Bicycles?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lying on your back, the wind resistance is a lot less, so they tend to be a bit faster (depending on the health of the rider).  

You're going to hate climbing hills, though.  They suck on hills, unless you're riding down them.  :p

ArtW said:
Hepcat, what's the speed differential on a recumbent vs upwrong? any?

Art, I almost hate to even go there because there are SO many variables...  but I'll dust off some old 'conventional wisdom' for you.

Generally, recumbents will be faster down hill and slower up hill.  On the flat, with a similar quality drivetrain and comparable engines,  a 700c high racer will smoke a roadie every time.  It's almost embarrassing sometimes.  High racers and low racers are built for speed.   

Now, that said, all of MY recumbents are purpose-built.  My trike is a touring hauler and is set up as an around-town Sunday afternoon cruiser with 406mm x 2.0 (or 2.15 on the rear) balloon tires on all three corners for suspension float.  I can haul about a hundred pounds with it in the trailer without issue.  My normal camping load is probably around 60lbs including the weight of the trailer.  I've had that combo going downhill at 43mph (towing the trailer) and uphill registering as slow as 0.2mph, slower than walking speed.  So, as you can see, there's quite a range there.  

My Grasshopper fx is a dual-suspension 406 commuter/touring folding bike.   It does duty as a grocery getter, errand runner, and sight-seeing platform when I'm out with the van.  It took the place of my Bike Friday NWT.  While it'll do respectable speeds, it's not a 700c high racer, or a carbon fiber low racer.  It's built to be rugged and to see daily use, not as a go-fast bike.

Both my trike and my bike have custom drive-trains that are substantially geared lower than what they came with stock.  That's important because you can't use your weight transfer to "pump" a recumbent like you do a diamond-frame bike.  Your power is all in your quads and hamstrings...  and you pedal to maintain cadence on a recumbent shifting as often as necessary rather than trying to power through in a taller gear...  and you need enough low gears to be able to shift down as far as necessary to maintain cadence... at the cost of a more constant speed on hills.  You can actually injure yourself on a recumbent trying to be a "tough guy" and push through maintaining speed instead of maintaining cadence and not worrying about speed. 

The one thing I CAN tell you is that there is a learning curve to riding a recumbent bike.  All you've learned riding an up wrong won't help you much as you have to learn how to balance on a different plane, not centered over your feet.  (A non-issue on trikes of course.)  And that recumbent trikes that look similar may have VERY different riding and handling characteristics... so don't ride one SWB recumbent, not like it, and swear them all off.  Try LOTS of them.  One of them will just feel "right."  My Grasshopper fx is that bike for me... and I've had a half-dozen short wheelbase recumbents.   I liked them all, but the Grasshopper fx just fits me better and therefore handles better for me. 

Craigslist is your friend for finding recumbents... and/or the classifieds at Bryan Ball's recumbent forums.  Lots of REALLY good information on all things recumbent there.  That's THE resource for learning about recumbent bikes and trikes.   Let me know if I can answer anything specific for you too. 

Good luck!

So most of my riding is on trails and dirt roads on an old Diamondback mountain bike. Some times those trails can turn very rough, like my once a year trip with a son to a ski resort bike park for some downhill fun. I like the idea of the comfort of a recumbent, but I just don't see them being very practical for much of what I do. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I am saving for a new bike in the hopefully not to distant future.

masterplumber said:
 I like the idea of the comfort of a recumbent, but I just don't see them being very practical for much of what I do. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually, there have been several successful recumbent mountain bikes engineered.  Probably the biggest commercial success is the LWB Ranger by LightfootCycles.  It'll be a whole different experience than what you've had before though.

http://lightfootcycles.com/Ranger-Recumbent-Mountain-Bike

[img=600x523]http://lightfootcycles.com/assets/images/uploads/ranger_recumbent_trail_bike.jpg[/img]

And in researching this, I find that Azub has entered the recumbent mountain biking world too:

Hell naw! That looks scary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a Row Bike, which is a cross between a recumbent and a rowing machine. Bought it off CL because it looked neat. Was weird getting used to it and was ok for a workout but more of a gimic I thought, so I sold it on CL and broke even.
Then I bought a Bike E recumbent bicycle off CL and tried that for a little while. It was comfortable and ok but I didn't like that you couldn't go over any obstacles (curbs, potholes, etc)....strictly smooth street riding. Not real practical in an urban setting trying to avoid cars and all the other dangers. Traded that for a VitaMix blender which I use daily and get way more use out of.
Overall I like regular upright bikes because they are more nimble and handle obstacles better, but I'd like to try that ICE fat wheeled trike! No dealers near me though.

https://www.rowbike.com/

Dgorila1 said:
 Then I bought a Bike E recumbent bicycle off CL and tried that for a little while. It was comfortable and ok but I didn't like that you couldn't go over any obstacles (curbs, potholes, etc)....strictly smooth street riding. Not real practical in an urban setting trying to avoid cars and all the other dangers. 
 Overall I like regular upright bikes because they are more nimble and handle obstacles better, 

Recumbents ARE practical in an urban setting.  just takes a different attitude, skills, and style of riding.  There are thousands of folks riding them in exactly the same setting you're talking about.  I've even ridden a SWB on Hwy 1 in College Park MD...  

Lots and lots of folks had a Bike E as their first recumbent.  They were...  interesting.  Not sure I'd ever want one, nor would I base my opinion of recumbent bikes from that experience.

While I like all things fat tire, and that trike is no exception, trikes are to wide for the single tracks I prefer. But there is an awesome local bike dealer in Colorado Springs that is right next to a trail system. I'm going to have to see if they have any recumbent mountain bikes to try out. I'd honestly never seen any before.

I still use them for fitness purposes like instead of going for a walk every morning I take an hour ride. It's fun especially if you have friends with you, I am not actually a fan of running that is why I prefer on riding my bike.

P1030691.JPG
I bought a Sondors last year and at my age it is perfect. I keep the circulation going without working too hard. I ride 3 to 4 times a week.

Attachments

• P1030691.JPG
    P1030691.JPG
    419 KB · Views: 8
A fat bike is typically a mountain bike, but it has at least 3 inch tires.

RVTravel said:
A fat bike is typically a mountain bike, but it has at least 3 inch tires.

How do they compare with a mountain bike for ease of riding and handling? Are there any advantages?

Fat bikes have forks and back ends to allow those larger diameter tires. They are most used for offroad in sand, mud, snow for better handling. You don't need them for most mountain biking. Many riding that type tire will not be using tire tubes, known as tubeless. You can also get bikes that allow "fatter" tires but less than 3", called plus bikes. The latest tire sizes sold these days are 27.5 and 29 inch bikes. If they are made to allow larger tires they may be called 27.5+ or 29+ bikes, allowing tires nearly 3" in size.

Hepcat, I see what you mean by the complication of answering that question, and you're the second person who's warned me about pushing too high a gear with a recumbent
I look at bikes, like cars, as transportation, so I'd be thinking 'commuter' with maybe the option of towing, and yeah, i sort of lean toward a tadpole because I'm not so sure about riding a single track on my back lol
I do find it interesting that most folks I know who have both, tend to ride one or the other almost exclusively
Is your trailer like a sort f pop up camper? I think I recall seeing it deployed that way once

Last Saturday I took a nasty spill on my Giro, resulting in an injury, as of yet undiagnosed, to my right shoulder that has left my right arm unusable at the shoulder.
Hopefully it won't require surgery.

At any rate, I have decided to sell it and never go back to a "Stick Bike" again.  

There are many things to keep in mind/consider when choosing a recumbent bicycle for the first, or not first, time.  I've been riding my Street Machine for nearly 12 years, but had no idea what to look out for when choosing a new model.  

One thing that should be looked at carefully is how close the pedals come to the front tire/wheel.  The larger your feet, I wear size 13, the more likely you are to suffer "Heel Strike".  That's just what it sounds like.  If you turn the handlebars too much while pedaling, your foot can come into contact with the front tire/wheel, which can result in a nasty surprise.  

In the year that I've owned my Bacchetta Giro I've hit the front tire a number of times, but last Saturday it had catastrophic results.  I binned it HARD, slamming down onto my back and screwing up my shoulder good!  The x-rays didn't show any fractures, thank god, but I've got an MRI later this week to see if anything was torn or damaged, requiring surgery.

Attachments

• Bacchetta Giro 26.jpg
    Bacchetta Giro 26.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 3
BigT said:
Last Saturday I took a nasty spill on my Giro, resulting in an injury, as of yet undiagnosed, to my right shoulder that has left my right arm unusable at the shoulder.
<-------->
  The x-rays didn't show any fractures, thank god, but I've got an MRI later this week to see if anything was torn or damaged, requiring surgery.

That really SUX man! :(  I hope the prognosis is good. This is one reason I've been considering a trike.