Blu-Ray Player powered via USB

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdoverl

Reaction score
I’ve tried searching online.

Does anyone know if a BluRay Player powered by USB exist?

If not, does anyone know of BluRay Players with a socket for power that consume very little power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why Blue Ray and why not DVD? The reason I ask is there are DVD players that fit that bill. Also a lot of RV stereos are also DVD players.

Highdesertranger

I assume you do not mean USB blueray drives that plug into your PC? They do make a number of those.

A quick look on amazon lead me to find a blueray player that uses 20w of power via a standard AC plug. I suppose if one were so inclined they could use 2 usb buck converters to power it from a USB bank or 2 connected to an el cheapo inverter.

I'm not sure why it would need to be USB though. How is your TV powered?

https://www.amazon.com/Blu-Ray-Theater-Control-Coaxial-Standard/dp/B08BL4SKRG

No reason I chose this one other than I could see how many watts it used.

That’s correct, not one that connects to PC. I’m connecting it to a monitor.

The monitor is powered via USB C and uses 7 watts an hour.

I’m just starting to see the benefits of USB powered devices and am slowly trying to convert every to that.

EDIT: If that BluRay player you found uses twenty watts, then it makes more sense to just use my laptop. It uses about 30 watts. I’m thinking of looking into low powered laptops and connecting an external BluRay player.

Hmm. Ok yeah. . Jeez. I havent seen one. The only ass backwards way I can think of to make one run via usb would be 2 buck converters wired in series to a small AC inverter. Wasteful.

Other than taking one apart and rewiring it. Or maybe finding a 12v player like they have 12v TVs (I just bought one myself) but still you'd need to convert the voltage so there would be loss.

highdesertranger said:
Why Blue Ray and why not DVD? The reason I ask is there are DVD players that fit that bill. Also a lot of RV stereos are also DVD players.

Highdesertranger

My movie collection is half DVD and BluRay.

This is just an idea I’m floating around.

Looks like BluRay players are about 20 watts.

You said you know of DVD players that fit the Bill? USB powered?

Another thought I just had was getting a low powered laptop and connecting an external BluRay drive, or connect a high capacity external hard drive and watch ripped movies from that.

There are a millions to go about this. I’m about to bust out some electronics this week and measure wattage use. Such as how much power a 3.5 inch hard drive consumes when externally connected. I also have other hard drives I could test, SSD, M.2, etc.

Yes I have a portable DVD/CD player that runs off USB. I have only used it plugged into my laptop, as that is why I bought it. I also have a RV stereo that can play DVD as well as CD's and my 12v TV has a built in DVD player. I went with DVD over Blue Ray because DVD stuff was so much easier to find. Highdesertranger

I dont know of a USB powered DVD player. I would imagine there are 12v DVD and possibly blueray players.

A USB powered portable dvd player might exist. Maybe even one with video out for an external monitor.

SSD would use much less power than an actual hard disk HDD drive. Also if its mobile I'd still go with SSD to prevent vibration damage. A netbook and blueray drive might in fact be the way to go.

Look for a rechargeable portable blu ray player. Then make sure it has a port for transfering the image to a larger screen.

I recharge devices using a small inverter during the sunny hours of the day via my battery which is charged by my solar panel. I also recharge my laptop that way and in addition I have extra batteries to switch out for my laptop if I need to work a lot of hours or work on rainy days. Where there is a will there is a way but of course it takes a financial investment in equipment to make your dreams come true.

There is no point in trying to use a blu ray player on a Netbook. First of all the operating system is unlikely to be compatible with Blu Ray player software. But even more critical to take advantage of Blu Ray visual quality you need a laptop with 4K screen resolution. That is not a feature found on Netbooks. That screen resolution is only found on higher end laptops and higher end monitors.

maki2 said:
There is no point in trying to use a blu ray player on a Netbook. First of all the operating system is unlikely to be compatible with Blu Ray player software. But even more critical to take advantage of Blu Ray visual quality you need a laptop with 4K screen resolution. That is not a feature found on Netbooks. That screen resolution is only found on higher end laptops and higher end monitors.

Sorry, maybe we didn’t differentiate between a BluRay player and a BluRay drive, though we’ve talked about both. It would be possible to connect a BluRay player to a laptop with a capture card, but that would be pointless as I have a BluRay drive I can use.

I’m not concerned about the laptop not being 4K, as I own BluRay disc, and would like to play them. If I didn’t own BluRay disc, I wouldn’t have started this thread.

The whole point of this thread is to discover low powered solutions for electronics.

highdesertranger said:
Yes I have a portable DVD/CD player that runs off USB. I have only used it plugged into my laptop, as that is why I bought it. I also have a RV stereo that can play DVD as well as CD's and my 12v TV has a built in DVD player. I went with DVD over Blue Ray because DVD stuff was so much easier to find. Highdesertranger

I think I’m going to research mini PCs and figure out how much power they draw. Then plug in my external BluRay player into that.

EDIT: Found a great YouTube video about mini pc power usage. The model used in this video uses about 5-22 watts per hour. About 10 watts for video playback(YouTube). Of course this doesn’t take into account watt consumption of external devices connected.

I just had a thought, I’m going to look into a Raspberry Pi. I’m assuming they have low power usage.

Raspberry Pi is looking promising and should be cheap to setup. I took a screenshot from this YouTube video

A whopping 5 watts of power at max load.

Of course many other things need to be researched. What type of USB ports are on a raspberry pi and how much power draw for external devices.

EDIT: I pulled out my BluRay drive to see power consumption on the label. 5 volts and 1.6 amps, so it uses 8 watts per hour. Requires two usb 3.0 ports to power. So if I setup a raspberry pi, it would consume 13 watts per hour while watching movies, which appear to be great numbers against all other options.

Then it would be a whole list of other issues to work out.
1. I would have to install Linux, no problem.
2. Getting drivers for the BluRay drive to work on Linux, if they even exist, that’s a problem. This would really be the only issue.

3de92254b2376c4e3c60725b60064112.jpg

Sadly the state of BluRay playback on Linux is very bad. You would have to rip the BluRay disc to remove copyright protection and then store the movie on a hard drive.

So it looks like I’m back to mini PCs.

Yeah I was gonna say that linux might be hard to find a decoder for. I had a raspberry pi once when I was going to try and use it with my ham radio. Possibly look into chrome OS. They make chrome boxes AND sticks. The stick plugs into HDMI like a roku. I used to have an android stick that was lots of fun but I murdered it. That company is out of business now.

XERTYX said:
Yeah I was gonna say that linux might be hard to find a decoder for. I had a raspberry pi once when I was going to try and use it with my ham radio. Possibly look into chrome OS. They make chrome boxes AND sticks. The stick plugs into HDMI like a roku. I used to have an android stick that was lots of fun but I murdered it. That company is out of business now.

I’m definitely getting an intel compute stick. They run on average at 10-12 watts per hour.

Just deciding if I want a low end or high end stick. They run from 100 to 300 dollars depending on quality.

Been watching YouTube videos of people testing pc sticks out, movies, gaming, they can do everything and come with windows 10 installed.

Doing some research on power consumption.

My current laptop uses 45 watts per hour.
With the external BluRay drive connected is used 53 watts per hour. With my 500 Watt batter that gives me 9.4 hours of continuous use.

With an intel computer stick it uses 10 watts per hour on average. My monitor uses about 8 watts per hour, and the BluRay drive would bring total watts to 25. This would give me 20 hours of continuous use on my battery.

This alone doubles the run time of the battery and seems like a win/win for me.

You have to watch out for Windows 10 OS, there are some very limited versions of it that might not be compatible with the software for running an external blu ray player. Before you buy any devices be sure you have a match between the OS and the device drivers and software for playing the disc.

maki2 said:
You have to watch out for Windows 10 OS, there are some very limited versions of it that might not be compatible with the software for running an external blu ray player. Before you buy any devices be sure you have a match between the OS and the device drivers and software for playing the disc.

This is the device I’m looking at...

https://www.amazon.com/Stick-Window...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Trying to figure out if the processor is ARM.