areas.

i think this is one of my biggest worries... that said I am a frim believer in preventive Maintenance..

Being in a Mini van especially, will be difficult to carry a bunch of spare parts..

that said, I have done a lot of the work on my van myself, so I do have so knowledge..

there is a list of essentials that I would and will carry though

highdesertranger said:
I know how to fix stuff.  but more importantly your vehicle better be in tip top shape.  frankly I can't believe that people who live in their vehicles don't have a clue how to fix them.  tow insurance does no good off highway.  highdesertranger

Blunt, but to the point. It took me a long time to gain the necessary experience and did receive much help from strangers. Probably the worst experiences I had were when I was young starting out in Alaska. One time we were wheeling thru a swamp somewhere on the way to a fishing spot and the wiring harness caught fire and burned up. My girlfriend had been an avionics tech in the Air Force and knew wiring. We walked out somehow to the local lodge for supplies, returned and completely rewired the harness. I think its best not to drive around in old ass trucks in the middle of nowhere but Ive done it all my adult life and still enjoy it and still do it with an 02 F-250.

I am 72 and a widow with a dependent dog.

I simply do not go miles down dirt roads by myself.

I couldn’t fix much of anything, and walking many miles out is simply not feasible.

If I were to drop dead out in the middle of nowhere, that would just mean my time was up.

The thought of the dog being without care is the biggie.

Important to think thru possible scenarios, as stuff does happen.

I like national forest campgrounds as opposed to spots along dirt roads, as they are usually patrolled, there are often put toilets and water.

My preferences.

I feel a lot the same Rose, glad I found your post.  I like the National Parks as well and I think my senior pass works in those.  I would not go off on backroads even when I was young, not alone.  My little dog is a concern too and I think about if I croak right here, I need to have someone that will take care of her.

I have roadside assistance on my insurance which has come in handy for locking my keys in my truck etc.  But it would be pretty handy if anything stopped working in my truck, or a flat, which I still don't know how to do on my own.  I'd hope to be traveling with folks from campground to campground, I mean driving my rig along following, stopping where they do etc.

I’m in this position now. My RV is stuck in the middle of nowhere (Arkansas) with no towing options. I’m forced to repair it myself, but I cannot do any repair where I am. So, I need to find a storage or warehouse storage or campsite where I can do this week-long project and find a trucker willing to winch or tow me out to the new storage. This hasn’t been easy, but I’m a survivor, not a statistic.

I really appreciate that. I’m 10 minutes from Little Rock, AR. I called the mobile RV tech to see if he could help find storage or tow or both. No word yet. I’m confident something will come through. I’m just compiling everything I need to start the repair as soon as it enters storage.

What repair is needed?
It sounds like you know how to fix it and have the tools needed?  I would not hesitate to go help someone if they needed help.
I'm 1500 miles from you unfortunately.

I am gifted in that respect.   I rebuild my own engines, can completely remove and replace the entire AC system and never need to go to a mechanic.   It's why I love my older vehicles.   If you can do your own repairs you are that much better off.

Little Rock is a trucking hub with several major trucking terminals, should be several options for tow services. Most are east of town. If you are a vet Little Rock Air force base is actually north 15 miles at Jacksonville and may have an Auto Hobby Shop, at least they did years ago when I was last there 40 some years ago. I taught Vocational Auto Mechanics at Jacksonville High School after I got out of service. Lots of nice people there, hopefully one will find you. Don't let the bugs eat you up! Keep us updated!

PeterPiper said:
What repair is needed?
It sounds like you know how to fix it and have the tools needed?  I would not hesitate to go help someone if they needed help.
I'm 1500 miles from you unfortunately.

I am gifted in that respect.   I rebuild my own engines, can completely remove and replace the entire AC system and never need to go to a mechanic.   It's why I love my older vehicles.   If you can do your own repairs you are that much better off.
Oh, it’s not a major repair - just mounting new tires, topping fluids and inspecting the brakes and all to ensure it can make a 400 mile journey. I have all the tools - the hydraulic jack system does all the heavy lifting. The reason I keep my Ford chassis rig is because it’s a little easier to work on and I don’t mind getting my hands dirty.

bullfrog said:
Little Rock is a trucking hub with several major trucking terminals, should  be several options for tow services. Most are east of town. If you are a vet Little Rock Air force base is actually north 15 miles at Jacksonville and may have an Auto Hobby Shop, at least they did years ago when I was last there 40 some years ago. I taught Vocational Auto Mechanics at Jacksonville High School after I got out of service. Lots of nice people there, hopefully one will find you. Don't let the bugs eat you up! Keep us updated!
The bugs have already gotten me. You’re absolutely right about the people - Little Rock has a small-town feeling that can’t be matched. I will definitely update the thread.

Don’t forget to yank out those floor mats and throw them under the tires too.