Battery-operated Heater FOUND!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, so I've never read anything in the forums about a battery-operated heater. When I searched, nothing. When I asked, nope--nothing exists!

But I was just in a hardware store and it exists!

So please explain how come no one is using one? 

I'm living in way way way below freezing temps and the Mr. Heater is not going to work for me--I was aware it creates a wet heat, and of course we all know one can't sleep with that thing on. But, what I found last night that is even having it on for about 40 minutes before going to bed is that it created even colder (probably because it's wet air) temps inside the van. 

I was told by guy in local hardware store that this heater I just found (yes it can also run on propane if I need it to) creates a more dry heat when running on the battery (rechargeable 20volt lithium).

Is anyone running one of these? Tell me all your follies.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

If you wish to give me a link to that item, I can post it for you. As per the 'Tips, Tricks & Rules', a new member is not eligible to post links to anything outside the forum until they have met the requirements. I will keep my eye out for a PM with the link.

B and C said:
Nope, but got a link so we can check it out?

Hey B and C, this is the one I'm thinking of buying--I just saw it at a local store: 
Mod Note: Link removed

Not B & C but I grabbed the link anyways. 

From the details of the heater:

Plug any of the dewalt 20V max or flexvolt batteries into the heater and hook up the propane tanks. (bold is mine)

The fan runs off of the batteries, the heat comes from propane!

Also it should be noted that one will have to have source of power to recharge the batteries, probably at least 2 of them a dayto have heat for part of the night. Price is high ($200.00 range) plus the battery packs.

I googled battery operated heaters and true battery operated heaters just don't exist. Creating heat with electricity is not power effective. Anything that can run on small batteries isn't going to put out much heat nor for very long.

I remember having a 12V fan that ran on batteries - took 6 or 8 D cells and you got maybe 4 or 5 hours of them and that was just running the fan.

There is no shortcut!

I'll have to look into this heater, I just picked up the Dewalt 5 pc 20V power tool kit from Lowes with the following;
-6.5" circular saw
-reciprocating saw
-impact drill
-1/2" drill
-powerful flashlight/worklight
-1 charger
-2 2AH batteries
-canvas carrying bag

Dewalt makes a 4AH, and a 6AH battery for longer use, and life.

that is not an electric heater. it's a propane heater with a fan. it will have the same water vapor problem as any other non-vented propane heater. highdesertranger

It is a radiant propane heater with a fan. It also has usb ports for charging small electronics.

Using electricity to heat a van is a fool's errand unless plugged into the power grid or you have a large solar generating station with a huge battery bank to run it.

ckelly78z said:
I'll have to look into this heater, I just picked up the Dewalt 5 pc 20V power tool kit from Lowes with the following;
-6.5" circular saw
-reciprocating saw
-impact drill
-1/2" drill
-powerful flashlight/worklight
-1 charger
-2 2AH batteries
-canvas carrying bag

Dewalt makes a 4AH, and a 6AH battery for longer use, and life.

Ya if you're already rocking the brand--do it haha. Well, and then let me know your thoughts :)
They also make a 5AH.

Almost There said:
Not B & C but I grabbed the link anyways. 

From the details of the heater:

Plug any of the dewalt 20V max or flexvolt batteries into the heater and hook up the propane tanks. (bold is mine)

The fan runs off of the batteries, the heat comes from propane!

Also it should be noted that one will have to have source of power to recharge the batteries, probably at least 2 of them a dayto have heat for part of the night. Price is high ($200.00 range) plus the battery packs.

I googled battery operated heaters and true battery operated heaters just don't exist. Creating heat with electricity is not power effective. Anything that can run on small batteries isn't going to put out much heat nor for very long.

I remember having a 12V fan that ran on batteries - took 6 or 8 D cells and you got maybe 4 or 5 hours of them and that was just running the fan.

There is no shortcut!

AWWWWW bummer. The guy told me that the heat, if only using the battery, was a dry heat. I didn't know you HAD to have the propane in there as well. :(

Well that answered my question that they guy at the store couldn't. Thanks everyone! Looks like it's back to -20 degrees for me!

AWWWWW bummer. The guy told me that the heat, if only using the battery, was a dry heat. I didn't know you HAD to have the propane in there as well. :(

The "guy" did not know his product.  Just read some highlights off the box.

BTW.  Welcome.  Forgot that part :p

I may perhaps be mistaken, but it looks to me like this unit requires both batteries _and_ propane in order to function. There's just not that much energy in a battery-- laws of physics, and all that. Quote from the Amazon description...

"Plug any of the dewalt 20V max or flexvolt batteries into the heater and hook up the propane tanks."

Note that it says "and". Not "or".

Edit-- Oops! Someone else posted essentially this same info while I was typing. Can a moderator please delete this post? I can't seem to find a button for that...

There ARE 12 volt heaters. The problem is two fold. First is the bigger at 300 watts is not enough heat to warm up a van. I have a 250 watt heater that to really feel I have to put it under my legs and cover them with a towel, trapping the heat.

Second is 300 watts is 25 amps a hour at 12 volts. To run that for 8 hours is 200 Ah or more of USABLE battery capacity or really 4 6 volt batteries. Then you have to get them charged back up the next day and in the winter that is a bigger system than you think. That says nothing for the 16 hours that you are not running it.

Last thing is the weather sucks, so get a little generator to back it all up.

There are 12v heaters that are sold in truck stops. Not enough heat for a whole van.
There's also vests (and pants and gloves) that are used for motorcycle riding in winter. Most run off the bike but they do sell ones that are battery powered. You might get 6 hours with just a vest and you would need a way to charge the battery to use again.
As mentioned above, it's not really practical to use electric for heating.
If you used an electric household heater with a generator that would give you dry heat for as long as the generator is running.

But, what I found last night that is even having it on for about 40 minutes before going to bed is that it created even colder (probably because it's wet air) temps inside the van.

I suspect a measurement issue.  A Buddy on low would have emitted about 2600btu on low or 6000btu on high in that timeframe.  The heat had to go somewhere, and normal thermometers aren't affected by humidity.