Box Truck Newbie Questions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7wanders

Reaction score
hello, I just joined this site today and excited to finally find a community which might be able to point me in the right direction and provide me with some guidance as I move forward with my project. I'll try to outline my tentative plan and hope to get some feedback and troubleshooting to see if I've missed something major:

Next week I will be returning to the USA after several years of travel outside the States. My intention is to build a custom home which won't cost me big bucks to maintain while I'm traveling outside the States and also give me mobility and freedom when in the States. 

I believe a box truck may be the perfect solution for the following main reasons:
- I'm six foot six, and want to be able to fulling stand up in whatever vehicle I choose
- I want something that I can customize to my own preferences as well as physical size
- I want some degree of stealth for boon docking in cities (plan to leave the outside white and not cutting windows into the box (perhaps a skylight or fan openings along with opening the rear end with floor to ceiling glass/plexi etc to allow light to enter but keep some weather out)
- I am very much a snow bird and follow the weather, so it does not have to be super insulated for deep winter or heat
- I'm retired, so don't need to be in any specific place

So, that gives you some of the criteria I'm looking for a in a vehicle. Below are a few features I think might be nice to have in a box truck:
- prefer a truck in great condition (I guess everyone wants that right?)
- lowest miles possible in my budget (under $$10k)
- would be nice to have gas millage of a Sprinter van etc, but I'm prepared to have 10mpg if that is all I can get in my budget
- I'd prefer a box with the 'grandma's attic' on it for the bed (so as not to waste space)
- I'm thinking the 17ft box truck with the van cab would be best as I want to be able to park it in and maneuver it reasonably well
- prefer a box w a massive "ramp" like a toy hauler which can be used as a deck or ramp. if not I would prefer double doors (I don't want a rolling door which will occupy ceiling space in the box)
- I'm planning on buying in Texas, but registering in Florida where I'm a resident. Florida registration will be as an RV conversion which appears to be easy to do from what I'm reading online

Some questions:
- Is it possible to buy a Sprinter (or Dodge equal) cab & chassis used, and then find a used box to go on it (I want a box with grandma attic and either double doors or some sort of deck ... perhaps a larger lift gate?)
- are there some models to avoid? (like uHaul or specific models of vehicles)
- any recommendations on where to look or what models to look for in Texas with a budget of $10k or less for core vehicle before conversion?
- gas or diesel? the idea of adding a WVO conversion system down the road appeals to me, but might be unrealistic given how difficult it is to get WVO now for free from restaurants
- I'm looking for some info on flooring. I see lots of info online for floors for vans (which are metal), but nothing so far for how to handle the wood floors in the box trucks (do you seal them underneath? do they require a vapor seal or membrane?) I'm wanting a wood floor from up cycled materials and not something synthetic. 

Lastly, I'm an avid YouTube vlogger and intend to document the entire build, hoping it will be a resource to others. 

Thanks in advance for any and all input, suggestions and feedback!

A few generalized comments:

Make sure you have your insurance lined up BEFORE you spend any money on a box truck.  Depending on which state you are registered in, in can range from dead easy to next to impossible to insure a home converted school bus or box truck - and it doesn't seem to matter how hard or easy it is to REGISTER it as an RV in any particular state.  I'm not saying don't go for a box truck, I'm saying be sure you can get insurance for it before you start.

Gas vs. Diesel:  Depending on which year and engine you are talking about, Ford has had a series of HORRIBLY engineered diesel engines that break way too easy and cost WAY too much to fix.  The GM/Chevy diesel seems to be somewhat better, and I've heard a few good things about the one used in the Dodge/Ram.  You can find various threads here about them, and there are some very good videos on Youtube about all the Ford problems.

As for the wood floors, I would put a layer of asphalt roofing paper over the original floor and cover that with plywood.  You can then do whatever you want over the plywood - deck paint, stain, rugs, laminated wood flooring, whatever.

Welcome to the CRVL forums 7wanders! Looking forward to following along with your build!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Personally I wouldn't use asphalt paper in the interior because of off gassing.

As far as stealth you won't get that as much with a box truck as you would with a "normal" looking van so keep that in mind.

Definitely make sure you can get insurance as Optimistic stated.  I've run into issues myself with my box truck and it's been a pain in the rear.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
A few generalized comments:

Make sure you have your insurance lined up BEFORE you spend any money on a box truck.  Depending on which state you are registered in, in can range from dead easy to next to impossible to insure a home converted school bus or box truck - and it doesn't seem to matter how hard or easy it is to REGISTER it as an RV in any particular state.  I'm not saying don't go for a box truck, I'm saying be sure you can get insurance for it before you start.

Gas vs. Diesel:  Depending on which year and engine you are talking about, Ford has had a series of HORRIBLY engineered diesel engines that break way too easy and cost WAY too much to fix.  The GM/Chevy diesel seems to be somewhat better, and I've heard a few good things about the one used in the Dodge/Ram.  You can find various threads here about them, and there are some very good videos on Youtube about all the Ford problems.

As for the wood floors, I would put a layer of asphalt roofing paper over the original floor and cover that with plywood.  You can then do whatever you want over the plywood - deck paint, stain, rugs, laminated wood flooring, whatever.

Thanks for the reply and great recommendations. I will definitely start searching around to check on insurance. I'm curious if it is cheaper to insure a converted box truck as an RV, or to just keep it registered as a box truck and go for insurance that way. I had been led to believe that RV insurance was really low (based on readings in the full-time RV community).

Great ideas on the flooring. This helps a lot!

Headache said:
Personally I wouldn't use asphalt paper in the interior because of off gassing.

As far as stealth you won't get that as much with a box truck as you would with a "normal" looking van so keep that in mind.

Definitely make sure you can get insurance as Optimistic stated.  I've run into issues myself with my box truck and it's been a pain in the rear.

Do you have an alternative option to the asphalt paper for the floor? I saw one video where they used "felt paper" from roofing. I've also seen some sort of thing sheets of foam (almost like a cloth of foam). 

what was your solution for the box truck insurance? did you insure it as an RV conversion or normal truck? do you have any recommendations for insurance companies to try?

BradKW said:
Lots of information on the site related to box trucks...my build is linked in signature...here's some other links:

Box Trucks - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Cube, U-Haul to RV camper conversion

Van Shopping in Phoenix - Help Welcomed

Lots more, but that's what popped up in my memory. Avoid Sprinters due to potential expensive maintenance issues...scared me away.

The cab-over storages are generally used Uhaul/Penske type units.

thanks for the links! I'll read through these to get more info for my project. (ps. I'll be registering in Florida. did you find an insurance company there for your box truck? if so, are you willing to share which company  you went with? did you register as an RV conversion or keep it as commercial truck?)

After being told they couldn't insure it by two separate PRogressive insurance agents, I got a commercial policy through a 3rd agent with ...Progressive. I pay about $90/month for basic liability only...I will certainly be looking toward changing title to RV in the future.

7wanders,

Welcome.   I'm in the process of a box truck build for many of the same reasons that you mentioned. Of course, because none of us is as unique as we think, I have encountered some of the things that you will encounter, many of the same things that others encountered before me. And a lot more still coming up. I have found these forums to be a great resource, and the people to be helpful, most especially a small group of box truck enthusiasts like BradKW, Matlock, and others.  And beyond box truck-specific questions, there's another group of  die-hard contributors that is invaluable. You know who you are.

Before you ask many more questions, I would very strongly recommend that you read the threads from the links that BradKW provided to you. There is so much information in there, to include the answers to pretty much every question you've asked so far.

In addition, the following link goes to the thread for my box truck build. It's not terribly exciting at the moment, but maybe there's something useful in there for you.

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Vagabound-s-Build-Out-1993-Ford-E350-Box-Truck

Good luck.

Tom

Vagabound said:
7wanders,

Welcome.   I'm in the process of a box truck build for many of the same reasons that you mentioned. Of course, because none of us is as unique as we think, I have encountered some of the things that you will encounter, many of the same things that others encountered before me. And a lot more still coming up. I have found these forums to be a great resource, and the people to be helpful, most especially a small group of box truck enthusiasts like BradKW, Matlock, and others.  And beyond box truck-specific questions, there's another group of  die-hard contributors that is invaluable. You know who you are.

Before you ask many more questions, I would very strongly recommend that you read the threads from the links that BradKW provided to you. There is so much information in there, to include the answers to pretty much every question you've asked so far.

In addition, the following link goes to the thread for my box truck build. It's not terribly exciting at the moment, but maybe there's something useful in there for you.

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Vagabound-s-Build-Out-1993-Ford-E350-Box-Truck

Good luck.

Tom

Tom, thanks for your comment, insights and advice. I've been reading this site for a couple weeks or so, various threads as various topics and questions arise in my mind. I thought it was time to create my first post and start seeking advice. I had read some of the earlier posts about box trucks and some of the challenges. I also try my best to do a search on a topic before posting a question and apologize if I happen to ask something that is addressed in detail elsewhere which I might have missed. 

I'm currently working my way through several threads which were linked above (two which I had read, the others not). 

I very very much appreciate all the support and feedback I'm getting to my first post. thanks once again to everyone!

7wanders said:
Tom, thanks for your comment, insights and advice. I've been reading this site for a couple weeks or so, various threads as various topics and questions arise in my mind. I thought it was time to create my first post and start seeking advice. I had read some of the earlier posts about box trucks and some of the challenges. I also try my best to do a search on a topic before posting a question and apologize if I happen to ask something that is addressed in detail elsewhere which I might have missed. 

I'm currently working my way through several threads which were linked above (two which I had read, the others not). 

I very very much appreciate all the support and feedback I'm getting to my first post. thanks once again to everyone!

That's good. But don't get me wrong, ask whatever you want, whenever you want. I just wanted to point out that a lot of this has already been hashed over before and it would be quicker and easier for you and for everybody else if you just read it, provided you know it's there. We've all been through this ... not sure whether to ask a question or keep digging in the archives. No biggie.  You care enough to learn and ask. That's the important thing.

Tom

BradKW said:
After being told they couldn't insure it by two separate PRogressive insurance agents, I got a commercial policy through a 3rd agent with ...Progressive. I pay about $90/month for basic liability only...I will certainly be looking toward changing title to RV in the future.

Interesting. I had Progressive thru an independent agent. Then the truck went thru a hail storm. Of course the side walls are as tough as nails and received zero damage, but the roof aluminum is thinner and got a lot of dents and chipped paint. Of course, with full coverage, they paid me for replacing the roof, but it's not like I could actually find anyone who would do the job without really damaging the current integrity. Because of the full coverage, the adjuster said I pretty much had to take it. So, I did. All I am going to be doing is giving it a good coat of Cool seal this next summer.

So two months go by after settlement and I get a notice that Progressive was going to drop my truck in 2 months. I simply asked my agent to go figure it out, and she called back and said she found coverage ! Yay ! Full coverage again, and no clause for the dented roof.... and.... for less money. Great ! Can't beat that !

Who picked it up ?  PROGRESSIVE. Figure that one out !  I just figured I would not ask any questions. Lol !

grummy said:
Interesting. I had Progressive thru an independent agent. Then the truck went thru a hail storm. ...
Who picked it up ?  PROGRESSIVE. Figure that one out !  I just figured I would not ask any questions. Lol !

Grummy, what kind of truck do you have?

Tom

Another issue with a commercial vehicle is weigh scales. Some states require you to go through them. Not only can they check your weight, but they can go through the rest of the truck looking for safety issues. Say they think your brake pads are a bit too thin. Call a tow truck or a mobile mechanic because you aren't driving it anywhere. They also can do a smog check on you.

I am in Nevada. I wanted to convert a small bread truck. Could not find insurance. Auto carriers don't want commercial vehicles, and commercial carriers don't want to insure individuals. If you lie to the insurance carrier about your intended use, they will be more than happy to take your money, but if there is a claim, they may cite fraud on your part and not pay.

Once you get a commercial vehicle modified and registered as an RV, now you need to find a carrier that will insure a DIY build. Rv insurance is cheap because they assume it will be used for a few weeks a year. If you tell them you are a full timer, not only do the rates go up, but finding a company to carry you goes way down.

My opinion is get a vehicle that has been registered as an RV, tear it apart as much as you like, and rebuild it any way you like.

Vagabound said:
Grummy, what kind of truck do you have?

Tom

1981 Grumman Step Van on a Chevy chassis. Essentially the least expensive thing to keep running one could find.

I enjoy the various posts regarding "box trucks" as this category is pretty close to what I have.

All of the advice mentioned here is worthwhile for anyone considering a box truck (van box) for their primary on-the-road vehicle.

Cautionary "preliminary" hurdles from a regulatory perspective include:
1> Total weight determining vehicle category or class for licensing/registration
2> Steps necessary to get the vehicle changed from commercial to RV
3> Obtaining insurance
4> On-the-road requirements; weigh stations, road inspections, etc.

Most of these important "tasks" are determined by the state in which you will title the vehicle; not the state(s) to which you will travel. There have been some excellent recommendations here as to how to overcome some of these challenges; good stories all. States like California, (and others to varying degrees) can make things very difficult for the average individual.

I would like to discuss what I went through in the state of Michigan. My Peterbilt 379 was a commercial vehicle used to pull heavy loads (40,000 pounds) in 53' trailers. Most of its life it hauled cheese from Wisconsin to the west coast even though it was "stationed" in Michigan.

So I wanted to convert this vehicle to a motorhome. In Michigan, a vehicle under 26,000 pounds does not require a commercial registration nor is the driver required to have a commercial driver's license. Item #1: non-oh problemo.

I went to our state vehicle licensing authority (the Secretary of State) to get the truck converted to a Recreational Vehicle. The lady behind the counter said I would need to provide a weigh ticket (showing 22,000 pounds "wet"); proof of insurance; and a statement saying the vehicle was converted to an RV. I came back about 30 days later and by chance go the same lady. She actually remembered me! I gave her all the documents she required. She reviewed everything; said all was in order; and started typing on the computer. She said, "What do you want to call this thing?" I said, "How about Peterbilt Motorhome." Three weeks later my new title arrived saying Recreational Vehicle/Peterbilt Motorhome. Item #2: done, easy-peasy.  

Before purchasing the truck, I called my insurance company. Because the vehicle was less than 26,000 pounds, obtaining coverage as a privately owned non-commercial vehicle was no problem (Progressive). Cost around $900 annually. Item #3: slam dunk.

When driving my Peterbilt Motorhome conversion I am considered a "Recreational Vehicle" with all the rights there-of. That means no weigh stations; no commercial inspections; no special taxes. I can't be put "out of service" because Im not "in service." Item #4: doesn't exist!

So my point of all this is to try and put a positive note on navigating the maze of box-truck- conversion-to-RV process for those of you who are contemplating this type of vehicle. Check your state laws to determine EXACTLY what is required; every state is different and everyone's story here is unique. I was lucky because I live in an "easy state." Actually, my licensing/registration process was almost enjoyable; it got done, I didn't get pulled through any knotholes, and the whole thing got done in just over 30 days (most of this delay was caused by me, but that's another story).

Be persistent; stay at it; remember that box trucks are cool and you will love it.

Welcome and I can't wait to see your build! As a guy who has done an install on a chassis, I will say yes, yes you can put a box from one chassis on another. The sprinters are nice, but being a Mercedes platform, parts are a little more pricey. If you do go for a diesel there are really good ones and some really bad ones out there. If you plan to go WVO then the choice you make in engines matters even more. While newer diesels will run WVO, you will have injector issues and high pressure pump problems. They just are not designed to handle the viscosity of oil. Look for an older mechanically injected motor (no computer). The injectors are a lot more robust. That's just my .02 cents...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts