Best vehicle for stealth camping?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best vehicle for stealth camping?

• RV

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Full size van

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Minivan

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • SUV

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Truck with shell

• Station wagon car

• 4 door car

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters

freedomman44

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new. Mid 40's male from the Midwest, originally from California. I've seen a number of Bob's videos on Youtube. So this is an idea I've had for quite a while. Living in a vehicle, traveling around the U.S., working in cities when I need money, stealth camping, staying in free campgrounds and BLM land, etc. Right now I have around $3,000 for a vehicle. I've been looking on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. I'm looking for a vehicle that's roomy, stealthy, good on gas, and reliable. I don't want to be breaking down in the middle of nowhere miles from anything. The stealthy part is very important for when I have to stay in cities. I'm looking to buy an used vehicle. I think my best options right now are either a full size van, a minivan, a SUV, or a truck with a shell on it. I'm looking at reliable car makers like Toyota, Honda, etc. A RV I don't think would be good because it's hard to park in cities without getting noticed. A normal car might not be good since I'm 6 foot 3 it might be too small. Although I've heard of people living in Honda Priuses and Civics. What do you think? Thanks.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

I think if you're living in a vehicle full time you'd likely be miserable living in anything you can't stand up in. You're tall so how about a box truck?

Realistically in today's market $3,000 isn't going to get you a motorized vehicle that you could call reliable, especially if you can't fix it when it breaks. You might be better off learning to live simply using buses or public transport systems, backpacking and bicycling between seasonal jobs with housing until you can save much more.

Don't mean to be a downer but stealth is a dream. Anybody who wants to know you are living in you vehicle knows. You can't hide from them. Highdesertranger

I think ideally a minivan with a pop top is the most stealth and most comfortable for full timing. 3000 is possible but you have be very handy, or very lucky.

HDR is right.  Perhaps 15 to 20 years ago it may have been possible before the being a Nomad became a thing.  But the public is much more conscious of this now.

Some people who are starting out low bucks may build a "Bug Out Car" out of a vehicle that they can find with reasonable mileage at a reasonable price.  In the first link below, I've detailed a Chevy Malibu Max configured as a Bug Out Car.  You are welcome to look thru the two links as they are completely free and learn of whatever you can take away.   I've seen numerous Max in good condition with lower mileage for a price of around $3000.  Conversion wouldn't take that much to do.

If you found a used dining fly tent, you could back a car under it and make a short center pole with a larger wooden base to set on the roof to hold the top of the tent up and provide shelter from rain or sun.  If you had a membership to any of the national gym's (like Planet fitness) you would have living room away from the car.  Then it is just a matter of how you choose to eat.  Laundromats are synidicated today like the gyms too.  It wouldn't be as nice as having a more expensive Box Truck or Step Van, but it could get you started.

I bought this for 3k. When I bought it, it did need tires really bad so my initial costs quickly went up but this is livable. Insurance runs me $10 a month. Fuel mileage is still pretty lousy so if that is really important to you, being uncomfortable will be the trade off.

There are all kinds of free places to stay.

https://freecampsites.net/

I see no need to stay on the streets in a neighborhood.

arv.jpg

Attachments

• arv.jpg
    arv.jpg
    1.4 MB
I want to reiterate what others have said - there's really no such thing as stealth, especially from LEO.

What you really want is to be innocuous and non-scary. In that case, and given your price constraints, I think a mini-van is your best bet. You're not going to find a reliable truck nor van for $3000, unless someone you know is selling it to you cheap as a big favor.

Were I you, I'd stay put for a while longer, and see if I couldn't amass another few thousand. Wherever you're living now, downsize - big-time. Practice living in a tiny space, and live as if you already living in 60 sq feet.

Because $3000 just isn't enough to buy a decent used vehicle, bring it up to speed mechanically, and still have a cushion of $2000 or so when you actually start. And that $2000 cushion is rock bottom. You're tempting disaster with any less, and it doesn't sound as if you are desperate yet.

Hmmm, in the city maybe your best bet is a work van, no windows. Throw a ladder rack up there with some old beatup ladders to hide the roof vents. Splash some random "paint spills" on the rear bumper and rocker panels. A random piece of duct tape for good measure. Don't forget to clutter the dashboard with old paper and coffee cups. You'll fit right into the cityscape and will probably allow you to park in places that normal cars can't. It is hard to be stealth, but you can surely mitigate what people can assume.

Doesn't matter how much money you spend or how new the vehicle is, it will breakdown on you at some point. Better to expect these things then for it to surprise you. Make sure you have a good cushion/emergency fund before you make the dive onto the road.

I think a Prius with a shower tent and backpacking gear makes a lot of sense today. I have a class B and am feeling less and less comfortable camping out anywhere like I used to. With a Prius you get full climate control, plus enough battery capacity to do most anything you want to.

I think this guy has the right idea, and his car cost him $3,100 when he started:

I camped out in my small car before I had a camper van and it works, you just treat the car as as if it were like a tent. It is much better than a tent because the wind doesn't blow it around. Something like a Prius is easier to leave on a trailhead parking lot if you go backpacking or exploring somewhere. It is less obvious that all your valuables are inside than if you had a camper van. Stealth is also about how comfortable you feel when you are parked somewhere. If you feel like your vehicle blends in and is not obviously a camper, you are going to sleep better.

there is no hearse on the list. a hearse is something no one wants to be near....they give you that big ol' area of space to avoid it kinda.....JOKING :)

overall best van is a 'work type van' that isn't a 'predator scare van' that all moms see as suspicious and tag you on their radar the instant they see you driving slowly, rubber necking areas for possible stop for the night and ya 'seem like that person!' that is gonna get a police visit :) Nothing wrong with a logo on the side, who cares what it says, well being smart one would make it safe and blah and normal of course vs. something like 'come to the candy van' HAHA

agree with PlethoraofGuns on this one....van that looks like it is being worked by a hard working individual to make ends meet and for most people that type of vehicle blends and is forgotten very easily!! People do not notice everyday normal working vans that 'looked like' they are truly being used.

but it really depends on your final kinda choice of stealth and 'that city' issue ya know cause if you know your city and the parking issues etc. and what it takes for a commercial van to be parked with a permit and all that stuff that 'might' come into play then.....but for the most part you just have to 'fit in best' you can thru your choice of area you are wanting to visit or work or stealth.

RoamerRV428 said:
there is no hearse on the list.  a hearse is something no one wants to be near....they give you that big ol' area of space to avoid it kinda.....JOKING :) . . .

Drove a '52 Packard Hearse carrying our band gear while in high school.  That thing was a tank; like sitting on your living room couch driving.  Other drivers were so considerate.

Full-size van no doubt about it. Specifically the white CARGO vans. The reason these ones are ideal is because so many companies use these type of vans for their handyman/repair guys. What happens is the community becomes accustomed to these vans and associates them with repair guys. If you have an RV/camper etc. then people already know you can live in there so it trips people off right away.

The key is to actually add modifications for stealth to the van. You have to make your van look like a handyman van. For example, make sure to add a wall to block the view to the back. In the front driver/passenger side, don't have a bunch of junk there. Buy one of those little safety vests and hang it on the wall. You can have storage in the front but make sure it is neat and concealed in something where people can't clearly see it. You want to give the impression that you're just a local repair guy.

Also when you're stealth parking the most important key is to BLEND IN. Don't park in the wayyyyyy back of the parking lot, try to park somewhere in the middle. If you park in the back corner then it already trips people off as fishy because your average customer isn't going to park in that spot.

I have worked full-time for years in a major city, stealth camped the entire time in retail parking lots and have had minimal "door knocks" so to speak. I was working graveyard shifts for years so I had my van in the company parking lot while I worked at night. During the morning/day I would park in retail parking lots. I would rotate between 4-5 different locations that had walmart/target/lowes/home depot (big box stores). I also picked these locations because security there was minimal to none and you also had lots of other vans there parking. Blend in no problem.

The OP wants to travel around the country. A van that looks like a repair truck won't be that noticeable to the general public with out-of-state tags but will be to cops. The MO for many thieves is to drive a repair-type van right up to a house in broad daylight and empty the goodies. Pretending to be a commercial vehicle can cause lots of trouble, depending on location. Some states are very strict about this, Cali being one for sure.

"Oh, what a tangle web we weave, when first we practice to deceive."

Some of you are missing the point, Lying, hiding, deceiving only makes people more suspicious. Trying to pass yourself off as a commercial just brings on another level of scrutiny. Commercial Law Enforcement, DOT numbers, Signage, travel area restrictions all add to your problems.

Highdesertranger

I think the stealth camping is almost impossible. But some of you guys have done it for a while so I don’t doubt you. I see the only way It could really be done is if you never get out of the van in the area you’re sleeping. Then move your van to somewhere else to do whatever you need to do outside the van. even things inside the van like bathing can cause the van to shake so people know somebody’s in there. These days of security cameras even around private homes and made it even more difficult.

I also believe it is impossible to be stealth in one area for multiple days even if you move around in that area because police know what a van that’s lived in looks like. Just from my experience of traveling in a van for many years I can pick them out no matter where they are. I have upset a few who thought they were stelth by asking them how long you been living in there?

Good luck. I hope it works well for you.

When I have to spend a night in an urban area I look for a large grocery store and park in or near the area that looks like it has vehicles for the staff who spend the night stocking shelves and baking. So far it's either worked or nobody cares.

MG

skyl4rk said:
I think a Prius with a shower tent and backpacking gear makes a lot of sense today.  I have a class B and am feeling less and less comfortable camping out anywhere like I used to.  With a Prius you get full climate control, plus enough battery capacity to do most anything you want to. 

I think this guy has the right idea, and his car cost him $3,100 when he started:

I camped out in my small car before I had a camper van and it works, you just treat the car as as if it were like a tent.  It is much better than a tent because the wind doesn't blow it around.  Something like a Prius is easier to leave on a trailhead parking lot if you go backpacking or exploring somewhere. It is less obvious that all your valuables are inside than if you had a camper van.  Stealth is also about how comfortable you feel when you are parked somewhere.  If you feel like your vehicle blends in and is not obviously a camper, you are going to sleep better.

Wow, great video! That guy got quite a deal getting a Prius with just over 100K miles for $3100. Most of the used Priuses I've seen online for sale in that price range have at least 200K miles. And Priuses could be expensive to repair.

I found this website that lists a Prius as a good car to live in. And they also mention Honda Elements.

https://www.thewaywardhome.com/best-cars-to-live-in/