Box for Propane Tank

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it necessary to store the propane tank in an airtight box with vent through the floor of van?

• Yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Trading propane stories? My young, pregnant daughter took her brand new tank to the fill station. She was distracted and when refocused on the task at hand, her new tank was gone and a rusty beat-up bottle remaining. So I still curse the fine folks around Apex, NC. Occasionally sticking pins in the doll.

he accidentally overfilled one, so the release valve was doing it’s job. This can also happen if your tanks overheat.

Just wanted to share a recent experience, not with propane, but with CO2, thankfully. I had my beer keg's CO2 tank refilled, and I brought it home. It was warmer indoors than the store where it was (over)filled. A few hours later -- BOOM, the relief valve opened. The entire basement was filled with a dense suffocating fog within just a few seconds. The tank had actually done a little rocketeering around my basement since it wasn't strapped down yet. Luckily, I was able to find it quickly and get it outside. Once the relief valve opens, it empties the entire tank. The only damage was the gas water heater's pilot light had been snuffed out.

But can you imagine an event like that inside a moving vehicle? with a flammable gas? It scares the hell out of me.
I've seen some van builds that put the sealed box, vented outside, and I think it's a great idea that could save your life.

Just finished drilling a hole in my floor for a vent for a propane locker. After I filed, sanded, primed and painted the hole, I fitted a 1" to 3/4" adapter into the hole. 1" receptacle facing up, 3/4" side into the hole. sealed with silicone 2, the type that is non corrosive to metals. The thickness of insulation, plywood and flooring allowed the adapter to sit flush with the floor. I drilled a hole for and inserted a small length of 1" pvc pipe in the box the tank sits in that slips inside the adapter from above. I attached a short length of 3/4" pipe on the underside with a 90 degree bend and a piece of window screen to keep water and bugs out. The locker opens from the top. Any gas that gets released should vent out through the bottom as its heavier than air. Decided to err on the side of safety rather than chance it. But You could probably be safe just turning the tank valve when you want to use it and then off when you don't. I was a bit concerned changes in pressure from altitude may cause the cylinder to vent excess pressure, which has to go somewhere. It will flow out beneath the vehicle now. Better safe than sorry, etc.

I have an Ambo with the O2 door so I can put 100# tank in & just get it filled. Tractor Supply is the cheapest & they only charge how many gallons you use.

I think that has to do with federal laws concerning van conversions. It’s the safest thing to do to prevent a leak from turning into an explosion. I sometimes worry about the 1 lb bottles in my truck when it gets hot. I bought one of those 1 gallon tanks, but I will keep it in the truck bed, not in the cab.
I kept my 1 lb propane bottles in a closed up van parked on the streets of North and South Carolina during the entire summer and it wasn't a problem. At a certain temperature, 120 to 130 degrees Fahrenheit, they might vent to relieve pressure but you will 100% smell that if it happens.

Just FYI, propane stinks for safety reasons. If there's ever a leak in your van, you're going to smell it. Even a small leak stinks. Leaking propane is only a concern if you have it somewhere out of the way where you can't smell it, like in a basement or separate room.

Just wanted to share a recent experience, not with propane, but with CO2, thankfully. I had my beer keg's CO2 tank refilled, and I brought it home. It was warmer indoors than the store where it was (over)filled. A few hours later -- BOOM, the relief valve opened. The entire basement was filled with a dense suffocating fog within just a few seconds. The tank had actually done a little rocketeering around my basement since it wasn't strapped down yet. Luckily, I was able to find it quickly and get it outside. Once the relief valve opens, it empties the entire tank. The only damage was the gas water heater's pilot light had been snuffed out.

But can you imagine an event like that inside a moving vehicle? with a flammable gas? It scares the hell out of me.
I've seen some van builds that put the sealed box, vented outside, and I think it's a great idea that could save your life.
That's not what happens with propane or butane.

Just FYI, propane stinks for safety reasons. If there's ever a leak in your van, you're going to smell it. Even a small leak stinks. Leaking propane is only a concern if you have it somewhere out of the way where you can't smell it, like in a basement or separate room.
I believe the smell is added so you can tell ifs it leaking, and with COVID one of the things that is affected is your sense of smell.

I believe the smell is added so you can tell ifs it leaking, and with COVID one of the things that is affected is your sense of smell.
Very true. Covid can affect some people's sense of smell. Thankfully most people don't have an active case of covid.

My project is my first time using propane. I'm using 2 bottom-vented propane boxes. The one in the attic fuels my water heater and there is only about 10 inches of hose from box to heater, and I have an alarm right there. The other box is under my kitchen unit and fuels both my camp stove and wave3 heater - 2 hoses, 1 with regulator and one without. I have another alarm on the floor under the counter. My attention to safety on this build is approaching ridiculous. But y'know I plan to be in vacation mode a lot. I'll be using a wood stove in there, smoking cigars, and relaxing. I'm building lots of risk mitigation measures into the physical plant itself, in case I go on auto-pilot. I should do an article on my safety features.

That's not what happens with propane or butane.
It depends. If the tank is stored on its side when the relief valve opens, it can ice up very fast, and ice can lock the valve open. As a propane retailer, I used to hate filling the RV tanks because you had to fill them with the bleeder open and wait until liquid came out. Instant frostbite if you're not careful.

It depends. If the tank is stored on its side when the relief valve opens, it can ice up very fast, and ice can lock the valve open. As a propane retailer, I used to hate filling the RV tanks because you had to fill them with the bleeder open and wait until liquid came out. Instant frostbite if you're not careful.
They're not going to shoot around the room even with the valve open.

Had a brother in law who was an engineer for a natural gas pipeline. He had a collection of hats with all of the logos of the companies who produced "odorants" to give the gas its smell to alert anyone there was a leak. An added safety feature.

Latest posts