Best way to Mount My solar Panels? Roof Rack versus 3M Tape

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyBea

Reaction score
I have a new solar system, but have not mounted my panels yet. I have a 24 foot car hauler and can either mount the panels directly to the roof or on a roof rack. does anyone have any comments or suggestions about that

First time posting. I hope I'm using the right format.  I have a 24 foot new car hauler.   I'm about to mount two five foot solar panels on the roof. I can either glue them on with the 3M tape, or bolt them on a roof rack. Putting them on with 3M tape seems the easiest,  and the roof rack would be the most complicated due to the required mounting into the rain gutter with screws into a thin aluminum frame.   Any advice would be welcome

LadyBea said:
First time posting. I hope I'm using the right format.  I have a 24 foot new car hauler.   I'm about to mount two five foot solar panels on the roof. I can either glue them on with the 3M tape, or bolt them on a roof rack. Putting them on with 3M tape seems the easiest,  and the roof rack would be the most complicated due to the required mounting into the rain gutter with screws into a thin aluminum frame.   Any advice would be welcome

2 160 watt panels mounted on 6ft 1.5''x1.5'' aluminum 'L' extrusion, then attached to factory cross bars with stainless 'U' bolts. the panels are below the level of the cross bars so can still load on roof if required.

MM

Attachments

• KIMG0303.jpg
    KIMG0303.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 25
Be careful, my first solar install was a nightmare. Keep in mind your traveling at speeds > 70 miles an hour on alot of highways - that's an incredible amount of force. My first install one of the panels blew off, slammed into and cracked the panel behind it. I was lucky I was the only person on the highway at the time. It could have been devastating to a car behind me.