Big buddy heater, black Friday deal

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaco

Reaction score
Tractor supply has Big Buddy heaters on sale 99.99 on black Friday.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Available now, online or pickup now, but not combined.

A bit of overkill in a van, it will roast you pretty quick, though it still does have the same 4500BTU low setting. See if they have a sale on the smaller "Potable Buddy" single tank heater. Smaller footprint, lighter weight.
But, having both, I do find the Big Buddy easier to start, and has a QD hookup for the 20lb. external tank.

They have the small Buddy for 69.99.

I figured I would just keep it on low.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

LeeRevell said:
A bit of overkill in a van, it will roast you pretty quick, though it still does have the same 4500BTU low setting.
Yes, would kill you that much quicker if you had everything well sealed up, puts out a lot of moisture too.

For a small space the regular Mr is plenty, unless you're in the Dakotas or something, even tiny Jr is enough for most.

But that BB monster would be perfect for something like this: http://image.trucktrend.com/f/24712...2009_overland_expo+mercedes_benz_sprinter.jpg

So thanks for the heads up, just picked one up, will use for my four-hour propane-fired whole-turkey frying session tomorrow morning, plan to keep myself between the two furnaces, might need an umbrella too looks like 8-(

John61CT said:
Yes, would kill you that much quicker if you had everything well sealed up

They have low-oxygen shut-offs, where "low" is roughly equivalent to air at 7,000 feet. That won't harm you.

Just picked up a big buddy at Tractor Suppy last night. I would agree its over kill for a van. I got it for my big rig. Even on low its 9k btu, so I'll have to keep at least 2 windows open not to roast myslf. Id rather had too much heater, than not enough. I figure I can take this fly camping up in the mtns, and stay toasty in a thin light weight tent.[emoji12]

fb10991ed7a299fa990aaf4090b7adda.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

MrNoodly said:
They have low-oxygen shut-offs, where "low" is roughly equivalent to air at 7,000 feet. That won't harm you.
AFAIK it's not that precise, just that when there isn't enough O2 to burn the flame goes out and the gas gets automatically turned off.

Might not kill you, doubt it would be healthy. If these were legal for indoor use in better regulated countries maybe I'd trust them more.

Mind you I do use them indoors, just make sure to crack a window if it's in a tight space, and never while sleeping.

We bought one of the Big Buddys at Tractor Supply Friday ,along with the filter and the hose for 20lb tank. Used it in our travel trailer Saturday through Wednesday on a spot that was outside of Roswell. Kept track of the time it was on here and there. For 5 days it ran about 17 hours total on low if you averaged out the high , medium  and low times. Lows at night were between 24 and 30. Worked great . With window cracked while using it and vent in bathroom left open, condensation was not to bad. Did not use much propane. Very happy with it. Heated place right up in the morning when we would turn it on.

grimmal said:
We bought one of the Big Buddys at Tractor Supply Friday ,along with the filter and the hose for 20lb tank. Used it in our travel trailer Saturday through Wednesday on a spot that was outside of Roswell. Kept track of the time it was on here and there. For 5 days it ran about 17 hours total on low if you averaged out the high , medium  and low times. Lows at night were between 24 and 30. Worked great . With window cracked while using it and vent in bathroom left open, condensation was not to bad. Did not use much propane. Very happy with it. Heated place right up in the morning when we would turn it on.
I also got the 12ft hose and filter at tractor supply. This is good to know, when I find a 20 lb cylinder. With propane so cheap in Texas right now, I can keep warm for $1.50 a day. [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Latest posts