Bicycles?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ballenxj said:
I don't have a problem with cables either, but that guy was telling me that he could tune his shifts on the fly, and for each gear. He said there was a little plus and minus button on either side of the shifting button, and when he got it where he wanted it, he hit another button to save it.
My reply was, Nice! But your bike is now battery dependent?

Yes, his bike is now battery dependent.  It'll hold the gear it's in when the battery dies though.  *sigh*

The adjustment?  That's what barrel adjusters on the shifters do too.  Once they're adjusted properly, it's one click either way, and you're good to go.  I don't understand the fascination with electronics.

I still ride whenever I have time. I have a mountain bike and my old Fuji road bike from the 80's. I am fortunate to live a few miles from a challenging 12 mile loop mountain bike trail thru the state rec area. Helps me lose my winter weight gain...

hepcat said:
Yes, his bike is now battery dependent.  It'll hold the gear it's in when the battery dies though.  *sigh*

The adjustment?  That's what barrel adjusters on the shifters do too.  Once they're adjusted properly, it's one click either way, and you're good to go.  I don't understand the fascination with electronics.
Electronics are great, I'm typing right now using that technology. Electronics in my transportation? I say neat, but keep them to a minimum.
Minimum for me on a bicycle would be headlamp, Red flashing led tail lamp, and a speedometer with odometer.
I would like at least my bicycle to still be EMP proof. :rolleyes:

I think a recumbent bike might help my hip, but it's a lot of money on a not so sure thing. I have looked at some hand pedal types to get my upper body strength back to where it was.

Rob

hepcat said:
I'm thinning the herd and selling off my up-wrong diamond-frame bikes.  I had a Bike Friday NWT for several years and loved it.

Now I have an HP Velotechnik Grasshopper fx recumbent folder.  It's dual suspension with touring racks.  
It was stupid-expensive,  but it was worth EVERY penny as I can literally ride it all day long if I want.

Yup, they're expensive, but you can't beat HP Velotechnik for quality and comfort.
I've been riding a HPV Street Machine since 2006, and had a couple of tadpole trikes before that.  
I've since added a Bachetta Giro "High Racer" to my collection.   

Recumbents are the best...  :cool:

Attachments

• Street Machine by the Bay.jpg
    Street Machine by the Bay.jpg
    81.4 KB
Gunny said:
I think a recumbent bike might help my hip, but it's a lot of money on a not so sure thing. I have looked at some hand pedal types to get my upper body strength back to where it was.

Rob, I don't think a hand pedal recumbent will do much for your hip, but it'll dang sure strengthen your upper body.
You guys have now got me looking at recumbents on CL.  They aren't cheap!
Found a trike by bent cycle, but don't know enough about these things to fill a thimble. Wait, how many here know what a thimble is? :p

Ballenxj said:
Rob, I don't think a hand pedal recumbent will do much for your hip, but it'll dang sure strengthen your upper body.
You guys have now got me looking at recumbents on CL.  They aren't cheap!
Found a trike by bent cycle, but don't know enough about these things to fill a thimble. Wait, how many here know what a thimble is? :p

The most interesting thing I've found about recumbents is how two recumbent bikes (or trikes) that look similar can ride and handle so completely differently.  One will scare the bejeebers out of you, and another will just glide along and fit you perfectly.   I like the short wheelbase bikes, and I've had several of them now.  All of the ones I had rode well, but some were much twitchier than others.  

I'd recommend being patient and riding as many of them as you can before you drop your cash on one so you can feel the difference.  And actually they can be had reasonably priced, used...

And THEN, I've found that I like to gear them lower... in some cases MUCH lower, and have 150 or 152mm crank arms instead of 175s that you'd find on a road or mountain bike. 

WTH is a 'bent cycle' trike?

hepcat said:
WTH is a 'bent cycle' trike?
One that's been hit by a car? :p  Sorry, I went back and looked at the AD, the company's name is ActionBent. Other than that, I'm referring to the thimble clause above. :D

Ok... gotcha.

First, of COURSE I know what a thimble is... while you're older than dirt... I'm merely older than dirt clods. Fortunately, all that there is to know about recumbents will actually fit nicely in a thimble.

Actionbent is a Taiwanese company who make some pretty good trikes, actually. I don't recall that they fold tho... and that may not be so easy to bring along in the van.

Good folding trikes are built by ICE (my favorite), HP Velotechnik (the company who built my bike), and Greenspeed (the GT series.) There are other folders out there, but their components aren't as high of quality as ICE, HP, and Greenspeed.

Thanks Roger, by components your referring to better derailleurs, brakes, hubs and bearings etc? Or general frame build? Are they easier on bad backs too?

scored a newer mountain bike,pumped up the tires and road it around the block and there was a serious problem,the size of the seat compared to the size of my butt,could figure a way to mount my lazyboy to it and gave it to a neighbor kid

Your back and neck will thank you. As will your butt and your hands... and your nether regions that go numb on an up wrong. The really cool thing about recumbents is that you can ride them ALL day long without pain. You may tire from exertion, but you won't have pain... anywhere.

Yes. Frames are pretty much all made in Taiwan by Giant or another large manufacturer now for most companies (not all) so they're of pretty high quality. Frame materials and alloys may vary... as will frame weight, of course. But the big difference is higher end drivetrains, bearings, and quality of fit and finish. For example, a 9 speed Shimano XT group was $1500 (retail) alone a few years ago, and all of my trikes/bikes have at least XT level components on them. Alex wheels can easily run $200 each. The tires I have on my trike, Schwalbe Big Apple flotation tires are about $50 each.

Gary68 said:
scored a newer mountain bike,pumped up the tires and road it around the block and there was a serious problem,the size of the seat compared to the size of my butt,could figure a way to mount my lazyboy to it and gave it to a neighbor kid
Gary, if you did manage to mount a lazy boy to it, you'd have to figure out where to attach the seat belt.

Roger, what did you think of the ActionBent trike? Can you start out cheap and upgrade a little at a time?

Ballenxj said:
Roger, what did you think of the ActionBent trike? Can you start out cheap and upgrade a little at a time?

The problem with cheap bikes is that they have square bearings.  The loss of energy through friction is horrendous...  which means you'll ride it one time, it'll be a real chore and you'll never ride it again... so essentially whatever you spent on it, you wasted.

Mid-level trikes/bikes lose MUCH less energy to friction in the drive train components and are much easier to ride further with less energy output.  

My take is that if you buy a cheap bike/trike and you're willing to ride it, ride it 'til it breaks and trash it.  There's no point in buying a cheap bike/trike for $500, putting $1000 into component upgrades, and still have a $500 bike.  If you buy a $2,000 bike used for $500 with good components on it, then it's worth replacing components when they need it.

hepcat said:
Your back and neck will thank you.  As will your butt and your hands... and your nether regions that go numb on an up wrong.  The really cool thing about recumbents is that you can ride them ALL day long without pain.  You may tire from exertion, but you won't have pain... anywhere.

Yes.  Frames are pretty much all made in Taiwan by Giant or another large manufacturer now for most companies (not all) so they're of pretty high quality. 

PS, You have inbound PM.

All my life, I've ridden for recreation and as transportation. I have a great photo of me the day before one of my son's birth with a gallon of milk and groceries hanging of the handlebars - he was almost 12 pounds.

DH has done self-supported TransAm and tours all over US and Europe. Tenting, sleeping on the side of the road and hostels.

We're bringing both of our bikes. One is a 9 year old Bike Friday mountain bike (mine) and the other is my husband's 32 year old touring bike. They'll be used for fun and for transportation into town. We're planning to park and stay put. Hubby doesn't have any problem riding probably. 20 to 30 miles (he rides that several times a week now) into town for supplies other than water. My distance limit is very limited compared to his.
Ted

hepcat said:
I'm thinning the herd and selling off my up-wrong diamond-frame bikes.  I had a Bike Friday NWT for several years and loved it.

Now I have an HP Velotechnik Grasshopper fx recumbent folder that goes with me in the B-van and my moho when I travel.  I have both the OSS and USS setups for it, but have it in the OSS configuration currently.   It's dual suspension with touring racks.  It was stupid-expensive, even buying it at 40% off list as a NOS bike from a dealer...  but it was worth EVERY penny as I can literally ride it all day long if I want.

Grasshopper fx by Roger H, on Flickr

hp velotechnik grasshopper fx composite by Roger H, on Flickr

Love recumbents! When full-timing for seven years we carried two recumbents (Bike E) and two kayaks. LOved every minute of the RV lifestyle. Now converting a new cargo van and will carry the same. Can you fold your recumbent so you fit it into a bag or container for air travel like a Bike Friday?

Hepcat, what's the speed differential on a recumbent vs upwrong? any?
I need to try to find suppliers near Houston, so i can check some out

Latest posts