Best mobile hotspot subscription?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncagingmyspirit

Reaction score
I will be doing call center type work. So I'm looking for a really good hotspot subscription. I do have a tower booster already... Now looking for the magical Wi-Fi hotspot that never loses connectivity. [emoji6]

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I use a Verizon JetPack mobile WiFi hotspot. Not the cheapest but I'd venture the most reliable. Been using it for almost 6 years now and am on my 3rd JetPack.
If I have a WiFi signal* it has not ever dropped it with or without the weboost.

*my data plan is unlimited and the first 15 GB of data I use is fast. After that the speed drops to 500/600 kbps, that's the unlimited part. Very slow, throttled, up and down speeds.

I've never dropped a Zoom call or been unable to text or talk. It's uploading/downloading large files that makes things stop or slow down. There have been many areas where I travel that are very good, and some areas I avoid if I need fast wifi, especially the areas with a lot of people. All you have to do is look at the signal strength on your Hotspot or phone. If it's 3 bars the Hotspot should be 3 bars, etc.

Mobile WiFi is secure as you have your own user ID and unique password for your Hotspot.

just my ol 2¢

I have been shopping around as well and my current plan of attack is to try visible for my cell phone plan” includes unlimited hotspot” and a cricket simply data plan for a dedicated hotspot. Those plans are on 2 different networks.

I'm using Nomad internet with TMobile reseller right now and the last two camp sites it didn't work, but my phone with AT&T reseller did, even with boost. It works here, just outside a major city, but marginal. I think I might switch to the Verizon plan. More expensive but better then not having service!

You might want to have a look at Consumer Cellular (https://www.consumercellular.com/). I mostly use them for the phone plan, but I've played around a little with their "tethering" option (which I think is the same thing as a hotspot?) when my AT&T service went down, and it seemed to work fine. One nice thing about them is that they don't charge you a penalty if you exceed your data allowance, they just bump you up to the next level and you can bump back down later if you don't need the extra anymore. No guesswork; very straightforward.

Not sure whether this would work for your purposes, but if so, it might be more affordable than other services. I've been very happy with them as a phone provider. The tech support has been good too.