Baby step to camping. Advice for which tent.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"if there is a problem with the lines going to the ABS system some of those pre bent/formed lines are not something that can be made up by the mechanic"

I just want to point out that this is not true. making and bending brake lines is not hard at all. quality tools sets to flare and bend the lines can be had for about a hundred bucks. dirt cheap Chinese ones can be had for next to nothing. any mechanic worth his/hers salt has these tools. now if they don't want to do it is a different story.

highdesertranger

yay! glad you got the van fixed and it wasn't so bad.

most parks dont care if you set up a tent for the day. i have only had a couple times where someone came and told me i couldnt camp. when i told them i was just trying it out and was not looking to camp they were fine. hope that is the case there for you as well.

i bet the Splash Pad is a popular spot in the park on a hot day!

looking forward to hear how the tent works out. i can see the possibilities it brings, yet by having room in the van to lay down. if you are to fatigued when you get to camp to set up the tent you can spend the night in the van and set up the next day. nice to have a back up

great news, congrats.

this is for everybody here. if you are unsure about a quote from a mechanic, ask here on the forum first. at the very least we can shed some light on the subject.

highdesertranger

"you may find that you would do better by sacrificing some durability in the tent to get a lighter one that is easier to set up."

I really don't know where Orange would find a tent that's lighter in weight that has the same durability. The Coleman SunDome four-person tent only weighs about 10 and 1/2 pounds.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

geogent, my comment was in regards to some of the other suggestions that had been made for heavier more rugged tents. and just the general idea that lighter can be better even if it doesnt last as long. going with a heavy long lasting tent that sit at home cause it is too heavy might not be much of an upgrade...lol

@Gypsy Freedom

Ahhh. The way it was phrased led me to understand that if Orange had difficulty setting up the Snowdome a lighter tent should be sought out and obtained.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

ORANGE said:
So I had to have 4 lines, the ones I had done last year where only 2 lines and they are in great shape.  He said mumbo gumbo to me about where the lines went and hooked up to, so I nodded and smiled.  Total  129.  Whew!!!  It is still a keeper!!
glad you dodged a bullet on that one. brake lines can be spendy though...i just
had to spend $900 on replacing both sides on my 99 subaru outback! all but $100
was labor...had to go under the back seat and lower the gas tank. i'm sure you get
what you pay for in regards to tents (and most things) but i had an old Coleman that
lasted close to 10 years. good luck in your travels!