Boat living

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offroad

Reaction score
Bob posted this great reference article a while back.  But having trouble understanding the costs mentioned.

It says bottom line $30,000 per year to live at a dock.  But also mentioned it costs $30,000 worst case to get a boat.  Assume it means that the living costs typical all combined is $30,000 a year?

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/other-conversions/boat/

So if I bought a boat (much cheaper than a condominium purchase) and I rented a slip,  it looks like my costs could be below $1000 per month.  Basically a five year loan on $30000 is $600 monthly, and a slip can be found with electric for $400 a month.  After five years you sell the boat and get back half your money.  Its kind of a real good deal, and way better than renting an apartment.

http://www.captainjohn.org/Frugal1.html

Get a sailboat under 30 feet with under 5 foot draft.  There are many of these available for under $10,000, in particular there are low prices in the Great Lake region.  Make sure that it has an outboard bracket and a gas four stroke outboard of 8 to 15 horsepower.  Another option is to find a similar boat with a small diesel motor in good condition, although these can be difficult and expensive to repair in some places.

Have an emergency fund of about $5,000 for repair or replacement of damaged items, new motor, anchor, sail rigging, etc.

Anchor out with a good anchor as much as possible, use marinas only occasionally.

With this setup, you can travel the Great Loop for about $1,000 per month, more or less, depending on your drinking and dining habits.  It also depends on how fast you move, fuel costs will increase if you are making miles every day.

http://www.captainjohn.org/GL-5-Scoop.html

5 years living on my 32' sailboat and I rarely spent as much as $1000 in a month.
When traveling, I spent most nights "on the hook" and used my "dink" to go to town. Very seldom would I take a slip.
If I was in my home port I had a slip I traded maintenance on the dock for rent.
I invested less than 10 grand for a boat in great shape and had to spend very little on upkeep over that time.

Personally, I found it to be a fairly cheap way to live and got most of my investment back when I sold it. And, I had a great 5 years.

People live in Paris on old barges and boats moored three across. Cheap way to live in an expensive city. I'd do it, but wifey doesn't want to live on a boat...

Am thinking because of lack of public land in the east of Mississippi River, many might be better served to consider the boat living lifestyle, versus the van living lifestyle. Well at least we can consider it, because most apartments are over $1000 per month.

I had a 31 foot Natucket Clipper Yawl for 6 years in Vancouver BC. I lived on it for the first year, full time. It was a lot cheaper then renting an apartment and a lot of fun in the summer. The winter was hard because of the dampness, darkness, the mold, smelly clothes etc.. I ended up renting a room over the winter months, living in it in the spring summer and fall, over the years the room extended to part of spring and fall. If you aren't working and can move around it is easy to just anchor out like boondocking. I wouldn't do it again unless it was a much bigger boat with a pilot house that you could sit in that was high enough to see above the other boats or if I had an outer slip, windows tend to be small on boats. I know it sounds romantic to be anchored out in a secluded bay off some beautiful island but the reality of rowing into shore, every time you want to go for a walk or get something, not having access to other people can get a bit old. If I had a big enough boat, 36 footer or more, a partner that was willing to live this life style along with some sort of income in order to stay in small marinas or live out in bays then I might consider it again. Climate is a big issue as well, on the PNW it rains a lot, if you lived in perpetual summer I think it could be a nice lifestyle, at least that is what I used to believe I am not convinced that I see it that way anymore. I still like the idea but maybe been there done that, felt the chill is still there despite many years since living the lifestyle.

Flying - thanks for the demystification and removing the false romance from it. Constant humidity and not seeing far would be a factor. Currently live in charleston SC with too many marinas all taunting me with cheap rental slips. Lol.

Don't get me wrong I loved it when I was living it, had a lot of fun, lived for sailing and tinkering with the boat, sailed 1000s of miles stayed in many beautiful bays, it was very romantic at times. It is like everything in life, you are drawn to an interest and follow it through till you get a new one or loose interest. I still love boats, love marinas, and think it is a nice alternative lifestyle, just not for me at this time, been there done that, too many other great lifestyles to try, too few years. I can relate to the attraction don't let me discourage you, it was a vey positive experience for me.

I know the Sacramento river delta (CA) has over 1000 miles of waterways. I wonder if you could buy an old barge/pontoon float and park your van on it and then just anchor it in one of the little "side bays" ?
KinA

As long as the floatation works and you do not have capsize risk ever.

Just bought a 40' houseboat. Moving onto it in July. Docking is 270 a month, includes everything but electric. Can even get cable/internet. Still have a lot to do the the boat, it was refurbished, but for weekend use not live aboard. I'll have to build out the inner walls and insulate, add a heat pump system and since its an older boat I'm also going to have to add the holding tank for the John. (its a 72 which in Tenn is not required to have the tank, but it's still illegal to dump blackwater directly) The marina has shower/bathrooms and offers a pump out service for the tanks. It should be an interesting endeavor and one that I'm looking forward to. May even start a blog about it.

There is a guy in Phoenix who stripped a pontoon and put his travel trailer on it. Had the coast guard certify it and now uses it on lake powell...

Not sure if this is the one, but there seem to be plenty...

7374acf36e33b0699f407614fae2596e.jpg

Zonie -- nice. That's a hard side pop up camper. wonder how hard it would be to tow and launch that upon demand.

I keep thinking about this house boat setup. Launch and park it in the middle of a lake-pond-slow river for summer. Live nice and no cost. --- take it out for winter and store the pontoon boat and drive south to Florida or Arizona to camp.

ZoNiE said:
There is a guy in Phoenix who stripped a pontoon and put his travel trailer on it. Had the coast guard certify it and now uses it on lake powell...

Not sure if this is the one, but there seem to be plenty...

7374acf36e33b0699f407614fae2596e.jpg

Something tells me that might be photoshopped.

The entrance to the A-liner camper is on the side. The only way in to it is from the water and the guardrail is preventing the door from opening outwards.

Nice try but not realistic.

All it would take is another gate in the railing where the Aliner(sp?) door is and a flip down gang plank from the Aliners(sp?) back gate to the front gate.  Gang plank folded against the side and it would still be be able to be towed on a trailer,  I can redneck engineer with the best of 'em :D  Probably someones pipe dream.

Can you put a generator on a boat that is anchored off shore and run it without noise complaints? Likely a noise ordinance on the lake after sundown.

Neat pontoon!

Here is a shot of mine...

$_1.JPG

Inside right now...

$_2.JPG

Attachments

• $_1.JPG
    $_1.JPG
    35.1 KB
  • $_2.JPG
    $_2.JPG
    21.4 KB