Best way to make coffee while boondocking?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbaldwin

Reaction score
Just got my Dodge Caravan minivan and am getting ready to hit the road. No house batteries or solar yet but would like to make a fresh pot of coffee for my daughter and I first thing each morning. Any suggestions? Thanks I’m advance!

I'm not a coffee connoisseur, just need a strong cup of motivation in the morning. We use a stainless steel percolator style coffee pot and a single burner propane stove. I tried one of the blue enamel style percolator pots, put it over a camp fire once and it melted the solder that held the bottom of the pot on. Went to the one piece stainless style after that experience.

Thanks! I’m concerned about using propane inside the van and a tad uncomfortable firing up the camp stove in a Walmart parking lot. In my post search here, the DC solutions are older so didn’t know if anything new has hit the market.

Deleted...
suggested propane, but OP posted his aversion while I was typing.

'Never mind'---Roseann Roseannadanna

Go into Walmart and get a cup of coffee. Show support for them letting you stay. Could get breakfast and a bathroom break too.

If you are going to use electric resistance heat for coffee and no house battery, run your engine while making it.

pour-over system works great. you can google "pour over coffee" works with store bought ground coffee, or grind the beans yourself with a manual coffee bean grinder. if you're grinding beans yourself you do a "French Press",,, the best cup of coffee I've ever had, my opinion of course. yes, I'm a coffee snob.

No electric.

Single burner portable stove, my preference those little butane canister ones come with a carry case.

French press, filter or Moka style maker as you prefer3-Cups-Aluminum-moka-pot-coffee-household-moka-pot-aluminum.jpegdownload.jpeg

Attachments

• 3-Cups-Aluminum-moka-pot-coffee-household-moka-pot-aluminum.jpeg
    3-Cups-Aluminum-moka-pot-coffee-household-moka-pot-aluminum.jpeg
    49.7 KB
  • download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    27.4 KB
Ordered a RoadPro RPBH-012 12V Beverage Heater For $10.50 on sale with free shipping at Walmart.com. Reviews on amazon are mixed but I’ll let you know once I give it a go with the pour over method. If it doesn’t work, I’ll check out the butane coffee maker.

Thanks all for the quick and informative responses!

You have to get high heat somehow so pick a version you are comfortable with. Propane and butane the most common. I use either in the van at the tailgate if not raining, on a picnic table or even the ground. I use either in the house when the power goes out. Just making coffee or heating soup so not long exposure. Will open a window or take outside if concerned.

As far a pot, what do you use at home?
I use a Mika style but the stainless steel version. They work well on the above propane, butane. Put off to the side a bit so the handle does not get hot. Have timed many times, less than 8 minutes.

Problem with Mika, French press, even cowboy coffee is cleanup and grounds. For that reason we always carry some Starbucks VIA for the times needing easy cleanup. Just have to get the water hot then mix, no grounds. When Costco has on sale about $.45 a sleeve. Still cheaper than the McDonalds Senior coffee

B and C said:
Doesn't a French Press take quite a bit of water to clean?
French Press takes too much water to clean. The Italian pots, very little water to clean the little coffee grounds holder. You can wipe them out with a damp paper towel for a few days before soap & water cleaning.

I'd use a French press. As for the propane heater they make a very small grill you might find by googling it. My brother in law uses one at the beach to cook hotdogs. They restrict cooking of any type since they want to gouge people at 8 bucks for a hotdogs. But they have never caught him cooking because the thing is tiny and doesn't look like a grill.

Try an Aeropress...good coffee and easy cleanup!

A Jet Boil and the Aeropress seem to be an excellent solution. My primary concern however would be the original cost to purchase both items (>$100) as well as relatively pricey ongoing fuel and coffee filter costs. Any suggestions / comments on how to minimize these costs. Thanks much!

Backpacking stoves can commonly be found used.

I think the newer, smaller, lithium all in one battery solutions make sense for a newer van dweller. The packages are complete with charging and inverter ports as well as built in charge controllers. You can save a little bit without the built in inverter. At 150 watt hours they don't compete for capacity with a two golf cart based battery system, but will still be very useful once you upgrade.

https://www.amazon.com/SUAOKI-Portable-Generator-Flashlights-Emergency/product-reviews/B076PR4TBZ

A 50-100 watt panel could be just leaned up against this to recharge.

KathyC said:
Try an Aeropress...good coffee and easy cleanup!

X2... I don't use water to clean up with the Aeropress, just a wipe with a napkin/paper towel that'll be used more than once (there really is very little to clean as the plunger of the 'press cleans the cylinder, just wipe the end & wipe the filter holder). This or the pour over method seems to be the cleanest, easiest, most compact way to brew aside of instant coffee.

Latest posts