Best use for front receiver hitch

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfmore72

Reaction score
I have one... Reese 2inch I think.  A good spot for tools (jack and stand, wrenches, small BBQ,  heavy small stuff) I was thinking.  Just as long as I can lock it up.  If I keep it low and small enough will it affect anything? What else could I do with it?
 I was originally thinking of installing a fancy rear bumper with swing arm but don't have it in budget (time and money ).  So I was hoping to put the front hitch to good use instead (since it doesn't need to swing it will be easier). 
Any thoughts or recommendations?! 
E

I plan on carrying my generator up front at least more smaller items to fill it up..

Rob

A vertical support for full-length roof rack would yield lots of storage for bulky stuff, maybe extra spare.

MadMax vibe

I don't have one, but one of the best uses I have seen for them is parking trailers when you have to be precise.
Lots of good ideas here, some I have thought of, like getting unstuck, and others I have not thought of, like extra support for an overhead rack. (good one)
This is one of the joys of this site, as I love learning new things. :)

Great place for a vice . You can mount multiple items in a hitch reciever .

exitinn said:
Great place for a vice . You can mount multiple items in a hitch reciever .
One of the best ideas I have heard was mounting a portable winch onto a platform that plugs into either front or rear receiver. A very useful option for off roaders  in my opinion. You could use the winch on either end you needed, but could also be removed for storage and out of view from thieves.

a shallow wood box on a hitch tray that doesnt block the radiator; food, tools, etc

John61CT said:
propane tanks - no more tailgating!

You know? I have actually thought of that for the rear hitch. Give tailgaters something to think about. :D

I have front and rear hitch receivers on my Jeep and will install them on my step van as well.

As noted by other people, a front receiver is nice because:

- it makes backing trailers into tight spots a breeze
- winches can be mounted on a plate and used front or rear
- it is a good recovery point when someone else is towing you

Ballenxj said:
You know? I have actually thought of that for the rear hitch. Give tailgaters something to think about. :D
Where else? if no room underneath

I wouldn't put more than 6-10 pounders up top.

Bud Smiley said:
As noted by other people, a front receiver is nice because:

- it makes backing trailers into tight spots a breeze

My granddad had a trailer hitch mounted on front of his pickup back in the 60's because of that.   When people asked him why he had it, he'd tell them "The law says you can only go 60 mph pulling a trailer; it doesn't say how fast you can push one."

Great place to haul bicycles. And as a recovery point. Just don't load it too heavy as it will definitely start to effect steering and handling. Also makes a great holder for s vice as someone mentioned. Along with a good point to jack from with a highlift type jack.

Crow said:
My granddad had a trailer hitch mounted on front of his pickup back in the 60's because of that.   When people asked him why he had it, he'd tell them "The law says you can only go 60 mph pulling a trailer; it doesn't say how fast you can push one."

Latest posts