Being grateful

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyc

Reaction score
Lately, I've been trying to practice being grateful. I now realize happiness is less about the large events which happen infrequently. Rather, I'm grateful for the many small things in life that make up happiness. Something as simple as going to the gym after a hard day's work for a long hot shower makes me happy. A nice inexpensive dinner afterwards at the food court of my favorite mall and relaxing afterwards before bedtime are things I look forward to and am grateful for.

I'm also grateful I can meet up with my longtime college buddy for dinner tonight. I have so few friends nowadays it seems. I don't take friends for granted anymore.

There was a popular book about 20 years ago called "Simple Abundance". It's core message was cutting the fat from our lives and being grateful for what we already have. She even suggested starting a gratitude journal of writing down 5 things each day that you were grateful for. It really changed me. I began to realize the treasure that my life is each day as it unfolds and not focus on all the "things" that I want or wish I had to make it full. I am already blessed and rich. Gratitude is a powerful mindset. When I get feeling sorry for myself or this and that I realize I'm not being grateful for my life as it is today. Thank you for this beautiful post.

Gigi

Yes, I had a nice time with my buddy over dinner yesterday. I appreciate his positive outlook on life despite his struggles. When he tells me about his life, it makes my own life look like a piece of cake. We both talked about how he might one day also live the RV lifestyle. Something to look forward to.