Before the RTR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bethiebugs

Reaction score
I just received some money I was owed and can now start really looking at vans. It's not a whole lot of money, but I am hoping for a cargo van to create a home in. I have been hoping to be able to come to the RTR, but received the money much later than expected, and I'm not sure if I can get one AND get it at least prepared enough for the trip out there (I'm in Kansas, and it is very cold presently). If I were to find one fairly quickly, what would be IMPERATIVE to get done on it so I could come? Or do you think that is being unreasonable and trying to do this too quickly--and should just wait until next year?

Any thoughts and perspectives would be appreciated!

Took me two days, after I bought a van, to take out the seats, buy a comfy mattress, throw it in the back, go out and buy camping equipment and I was off to destinations unknown. Once you have your mobile base camp and a bed, equipment and supplies can all be bought on the road.
Spend your time finding a good vehicle at a good price. Winter is a good time to buy. Sellers realize that there are no buyers and no money due to Xmas.

And you don't even need a vehicle for the rtr. Come with what you have, car camp, live an adventure. 
Once at the rtr, your eyes will be opened with all the possibilities from seeing the plethora of vehicles that people have. And how they build them out. Come without a vehicle and you might see something that really appeals to you. Talk to people for ideas. Then go out and buy, build to your budget and preference and hopefully warmer weather.

bethiebugs said:
I just received some money I was owed and can now start really looking at vans. It's not a whole lot of money, but I am hoping for a cargo van to create a home in. I have been hoping to be able to come to the RTR, but received the money much later than expected, and I'm not sure if I can get one AND get it at least prepared enough for the trip out there (I'm in Kansas, and it is very cold presently). If I were to find one fairly quickly, what would be IMPERATIVE to get done on it so I could come? Or do you think that is being unreasonable and trying to do this too quickly--and should just wait until next year?

Any thoughts and perspectives would be appreciated!
If you happen to find a van you like and can afford buy it.  Don't worry about doing anything to it first and this is reason why...I picked up my used van one night, next morning I went to a four day van gathering.  The person hosting it told me to just throw in what I had and come.  It was a great recommendation-I got to see what I had that worked, what I needed the most and what a lot of other vanner's had in their rigs.  I bought a cheapy cot from Aldi's, one of their cheap sleeping pads, took my regular pillows, and bunch of blankets, a cheapy butane stove and some canisters, one fry pan, one coffee pot and one set of silverware, a flipper and a dipper, a plate and mug, oh and flashlights I owned.  Plus a lawnchair and something to use for a potty, use a big bucket if you need to buy something and take small plastic bags to use for disposal of human waste.  If you own a shovel, rake, hatchet, bring whatever but not necessary.  Used a cooler I borrowed also.  
The point is just throw in whatever you own and come if you do have a vehicle in time.  Seeing other people's rigs is a huge help for ideas, and most people are more than willing to help.  Come in a car if that is what you presently own. Meeting other vanners to get all their many ideas really helped me.

Would it be possible to drive far enough south, in a day, in order to get to a warmer area, so you would be fine without insulation for the first night of sleep?

And could that sleep be at a campsite with shore power, so you could possibly run an electric heater?
Or at a motel or something similar?

While you are in a warmer climate (the RTR) you might be able to add the first layers of polyiso insulation too.

Last year in december I had a crazy 30 hour work/activity period, which included driving about 500 miles (at night) towards the end of it. So for safety, I regularly made short stops, to nap for a few minutes (typically 30 minutes), and for this I just left the car and the car heater running.

This worked fine, though the outside temperature was about 23*F (-5*C).

Of cause this was in a hatchback, so the heater was easily able to keep the entire cabin warm. And I just put on a coat, sat in the front seat (could lean back to make an okay location for a 30 minute nap), and covered the window (and my self) with some fleece blankets, so it would limit the cold from the window, and so it was easier to keep my body nice and warm.

For a single night of sleep, I imagine this might also be a way to sleep in your van, on the way to and from Kansas and the RTR.  So the shore power heater might not even be needed.

Personally, I would drive down in a car, if you have one you can sleep in). and van shop here in AZ. Vehicles from the SW have little or no rust, which won’t be the case in Kansas.

Thank you everyone for your replies!!! I feel encouraged and your ideas have made me see that this is possible. I really appreciate it!

LeaveBehindTheDailyGrind said:
If the van runs good go for it. Get yourself a good sleeping bag and the lack of insulation won't bother you a bit.

Any recommendations on the sleeping bag?

A cheaper heavy one from a discount store will work at first for RTR. Temps will be in the mid to low 40's at night. Later that sleeping bag can be an extra blanket, or padding below your other sleeping option. Some things are easier down here where it doesn't freeze at night.

Get the van, put an air mattress in it, some blankets (a warm sleeping bag is better, bring both if you can) and hit the road.  Blankets, a camp stove & basic kitchen stuff can be picked up cheap from second hand stores & all over Quartzsite (the butane stoves were cheap in Quartzsite two years ago).

Then you can see what others have done & you will have ideas of what you'd like to do from the experience you've gained getting there.

Plus it's fun....

Get a head lamp too, before you go... See you there!

shadowmoss said:
A cheaper heavy one from a discount store will work at first for RTR.  Temps will be in the mid to low 40's at night.  Later that sleeping bag can be an extra blanket, or padding below your other sleeping option.  Some things are easier down here where it doesn't freeze at night.

Yay! Hooray!!!! I can't wait to get away from this AWFUL 9 degrees outside!!!!!!!

bethiebugs said:
Yay! Hooray!!!! I can't wait to get away from this AWFUL 9 degrees outside!!!!!!!

9 degrees is reason enough in my book! I'm up by the top of Florida right now & it's in the 30s, we're visiting but we'll continue west tomorrow.

I am also in Kansas and currently van/bus shopping. I was just thinking about getting a minivan to come to RTR, then decide if I want to upgrade to something bigger later. This cold weather is wearing on me!!

allofJules said:
I am also in Kansas and currently van/bus shopping.  I was just thinking about getting a minivan to come to RTR, then decide if I want to upgrade to something bigger later.  This cold weather is wearing on me!!

allofJules,
I am thinking the same thing! This weather is ridiculous. I also think that starting out smaller (minivan) seems to me like a good way to start--not so overwhelming! Plus, the gas is much better...
Hope you see you there! :)

Latest posts