best year for GM van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueridge

Reaction score
Hello,

I like the Express / Savanna extended vans.  

Wide variety of years available, I am mostly interested in getting the best mpg and avoiding reliability issues.

I'll start out with a standard van, and may add the Fiberine 30" Transit top later, if funds allow.

Did the mpg improve in the newer GM vans, and if so, what years did they start to improve?

Are the 4.8L engines better for gas mileage or is the 6.0L about the same?

Should I get a 6.0L if I may get the high top later?

Is there a particular transmission I should get, or avoid for reliability?  

Thanks for you insights ...

This post will be fun to watch. First question is how much can you afford? A lot of the recommendations of older more reliable vans will be biased on the labor costs, rebuild component costs and ability on your part to pay for and fix. It is a general rule for those that don't have mechanical ability to buy the newest, lowest mileage van they can afford. So I guess that would apply although there may be some opinions that the newest year model may have changes that were not improvements! Some full timers either have heavy loads or pull trailers and as you stated putting a high top on would limit you to in my opinion at least a 3/4 ton if not a 1 ton if you want it to last. Gasoline big block, small block or diesel engine would be the next choice I would think. Then probably the heavy duty electronic trans for highway speeds and fuel economy or the 400 for reliability and carb engines. I'm gonna guess 410 locking rear end for th high top and traction in BLM areas. I would almost bet looking at Bob Wells vans would answer your question either old or new.

blueridge, here is a mark-0 reference point that you can compare other options against.

I bought a used 2016 GMC Savana 4.8L, standard length, 6-speed automatic. It's the most common Savana sold in my area (found via cargurus.com). I only have a couple hundred pounds of conversion in it, and not a heavy build-out. In 2 years of driving 16,000 miles total, I've averaged about 18 MPG overall on regular 87 octane, and get 20 MPG or so on the open highway.

So there's your baseline for comparison.

Qxxx said:
"Qxxx - I bought a used 2016 GMC Savana 4.8L, standard length, 6-speed automatic. I've averaged about 18 MPG overall on regular 87 octane, and get 20 MPG"

Thanks Qxxx, just the info I'm looking for, do you have a 2500 with a 3.73 final drive?

The 3500s carry more weight, do they all have the 4.10 final drive, and have less MPG as a result?

Or are 2500s and 3500s mix and match based on how they were ordered? 

If so, how do you determine if it has a 3.73 or 4.10 final drive?  A code in the VIN?  Thanks

Another thing I see while shopping for used Chevy Express is peeling paint?

Is this a problem for certain years?  If so, is there a year model they fixed the problem and it doesn't happen anymore?

Was this also a problem with the GMC Savana, or was this just a Chevy problem?  Thanks

if you look close bad paint is common across all vehicle makes. no one is exempt. highdesertranger

Bullfrog asked about my budget.  For now I think $12000 is about the upper limit.  Installing a Fiberine high top would cost about $4000, for a combined $16000.

Anymore than this and you start approaching used Promaster 159" wb vans.  I think for a little more money you gain a lot of interior space.

Promasters seem to have a mixed reputation, some say great and others not so much ...  Still learning about Promasters.

GMC and Chevy vans have such a strong reputation for reliability and long life.

blueridge, I cannot answer such technical questions. I just bought what was available, being used. Most in the area were 2500, 4.8L. Given that I am getting 20 MPG or so on the highway, and "very" happy with that, I imagine it has the lower ratio rear end. Unless someone specifically chimes in on the 6.0L, I am guessing it will get lower MPG based on general principles. 

You might do a search on the forum on the Savanas and Chevys. I have seen people poo-poohing towing with the 4.8L, 2500, and if I were thinking of towing something "large", I'd probably consider the 6.0L. I might tow a smallish cargo trailer someday, but not for now.

I also have mixed feelings about installing a fiberglass high-top. Bob Wells has videos on this. Some people claim "they always leak after a while". Duh. More importantly, there are 3 nice metal struts that go crosswise under the roof, and I am guessing the structural integrity of the van would be seriously compromised if those were cut off in favor of something made of fiberglass. Just my personal consideration.

Also, for the $12,000 range, I am guessing you'll be getting a 5-7 YO van with 80-100,000 miles on it. You can check this using cargurus.com. I opted for a newer, more costly, low mileage vehicle mainly for reliability reasons.

EDIT: one other comment. With the 6-speed automatic, the 4.8L engine has plenty of passing power. It will downshift 2 or 3 gears and quickly crank up to 85 MPH when needed, and Stabilitrak keeps it stable. I wouldn't buy a vehicle that didn't have Stabilitrak.

I have a 2007 Express 3/4 ton regular length, standard top, with the 4.8L engine, 4-speed transmission. 270,000 miles and still going strong. I got it with 115k miles on it. The only repairs have been front suspension parts and replaced rotors. I get 16.5 MPG. The only complaint is that it could use a little more power going up mountain passes, but it's nothing I worry much about.

The white paint they use on commercial vehicles barely qualifies as paint. I've had peeling on the hood. It usually starts with little rock chips, so one of those deflector thingies they put on hoods would probably help. However, the gray base coat under the white paint is very tough. I think it's epoxy based. So the peeling/flaking is mostly a cosmetic thing, rarely a rust issue. I did a quick and dirty sanding-and-repainting on the hood. It's good enough unless you get close.

$12k for a low top is crazy. I know you want reliable but dayum youre underestimating the value of a hightop imo.

I like the Transit better too, but I'm 6'2" and the Promaster is wide enough to sleep east/west, and the Transit not so much.  

I think I'd need the Extended Transit and it's just too big for what I want.  

I'm concerned about the Promaster reliability, reports seem mixed.

GMC / Chevy seem to be consistently good.

And ... Transits and Promasters are more than I want to spend.  

In Texas, almost all of the used ones are being sold by dealers at well above what I think they are worth - within a couple thousand dollars of new.

You opposed to small class C? some of them are very compact. And theyre ready to go generally.

C class?  Probably not.  I have a GMC truck with slide in camper.  When I've lived full-time in it (off and on last 8 years) fuel has been my greatest expense.

Increasing MPG is a primary goal of my next camper vehicle.

I hear that a bunch and I have both. Vans are generally most expensive in fuel unless you plan to move constantly anyway. Because you must resupply much more often.

blueridgeAnother thing I see while shopping for used Chevy Express is peeling paint?

Is this a problem for certain years?  If so, is there a year model they fixed the problem and it doesn't happen anymore?

Was this also a problem with the GMC Savana, or was this just a Chevy problem?  Thanks
...........................................................................................................................................
sometimes they have signs or stripes etc... from the fleet van dayz. sometimes the tape rips paint off when removing tape... check for ANY recalls on ANY vehicles, then a dealer might have to fix it for you...

Back in the day I drove many different fleet full size Chevy vans delivering bundles of newspapers....All those vans were awesome! One of the mechanics told me the 2001 van was the best year (that was in about 2004). I say get an older model year chevy van with good body that maybe needs some work, would get it cheap, cheap parts & these vans are super common, get some shade tree mechanic or van dweller mechanic to work on it...good to go

It's weird when I did a search of these vans on car complaint website, the odd number years 05,07,09,11,13 had less reported issues than even numbered years. I have been pricing these, and $10k should find you what you are looking for.

I have an 06 4.8L GMC w/4.10 and 4 speed w/ overdrive, 4L80E transmission. With it loaded for travel I get 12.5 to 14 MPG city/highway.

The 4L80E trans is a stout product. In normal use in a typical Van I'd expect 150k minimum but who knows how a used vehicle was used/abused. As a Uhaul with 90K miles mine needed a rebuild or replacement when I bought it, no problem as I negotiated money from seller to pay for a Jasper rebuilt, $3500 installed.  The 4.8L is a workhorse and routine maintenance, lube, oil, filter change is standard. Chevy Vs GMC = same product.

So just my 2¢