Being evicted from my aunts apartment needing help/advice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will second that. Have you ever been to WI in the winter? I wouldnt wanna live there in a real house..let alone homeless. Unless theres a good opportunity waiting...

XFILE36 said:
Just so you know, if you choose California, (even though your SSI will go up)  it is outrageously expensive to live, so you won't really be gaining anything.  Good luck with your choice.

I'm sure that's true about Southern CA.  I wonder if it's true in the northern part, and inland from the coast?  You know, the less desirable part of the state where the hoi-poloi live?

I have no idea, personally.  Wonder if there's anyone here familiar with that area?  HDR, maybe?

XFILE36 said:
Just so you know, if you choose California, (even though your SSI will go up)  it is outrageously expensive to live, so you won't really be gaining anything.  Good luck with your choice.

Yeah I know California is very expensive I was homeless there about 2001 to 2002 and even with my check I ran out of money quickly with in 2 weeks just trying to survive and get places on foot. It is why I won't be going to California, even for an extra 140ish dollars more.

OutdoorFT said:
I will second that. Have you ever been to WI in the winter? I wouldnt wanna live there in a real house..let alone homeless. Unless theres a good opportunity waiting...

I have never been there but for the past year to two years I just can't get it out of my mind.

Wisconsin is a great place, friendly polite people (although they're not big fans of us Illinois folks). LOL

Just a suggestion if you decide to go there, stay away from Madison, it's a fantastic town but everyone wants to be there, so it's big time expensive.

Dwade81 said:
The 899 is even being homeless in California, I even asked if I got an apt or a room mate or something it would still be 899 even on the streets. 

And I can't get Wisconsin off my mind for the past year and half. has nothing to do with California's rent price range.

hell there are people that get under 700.00 a month out here, i.m glad that you decided not to come out here not to be rude we would love to have you and all. but i just think that it would be a disaster for you. the cost of living is insane and once you move out here not only does everything go up it skyrockets :mad:. section 8 out here is closed off unless you know a back door in. there's people out here with mental illnesses and things like cancer that can't get affordable housing. a cheap pack of smokes wich was 5.00 is now 7.00 :mad:. everythings going up again

XFILE36 said:
899.00 a month that might get him a room somewhere in a not so nice area. for like 700.00 a month. heck iv'e seen people even renting closets in peoples homes apts

Dwade81 said:
...I found a devotional company that works and does stuff for their god, ie god the bible and such like that. If I am approved I will stay with them sleep in a room with 25 other guys and then go to classes reading and studying the bible, I will not have a cell phone, internet, computer, no tv, and no music. I won't even be allowed to have my wallet or money. I will have to take my disability check and turn it over to them for them to put into one of their accounts with my name on it for safe keeping. I can have access to my money but they have to hold on to it.

As for medications I take, they will have to hold my meds and hand them out when I need them, which is fine, I take them once every day in the mornings. Their program lasts 12 months and during that 12 months I will be studying and learning the bible and doing volunteer work daily...

Please don't. The meds, fine but sketchy, the rest? WTGDF?!? I grew up in Wisconsin, nice state. Around what area? Get your own place, you are experiencing now what happens when you're not in control of your living area. Learn a lesson! Besides, sounds like you don't do the God thing, and if you're only going to do it for free rent...grrrr. Lol. Get your own place! Learn to budget, save up some money and do what most of the rest are doing....pretend to be an adult. Yes, most of us are just pretending to be adults(sorry for speaking for "most of us", if you are not pretending to be an adult, then obviously I'm not talking about you. Get your own place! Please, for the love of Gawd! Get your own place(30% rent income is CHEAP!). You will be able to get new doctors, food help, appt ride help and be your own person. No furny? Who cares! Sleep on the floor at first in your own place! Pots pans dishes? Goodwill or thrift shop. OK, I think I'm relaxing abit, but please, stay away from that place you mentioned and get your own place. Best of luck Dwade.

one thing that just crossed my mind. ih he said he was being ( evicted ) i am wondering if the eviction will show up on his credit reports. if it does then it will be hard for him to rent for 10 years

^I agree with Wabbit. Turning your wallet and monthly earnings over to an organization sounds very, very sketchy. It just screams of taking advantage of you.

Dwade81 said:
I found a devotional company that works and does stuff for their god, ie god the bible and such like that. If I am approved I will stay with them sleep in a room with 25 other guys and then go to classes reading and studying the bible, I will not have a cell phone, internet, computer, no tv, and no music. I won't even be allowed to have my wallet or money. I will have to take my disability check and turn it over to them for them to put into one of their accounts with my name on it for safe keeping. I can have access to my money but they have to hold on to it.

As for medications I take, they will have to hold my meds and hand them out when I need them, which is fine, I take them once every day in the mornings. Their program lasts 12 months and during that 12 months I will be studying and learning the bible and doing volunteer work daily.

They have a name for most places like this....cults! Unfortunately lots of people and organizations use the name of God as a front to scam vulnerable or unsuspecting people out of money. They take your wallet, your money, control your meds, allow you no access to any outside media (aka isolation), this is how they isolate and control you as they indoctrinate you into their way of thinking from the daily "classes" and "bible study". Please don't even consider this! Legitimate religions don't demand any controls like this or attempt to dictate every aspect of a persons life.

Queen said:
Wisconsin is a great place, friendly polite people (although they're not big fans of us Illinois folks). LOL

Just a suggestion if you decide to go there, stay away from Madison, it's a fantastic town but everyone wants to be there, so it's big time expensive.

It Is funny you mentioned that, because I was actually looking at places there the other day but then started looking for places near and around oshkosh and up further west of madison.

Dgorila1 said:
They have a name for most places like this....cults! Unfortunately lots of people and organizations use the name of God as a front to scam vulnerable or unsuspecting people out of money. They take your wallet, your money, control your meds, allow you no access to any outside media (aka isolation), this is how they isolate and control you as they indoctrinate you into their way of thinking from the daily "classes" and "bible study". Please don't even consider this! Legitimate religions don't demand any controls like this or attempt to dictate every aspect of a persons life.

Oh I know all about cults, and yeah it is exactly what I was thinking when the guy was telling me all this stuff. it was just sounding fishy to me. And for a whole year of this, every day 7 days a week, it gives them enough time to really get into your head and mess you up inside mentally. But the good thing unlike most cults, You can actually leave any time you want, but I doubt you will get your stuff back or money back. I highly doubt they would. Even if they say they would, I don't think they really would.

ganto said:
hell there are people that get under 700.00 a month out here, i.m glad that you decided not to come out here not to be rude we would love to have you and all. but i just think that it would be a disaster for you. the cost of living is insane and once you move out here not only does everything go up it skyrockets :mad:. section 8 out here is closed off unless you know a back door in. there's people out here with mental illnesses and things like cancer that can't get affordable housing. a cheap pack of smokes wich was 5.00 is now 7.00 :mad:. everythings going up again

Yeah, when I was there I was around Union City and San Fran. I spent days on the beach in San Fran and just sight seeing, didn't really buy much but some food here and there and drinks *water, coffee, tea* But was still very high even back then. And back then my check was like 580ish to 600 a month and I blew through it as if it was only 3 dollars and I was buying up as much gum as I could. 

Honestly I feel bad for the people who are homeless there and have no help at all, You would think with such a big state and popular state they would have tons of public housing units and better care for people.

ganto said:
899.00 a month that might get him a room somewhere in a not so nice area. for like 700.00 a month. heck iv'e seen people even renting closets in peoples homes apts

I thought about renting a room from someone, but no car, no way to get anywhere and most are in the country and not on bus lines so I wouldn't be able to go anywhere and doubt they would allow me to stay there 24/7 never leaving and take me to get food when they go shopping.

Wabbit said:
Please don't. The meds, fine but sketchy, the rest? WTGDF?!? I grew up in Wisconsin, nice state. Around what area? Get your own place, you are experiencing now what happens when you're not in control of your living area. Learn a lesson! Besides, sounds like you don't do the God thing, and if you're only going to do it for free rent...grrrr. Lol. Get your own place! Learn to budget, save up some money and do what most of the rest are doing....pretend to be an adult. Yes, most of us are just pretending to be adults(sorry for speaking for "most of us", if you are not pretending to be an adult, then obviously I'm not talking about you. Get your own place! Please, for the love of Gawd! Get your own place(30% rent income is CHEAP!). You will be able to get new doctors, food help, appt ride help and be your own person. No furny? Who cares! Sleep on the floor at first in your own place! Pots pans dishes? Goodwill or thrift shop. OK, I think I'm relaxing abit, but please, stay away from that place you mentioned and get your own place. Best of luck Dwade.

Yeah I want to get my own place or a minivan, It took me years to find a place that was 30% with only 6 months waiting list, but I need to find a therapist that takes medicaid to diagnose my symptoms and then give the diagnosis to the landlord of that apartment complex in Wisconsin to approve me of it. That is the hard part because there is only one here in my area and her and I had a huge falling out, she won't even see me again. 

As for the place, no I won't go there. I won't go to that house of disciples place. it sounds fishy as heck to me.  As for furniture I could always find free stuff off craigslist or very cheap stuff off there.

ganto said:
one thing that just crossed my mind. ih he said he was being ( evicted ) i am wondering if the eviction will show up on his credit reports. if it does then it will be hard for him to rent for 10 years

As for the Eviction, no it won't show on my credit, because I am paying her cash rent and its off the books. She just told me I have 30 days to leave and took me off the lease and the landlord said I have 30 days then I have to vacate the primroses. Otherwise the manager of the apt would do a paper eviction after the 30 days which I don't want on my record.

Dwade81 said:
...Oh I know all about cults...

...But the good thing unlike most cults, You can actually leave any time you want...

Best of luck Dwade. I'm out.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I'm sure that's true about Southern CA.  I wonder if it's true in the northern part, and inland from the coast?  You know, the less desirable part of the state where the hoi-poloi live?

I have no idea, personally.  Wonder if there's anyone here familiar with that area?  HDR, maybe?

Parts of northern, CA can be even more expensive, like the bay area.  (He mentioned he was already homeless there in 2001-2002.)  I haven't lived everywhere, but inland areas, i.e., ghetto, is not so good crime-wise.  That's not to say all inland areas are ghetto.  Besides, they screw you everywich way on taxes in the entire state.  It's about 10 percent sales tax now and they always find other taxes like gas taxes, etc.  TAX, TAX, TAX.  I think California is the worst of all choices, just my opinion, after living there many years and lived in other states to compare.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I'm sure that's true about Southern CA.  I wonder if it's true in the northern part, and inland from the coast?

One thing to be aware of when considering inland California is the air quality problem. There's a stretch from Bakersfield to Modesto that, along with Los Angeles, has THE WORST air quality in the U.S. for several years running. 

Nearly 4 in 10 people (38.9 percent) in the United States live in counties that have unhealthful levels of either ozone or particle pollution. More than 125 million Americans live in 204 counties where they are exposed to unhealthful levels of air pollution in the form of either ozone or short-term or year-round levels of particles.

Most polluted cities:
http://www.lung.org/our-initiatives/healthy-air/sota/city-rankings/most-polluted-cities.html

Cleanest cities:
http://www.lung.org/our-initiatives/healthy-air/sota/city-rankings/cleanest-cities.html

People underestimate the harm of long-term exposure to ozone and particle pollution. As much as may be in your power, try to avoid making the same mistake. Every breath you take matters. If you have any choice in the matter, consider choosing a place with clean[er] air. Your lungs will thank you for doing so :)