Baby step to camping. Advice for which tent.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ORANGE

Reaction score
I havent been here in 8 months.   Now Im  finally ready to babystep  forward!

I need to get a tent, preferably 2 person.  Im in NE Tennessee now so plenty of places to camp.  12 bucks for super nice campground to get used to being outside all day, and sleeping outside. Nearest city 10 minutes away.  EZPZ, You see, babystepping.  Not working over my passenger van yet.  Not going far from my apt only 44 minutes away.

Salient point is that I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.  So low energy and low strength.  I need a tent that will not be too hard to manage putting up, but also will not fail, becuse of the low energy/strength.   I dont want to invest in making the van a liveable sleepable place yet.   I need to progress step by step up to that point.   I will even have a friend the first few times of going camping.  To then progress to doing it alone.  Then more than 1 night.  Then of course to see how far I can go with travel, living out of my van.

I wont be in serious weather(I wouldnt go....babystepping you know)  I cant find any video from Bob doing any reviews of tents.  And there are so very many online and I have ZERO experience camping.

I want to hurry and order so I can make the best use of the weather before nights are too cold.  At least then Ill be able to make plans in the spring for the van, or drop the whole idea of  that, but keep being a camper for nature therapy : )

Thank you for your links  and advice!

Ha ha I couldnt wait!

I bought a Coleman Sundome 4 person tent on Amazon for 53 bucks. That is cheap to get me started. I wanted to get out there!

I found the Springbar tent video by Bob so that is 600 and I guess a Kodiak is around 600 too. Both worth it if they last for many years right?

Other than that I hope you folks can advise.

Both the Kodiak and the Springbar weigh around 50 pounds and are hard for one person to set up. They will last for years and hold up in all kinds of weather but I think you are better off with the Coleman tent that you bought. It will be great for the baby steps you are planning on taking. Have fun! Come back after your trip and tell us how it went!

ORANGE said:
I bought a Coleman Sundome 4 person tent on Amazon for 53 bucks. That is cheap to get me started. I wanted to get out there!

Other than that I hope you folks can advise.

I think he made a great on your tent. That's exactly the same tent I used for almost 6 months. It saw sleet in the Rockies and dust storms in the desert of Nevada. It stood up really well. The Coleman is designed to handle probably 35 mile per hour to 40 mile per hour winds. The only reason I still don't have it is I took it into an area of Nevada that daily there are gusts of wind that get up to 50 miles an hour. It did okay for a few days but finally the wind was Victorious. One thing that will happen in high winds is the tent has a tendency to lay down. It takes a pretty strong wind for it to do that and I kind of doubt you'll see that high of a wind in Tennessee.

You picked a great tent it's more than good enough to get you started with your baby steps.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Years ago when I was tenting, I really liked my Eureka Timberline 4. Typical classic green 'boy scout' style tent.

They are mid priced, and super easy to set up, even easier than most dome tents. Plenty of room for one person and their gear.

Plus, the rectangular floor shape, rather than a square or circular shape, is easy to arrange with an air mattress or cot, and it seals up for cooler weather. Most cheaper summer style dome tents have screened openings at the top for ventilation that cant be zipped closed. 

https://eurekacamping.johnsonoutdoors.com/tents/backpacking/timberline®-4-person-tent

Thank you so much geogentry. I took a guess and you settled my thoughts about it that you did fine with the Coleman until the wind got worse.

Now these Eureka tents I never heard of in researching. The Copper Canyon one almost made me want to cancel my amazon order of the Coleman because the idea of being able to stand up! But even at 160, that is still 3 times the price of the Coleman which should be just fine.

But I thank you rvwandering, cuz I didnt think about 50 lbs! Whereas the Coleman is light and if I want to get bigger better to stand up in the Copper Canyon looks like a winner at 18 lbs. And the reviews say one person can set it up.

I will definately come back to post here after I camped my first time!

Thanks

I have a Kodiak 9x8. It's had 4 inches of snow on it twice and has been thru some severe winds and the tent is a beast. I spent the extra dollars because I know it'll be the last tent I ever buy.

@orange

The Coleman is a good starter tent for you. I agree with the others that there are better tents out there. BUT baby steps. This will give you an idea of what you like, what you would rather have, what you need to be comfortable, without breaking the bank.

Lots of knowledge on this forum. Don't be afraid to ask if you have a question. There really are not any dumb questions. Someone will probably know the answer.

to help with the wind, never use straight rope or cord for the guy lines. always put a bungee in line on every guy line. you need a bungee that will give with the wind. you don't want the bungee stretched to its max but you also don't want one so stiff that it doesn't stretch. you kinda have to experiment with getting the right bungee. this greatly relives the stress on the tent. highdesertranger

I also recommend highly the Eureka Copper Canyon tent. Had a 6 man tent with a queen sized bed. It was the last tent we used before vandwelling. It killed me to donate it. That tent went through some Hellacious Monsoon storms. And a golfball hailstorm. The huge picture windows and awesome ventilation made it perfect.

Happy camping!
Ted

Orange, 

A tent may be a good baby step for you but I am going to suggest you consider something even easier. If you have a van, you may be able to pull a teardrop trailer. The advantage is that you don't even have to take time or energy to set it up. You just hook it up and go. If you can't back a trailer, just make sure you plan where you are going so you can avoid that. lol

Another alternative to the teardrop trailer would be a very small cargo trailer. The advantage to the empty cargo trailer is you may get one tall enough to stand up. You wouldn't have to do anything permanent in it and when you were done, you probably could sell it for what you paid for it. 

Just something to consider. 

Safe and Happy Travels!

I have been using a coleman flatwoods ii tent for about 4 years now, has held up amazingly, even with some monster wind/thunderstorms. I like the “tray” floor, never have leaks. The four person is actually roomy enough for a twin mattress and extra floor space, but you can’t stand up. The six person takes a queen mattress with plenty of surrounding room and you can stand up. Depending on where you search, you can buy fairly cheaply. I think I paid $54 buck at target for my 6 person one when they were having a sale. Once you know how it goes together you can put up in under 5 minutes.
Happy camping!

Thanks folks!

I do live in an apartment, so cant have a teardrop or any such thing.

I WILL get the Copper Canyon next Spring, if I lasted that long. Next year I see as not full time but part time living, like maybe a couple nights a week for 3 seasons. Maybe expanding the time of not packing up camp (cuz I wont need to cook, fast food/restaurants just 15 minutes down the road, ha. But to then see what I need to not move for days. Then I ought to know better full time? Seasonal travel across country?

Yesterday my van needed a brake line. The mechanic said it would be 1200 and even at that he wouldnt touch it. Said it would be 2 days labor to replace that one line with the pump etc. Said try Ford dealership see if they could do any better.

After getting the surgical second opnion monday, I will likely sell if for dirt cheap. And be on my way for another vehicle. Not sure what I want to buy. I do have the money for 5-6k purchase. But at some point you know the time has come to euthanize the vehicle you own.

It couldnt come at a worse time as far as light camping vs nomad babystep. Because I cant know myself yet I dont know what type of vehicle to get!!! My gut says go for the cheapes gas with a car. If I wanted bigger van, or large car, I should be able to recoup much of the money spent.

Eh, its always something.

Back in my younger days as a backpacker, I didn't use a tent for most of the year. I lived in Pennsylvania, which is very very rocky, and most times it was really difficult to find a clear spot that was big enough for a tent. So instead I carried a hammock, which provided a comfy camping spot any place where there were two trees. The downside was that a hammock loses a lot of heat, so in winter when the snow covered all the rocks, I used a tent instead.

1200 bucks for a brake line? WTF. you need a new mechanic. is it rotted from salt? highdesertranger

HDR is right, it shouldn't cost more than $400 to $500 to get that brake line fixed.

if I were doing it for myself it wouldn't even be 30 bucks. but I have the tool to make the lines from raw material which I am sure the mechanic has. highdesertranger

ORANGE said:
Salient point is that I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.  So low energy and low strength.
sorry to hear about the mechanical problems with the brakes. sometimes a big repair like that is an omen of more disasters to come. moving on to another rig may be a wise choice. though a second opinion from another shop might be worth it. i do suspect your mechanics estimate is realistic. not knowing exactly what the estimate was for, it is hard for anyone to say if the price was high or low. you also mention a pump and etc... if there is a problem with the lines going to the ABS system some of those pre bent/formed lines are not something that can be made up by the mechanic and can take an insane amount of time to remove enough stuff to get the line out. it is a sign of an honest mechanic when they tell you they really dont want to do it and suggest you try another shop that is better equipped. if it was a dishonest shop trying to rip you off they would have tried to talk you into doing the work their with them. pay no mind to the back yard mechanic that says they could do it for a few bucks. chances are they have no idea what needs to be done. how could they, they have not even seen the problem

thinking about a new rig based on your difficulties you have shared with the fatigue and lack of stregth. do you also have like flexability issues, do you have problems getting up and down, crawling or other mobility constraints?

like many have posted, the tent you grabbed i think is a wise choice. cheap simple and a great starter. if you have not already, i would set it up, in your living room (if you have the space, i know you said you were in a small apt) if not go to a local park on a calm good weather day and just set the tent up. see how much effort it takes and how long it takes you. think about how heavy it is. then rest up. lay down inside and think about how you would set it up to camp. and how much time and energy you would spend moving your bedding in, a cot or anything else to make it livable or campable. then when you are rested up. take it down and pack it away. then maybe even set it up again, if the process has not fatigued you too much. the second time will go easier. i would do this with the tent before you buy another rig. you want to find out if setting up a camp with a tent is something that is realistic with your limitations. you may find that you would do better by sacrificing some durability in the tent to get a lighter one that is easier to set up. many of the high quality with stand the strom type tent that will last for years weigh a lot and take some effort to set up

if you are mobile and dont have problems getting up and down, crawling in and out of spaces and this tent is manageable with out wearing you out. then you have lots of options for a replacement vehicle. but if you are mobility restricted, you may want to consider a vehicle more like a minivan or full size van that is easier to get in and out of and easier to pack your camp supplies into. sliding a large tent in and out of the side or back door of a minivan is much easier than lifting it in and out of the trunk of a car.  if you find the effort to set up your tent and take it down to be draining, especially after driving to your camp. you may find having the larger minivan or full size fan that you can sleep in may be the ticket. the minivans usually have seat that come out pretty easy they are heavy so you might need help getting them out. but then you have room right on the floor to sleep if you are not feeling well enough to set up a tent at the end of a day when you get to camp

i hope this fork in the road with the brake problem ends up taking you down a better path. i do think you can find a system to get out and enjoy nature without taxing yourself too much

good luck and keep us posted

I just got back from the mechanic (they had van overnite).

What kind advice Gypsy Freedom. No mobility/fliexibility issues whatsoever.

So I had to have 4 lines, the ones I had done last year where only 2 lines and they are in great shape. He said mumbo gumbo to me about where the lines went and hooked up to, so I nodded and smiled. Total 129. Whew!!! It is still a keeper!!

So the back seat has been out. Only the second back seat has been pushed forward and closed up. I could later shoudl I progress have that taken out. It is a full 6 ft to lay down in the back with the trunk closed right now.

Today I got an unusual camping air mattress from Aldi , it is like two twins that you can seperate as twins, or attach together as a double or stack as a bouncy house bedd ha! Cheap and that will give me an idea of camping with friend, and then without.

So yeah, the tent is here tomorrow. So I will do just that. I have a membership to this park https://www.bristoltn.org/166/Steele-Creek-Park

Isnt it cute? $1 train ride and all. Never said nothing about no tents. So I will try and try again setting up and taking down. Next time I go if I wasnt admonished I will set up and blow up one of the twin air and have a lay down.

Baby stepping!