Boat living

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ngarover - what is the used price for something like that?

I used to watch this Youtube Video of a couple of Blue Grass Musicians who built a Shanty Boat out of an old
barn,  and dream.  They run it on the Kentucky River and tie it up on the edge of their property. 

I think they use it to promote the image of their music and sell some records.  :D

offroad said:
Ngarover -  what is the used price for something like that?

I gave 4k for it. A lot of work has been done to it, and there is still a lot to do to make it a live aboard, but it seems to be a really good start.

4K is a KILLER deal for a houseboat! (and especially one that's IN the water, and keeping the water on the outside parts.)
I've been watching these things sell over on e-Bay, and the houseboats outsell the cruisers 4 to 1!!!

I made a deal to buy a pontoon houseboat many years ago, back when I was trucking. I was gonna live in it when I wasn't out on the road, but gave up just before the purchase date after I realized just how much work the ol' girl needed!! (it was pretty rough) :/

hey Ngarover...where are you located?? Lower Missouri delta??

I now live on the western coastline, and have been watching auctions of de-commissioned commercial fishing boats. (once you sell off the permits & the commercial gear, the boats sell pretty cheaply!)
I'd like to convert one into a floating houseboat, art studio.

No porta-potty, having an actual working system is too nice. If you look at teh inside picture, you can see the toilet in the back bathroom. There is a full corner shower beside it you cant see and a sink on the other side, then a second door that exits to the rear. The center part in front of the bathroom has 4 bunks that fold flat against the wall and then there is storage under both. There are pocket doors that close between the bathroom and center and center and (dining room). In the picture you can see where there is a drop down, right after the black leather couch... that's what I call the dinning room. I'm going to put an RV dinette that will be convertible to a bed, plus storage on the right side, the left has a Mini fridge, and a new counter top propane stove. No oven, but area built for one, or a microwave. What you don't see in the picture is the flat screen TV mounted above the dining room. The boat was out of water 3 years ago and fully refurbished, a new merccruiser 140 was put in and the owner rebuilt what you see from a fully gutting interior. He also added depth finders, a marine radio, Video cameras for seeing in front and behind you (night vision). Everything is LED lighting inside and out. There is also a new roof A/c (RV) that was installed 2 years ago. It also has 1500W heat strips. I know from my RV's that running those is $$$ so while I'll keep the system as a backup, the heat pump is really in order.

My initial plan is to frame out the inside with 2x2's and fill with closed cell Styrofoam for insulation. Replace both the large windows with are old aluminum framed (think 72) non insulated single pane with these .. http://www.lowes.com/pd_319330-40446-748171612775_0__?productId=3119707 which are almost the exact size. After that, I plan on putting in a Heating system, like this... http://www.marinaire.com/Marine-air...msba16k2.htm?gclid=CKHihviupsYCFQenaQod2s4NXg which will provide heat and cooling efficiently. (it pulls heat/cooling from the surrounding water) Of course I also have to add that black water holding tank and plumb it. IF I enjoy living on it after all this, next years plans would be to reside the outside with foam filled siding giving it more insulation, and making it look more "modern".

Oh, and I'm in Chattanooga so I do have to deal with a small (8-12 weeks) winter. The boat is on the Tenn River, above the dam. It give me access to something like 10K miles of water way, and direct access to the "Great Loop" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Loop is I ever feel like traveling that.