VAN for Dummy( Advice for the averaged " Joe-with little auto knowledge)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Needtobreath

Reaction score
Thank for the add, I want to start looking for a Van that are not too expensive,but not too Cheap that it break down and leave me stranded in the middle of "Nowhere". I have a budget ($4 thousands $) I am more of a "SEE and Learn" on mechanical Issue . When I want advice on fixing any things -I go to "you Tube", join other Web site for advice. This is one of the forum I come for advice. We all learn from our mistake and that why we try to avoid it. I thought about getting the Astro or Safari- Then I hear all the problem that they have-it make me change to something else. I know there are "NO- Problem Van" out there, but I just need something that I can afford and fix the basic self-help material and this Forum help too. What type of Van for future Van Nomad to Start. Advice for "Van for Dummy -101". Thank  :).

I have the 1986 astro, bought in 2012 for 700 dollars. Aside from the fuel pump, water pump and differential its been very troublefree. All those problems I fixed myself. I like it because its small easy to park anywhere and alot of room in the back, I also was able to put a 240 watt panel on the roof. I prefer the rear drive vans, they are suppose to be easier and cheaper to fix when they breakdown. I never had problems with the engine or transmission, starts up everyday. If it brokedown, I would buy another astro maybe newer model.

Thank you for your recommendation and now I feel that the Chevy Astro are more reliable van than I thought. I really like the Astro Convervion style (with the High Top - it very hard to find in decent shape. Thank -Brother.