Best TAPE for sealing leaks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypsy108

Reaction score
I want to seal my sunroof  .   Would T-Rex tape be the best one to use ?   Thanks.

Is it an aftermarket sunroof? If it is, the best thing to do is to remove it and reseal it.

If it's factory, Well then it all depends how/why it's leaking.

Highdesertranger

It's complicated.   There are hoses that run down the pillars...the water is leaking from the pillars. I get puddles of water on the floor. It's a common problem with this car/design.  I don't want to fix it by cleaning out the areas where the debris plugs up the holes....they will just keep getting debris in sooner or later....so i just want to ELIMINATE the problem by sealing up the sunroof.   I don't know what your talking about as far as aftermarket/factory.  It's just there & i want to do this as simply as possible.  I thought by just taping the outside of the sunroof would do the trick....just wondering what others have used to seal leaks....& what Tape is best for this.   There's Flex Tape, Gorilla Tape, T-Rex Tape & others.....I've been reading mixed reviews.....

On my old VW Jetta I used RTV. I'm in Arizona, so I needed something that would hold up to intense sun and heat.

Is this RTV that you used a TAPE ?   If so , WHICH ONE EXACTLY, did you use ?

Thanks

If it were me and I was dead set on putting tape up there to seal it, I would use Eternabond tape. RVer's have been using it for years on their roof with success. It is made to stand up to weather and sun.

There is stuff for window flashing called butyl tape. It's very gooey.
Also there are a few kinds of flashing tape with an aluminum backing that may work.
I've also seen a very thick kind of duct tape which is supposed to be for leaks.
What I would reccomend is getting some silicone caulk and a caulk gun.
The price is about the same for the good tape and the caulk plus gun at Lowes or Home Depot.
Caulk will be able to reach into nooks and crannies that tape cannot.
On my old Econoline with a sun roof I did water roof tape first. Worked for about a month.
Silicone caulk did the trick and did not leak.
It also really helps if you thoroughly clean the area before applying tape or caulk.

Stay away from silicon caulk. It is a bear to remove if needed.
Butyl tape left to the elements will dry out, crack and leak unless protected by a flange or... I tried butyl tape on my back window and it lasted about a year before leaks started again. The butyl tape sealing my fantastic vent has been in place for over 20 years and still doesn't leak.
I also tried the aluminized flashing tape meant to go around doorways in houses. It did not hold up to being exposed to the elements either.
Eternabond tape has been made to withstand the weather. Use what is proven to work, not maybe's.

Yes.. I thought about doing the silicone…then taping over that too…. Yes I will clean all areas inside & out throughly before applying silicone/tape 

Thank you HDR, slow2day, B and C, and Calaverasgrande !

I think I’ll try the Eternabond …no silicone…

Thank you thank you thank you !!!!!

:heart:

Just a tip, it is easier to cut Eternabond tape with a razor knife before installing it so do your trimming before removing the clear plastic backing and don't plan on being able to adjust it after laying it on the surface you are applying it to.

Factory means it was part of the original vehicle = installed as part of the vehicle build.

Aftermarket = means it was installed by an up-fitter after the vehicle was built.

It sounds like you have a factory sun roof.

Highdesertranger

Thanks for the tip Bullfrog… I don’t care what it looks like… I’m just gonna cut the tape and put it on “as is “.  No curves.. just straight lines bata bing bata boom  :)  Of course molding it to the shape as I go along making sure it doesn’t get bubbles & stuff…
Maybe I should practice working with it first to see how it behaves…

Yeah that’s what I thought HDR… thanks !
I’m pretty  sure it’s factory made…I never cared to have a sunroof… but it just happened that I got a vehicle with one … I’m still hoping & praying I can trade it for a van …it runs great … but I need something bigger… I ordered so much stuff for this lifestyle… and it’s gonna be REALLY cramped inside… my bed is even too big … it’s gonna be a hot mess….I really need to get a van… but I have no resources other than to traded it…maybe if I just take off in this as is I will get help from HOWA for a mini van ???   We shall see ….

You can also use a scissors to cut EternaBond tape. Otherwise, with a razor knife you'll need a surface like a cutting board.

My car is black.  Would it be better to tape it with white tape as to not absorb heat ?   Maybe i should just tape the whole roof white ?   haha

Just something I've done. I've used Dicor Seal Tite corner seal. It's super flexible and then I've sprayed over it with clear flex seal. It's not a pretty fix like taking a window out and resealing but it's never leaked on me. It can be removed if need be.

a lot of scissors will gum up with the adhesive sticking to the sides of the blades as it comes into contact with them and need to be cleaned regularly or it will cause problems. Yes you need a cutting board if you use a razor knife.

Latest posts