Back to sticks and bricks I guess

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katt

Reaction score
Breaking down in the middle of nowhere is a nightmare. I'm gonna preface what I'm about to say with; someone from this forum was very kind and helped us out in the last few days, drove me to get our moving truck, gave us some goodies, and is just an awesome human being. And I appreciate that. Everything else has been a damn nightmare. 

If we didn't have cats, this would be easy. But we love our cats and they're not going anywhere. But trying to buy a decent rig that isn't overpriced garbage, trying to get people to communicate, both buying and selling, having stuff sold out from underneath you when you had changed all your plans to re-route and go see something after you made arrangements to do so, and having everything we had going in Quartzsite dry up on us... After another frustrating night under the pressure of trying to get this Uhaul truck back in time and having Uhaul hound me saying someone else needs the truck so be sure to get it back in time, and having people not call us back, not tell us what is going on... I think maybe this life isn't for me. 

I don't want to go back to Buffalo, because as I had said in my intro thread, I have cardiomyopathy and the weather there has been making it worse and worse to the point where I can't be outdoors most of the year. But the stress of all this is killing me even more. Buffalo is where my partner's job is. Maybe that's where we need to go back to and I'll just fade away in a shitty apartment there. We did find an apartment that would take cats. There aren't many in Buffalo. Maybe that's the safe and reasonable option. I'm so tired and frustrated with loading and unloading and doing things physically I shouldn't be doing. I was so damn depressed for the last year especially, and getting out and away in our bus had my spirits soaring, until it all came to a halt on I-55. 

I haven't cried this much in years. I've been just numb, and now I'm a wreck. I can't keep doing this. Hopes up, hopes dashed. Re-route, re-route, re-route, have established plans, have them fall through, re-route, reload, unload... I'm about done with all this.

That was a rotten thing to happen so soon into your trip but on the positive side it happened somewhere that you could get help. Wherever you decide to go, just consider it temporary. It doesn't HAVE to be permanent. Like the old adage "if at first you don't succeed, try try again". There are always setbacks but this one is recoverable. Take your time, unfrazzle yourself and do your due diligence on a new vehicle and maybe try some trips while retaining your S&B. If everything works out and as you gain experience and confidence then you might try to cut the cord again.

Best of luck to you!

This lifestyle requires you be able to deal with challenges every day. It is just part of the deal. If you are single and flexible it is only necessary to satisfy your own needs. With two people it is like four times more difficult especially if your happiness depends on meeting the others needs. With multiple pets it is ten times harder as then you are dealing with a being that is totally dependent on you. Living on the road can be a much better life but it takes time, effort and for some many attempts to get it right to where it works for you and everyone with you. Lots of money takes care of many of the problems but even that doesn't make it completely easy or quick.

Dear Katt, it's only natural to feel discouraged and down after the experience you've had.

So let yourself feel it. But also do what you need to do to get your feet back under you. It may be true that this life isn't for you. But then again, it may be true that it IS for you, and you've just had a temporary setback. Don't try to predict how you'll feel in six months or a year.

We'll still be here.

Im so sorry to hear all of this, Katt.

Sometimes life just piles on and piles on, it seems.

I tell myself during times like this “this is a test, to see how much I can take”, and remind myself that so far my survival success rate is 100%.

Deep breaths, one foot ahead of the other, things will sort themselves out.

Ohhh so sorry for all these troubles.

Yea life can pile alot on us and make us question it all.

Breathe. You are frazzled....you need to work thru the crazy times a bit and relax, take time to think your next moves and all. Like another said even if you go back to a shitty apt for a bit doesn't mean it has to be permanent.

Alot of life ahead of you, you truly can change it up, plan a move to a new area, plan being on the road later and knowing what you know about the road, you can fine tune what might suit you.....so yea, alot of life ahead of you, now is the time to not shut down, now is the time to be open and positive toward any more change you want!! Wishing you the best!

As I recall, my first year dwelling in the pickup was stressful, but also filled with nature experiences. After I got the van I was home.

As far as repairs on a vehicle that is a van or coach, you are always going to need a place to stay while the thing is being worked on. Usually a motel or a campground, but in rare occasions staying at the repair shop with your vehicle. The cost of motels and repairs should get built into your emergency fund.
-crofter

Sorry about your bus. In the long run the reliabilty of a vehicle is vastly more important than its size and all the amenities you can put into it. You have learned that lesson the very hard way.

Find a new place to settle into a sticks and bricks in a better climate area. A great many seniors do that as they get older, it is very much a tradition to pick up and relocate to somewhere warmer and cheaper. That way you wont feel stuck in a place you hate to live in.

Katt, what are you trying to spend on a rig? Does it have to be an A or C or would a truck and trailer work? Perhaps if we know more you can have all of us looking.

bullfrog said:
This lifestyle requires you be able to deal with challenges every day. It is just part of the deal. If you are single and flexible it is only necessary to satisfy your own needs. With two people it is like four times more difficult especially if your happiness depends on meeting the others needs. With multiple pets it is ten times harder as then you are dealing with a being that is totally dependent on you. Living on the road can be a much better life but it takes time, effort and for some many attempts to get it right to where it works for you and everyone with you. Lots of money takes care of many of the problems but even that doesn't make it completely easy or quick.
Gotta agree with that. While it is a bummer (and I'd definately try somewhere other than Buffalo although if you were thinking about Ga or Al, just look at what the tornadoes did yesterday) it is a truism that mobile life is hard even for 1 much less "a group". 

I'd be looking at trying to get your partner to find work somewhere you could handle healthwise. You can always make another go of it but it doesn't sound like now was the right time.

maki2 said:
Sorry about your bus. In the long run the reliabilty of a vehicle is vastly more important than its size and all the amenities you can put into it. You have learned that lesson the very hard way.

Find a new place to settle into a sticks and bricks in a better climate area. A great many seniors do that as they get older, it is very much a tradition to pick up and relocate to somewhere warmer and cheaper. That way you wont feel stuck in a place you hate to live in.
^ This

only thing i know bad about Buffalo is maybe population size and those Lake Effect snows! Good luck Katt to you and your partner! i'm sure things will work out :)

I'm so tired and frustrated with loading and unloading and doing things physically I shouldn't be doing.....

You'll be where the cats live. Plan and prepare accordingly.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk