Booster seat/restraint as dog grows

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mothercoder

Reaction score
I'm getting a Golden Retriever puppy next month, about 4 weeks before I hit the road. I plan on taking her with me in the truck everywhere I go during that first month so she can get used to it. I am researching good seating for her in the passenger seat which can be changed as she grows. To see out, she will need a booster seat to start with. And I believe in restraints for your pet passenger. I am open to suggestions on how best to pull this off. TIA

mothercoder said:
I'm getting a Golden Retriever puppy next month, about 4 weeks before I hit the road. I plan on taking her with me in the truck everywhere I go during that first month so she can get used to it. I am researching good seating for her in the passenger seat which can be changed as she grows. To see out, she will need a booster seat to start with. And I believe in restraints for your pet passenger. I am open to suggestions on how best to pull this off. TIA
How exciting!
Do you have back seat that is available(or at least half available)?
I use this hammock:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YYL0WA...91c2-8107008cc331&ie=UTF8&qid=1518106061&sr=3

Puppies tend to pee and barf a lot in the car until they mature and get used to the motion. This hammock gives them room to move around without tumbling off seats, is waterproof for accidents, hoses off and dries quickly. 

Back seat is safer for animal to travel in than front (death) seat.  I also attach a short length safety restraint to back headrest and then to dog harness, not collar! (see RED one in this pic)
2419.jpeg

Attachments

• 2419.jpeg
    2419.jpeg
    12.4 KB · Views: 7
here is a pic of Soren and Frazz when they were pups on their hammock.
IMG_1787.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1787.jpg
    IMG_1787.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
I travel with a beagle in a standard cab pickup.  I built a platform for him to rest on since the seat is a little small for even a 30 lb. dog.  The platform allows him to stretch out, turn around, get into/out of the sun.  He wears a harness when traveling that is tied into the non-retracting part of the seatbelt.  The length of the tether is so he can touch me but not jump on me and doesn't hit the front in a rear end accident.  Sides of platform are because he claws at the windows, dash, seat when he sees animals. It also has a fixed water bowl he can't tip over.

simon nest.jpg

Attachments

• simon nest.jpg
    simon nest.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 11
tav-2020 said:
How exciting!
Do you have back seat that is available(or at least half available)?
I'm not sure I will, at least for the first portion of the trip as I go to pick up my trailer.  I like the hammock better and it's a better solution as she grows.  I'll have to see what I can do to fit all my junk in the back.

My dogs would kill me if I did that to them. They ride in the back of the truck!

cheap and simple.
plywood cut to fit seat, with supports bolted to the floor.
cover with thin foam and nice carpet for there comfort.
use a strap or seatbelts to make a cross line. then using a body harnes lock it to said cross strap.
only open windows as needed for your pup to stick his/her head out for air.

Latest posts