AZ Land

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spoke with a realtor yesterday that is selling the acreage I was interested in and she said I could NOT live in a van or RV on this lot, as far as she knew. She said she would check into it further for me. If this is the case, I will not purchase the property.
Thanks everyone for all your responses.

The interesting question is:  If it's legal to live on the land in a van NOW, will that usage be "grandfathered" in for you if the laws change down the line?

I mean, any kind of permanent building or improvement like drilling a well or putting in a septic system would be grandfathered in if the legal requirements change.  I'm not sure that that would apply to living in a van or rv.

Regards
John

blars said:
Don't forget to ask about water, mineral, and grazing rights.  Do you want a herd of cattle wandering through your yard?  (Yes, I've seen it in AZ.)

I have lived in Arizona for almost 40 years now. You will never get mineral, or grazing rights. For minerals you need to file a claim, grazing rights are bought by ranchers, water is drilled for, if you live by a river it does not give you the rights to tap into the water source. To keep out the cattle in an open range you put up a fence, but the fence will not stop the other wildlife.

More than likely you saw land for sale in Doland Springs, in the early 1980's the parcels were going for $500 an acre, there are many places in every county that have no restrictions, but as stated in another post, visit the property before you buy.

Look for land that is designated as a CAMP, maybe? Or that can maybe be turned into a nature preserve and still lived on? When you get that kind of status it means something legally. And can't be considered residential. It's a long shot but have not seen that talked about much. For people who already own land and are stuck.

OK, according to the Mohave County zoning directors office it can be done but I would have to get a special use permit and renew it every year. I'm afraid if someone complains I may not be able to renew the permit. Then I would have land that is useless to me. I think this is too many hoops to jump through, so I have decided to pass. Maybe staying on BLM land is a more practical choice.

VanCamper said:
OK, according to the Mohave County zoning directors office it can be done but I would have to get a special use permit and renew it every year. I'm afraid if someone complains I may not be able to renew the permit. Then I would have land that is useless to me. I think this is too many hoops to jump through, so I have decided to pass. Maybe staying on BLM land is a more practical choice.

Does it have any restrictions? In Coconino county which is right next to Mohave you can get a permit to camp in an RV on your land for 3 months. But you can only get 1 a year. If you got adjacent lots you could move back and forth and stay legal. But I think they are $50 for 3 months so it would cost you $200 to stay on your four lots for the year. It would be cheaper to go down to the desert and stay on an LTVA in the winter and then disperse camp in the National Forest n the summer. It would also have much better weather.

The bottom line is as long as we can diseprse camp being a snowbird is better in every way.
Bob

The link Snow Gypsy included in her post is directly from the zoning ordinance pdf they emailed me. They did not mention camping on the property, but I am going to check. The property is zoned A-R. I'd like to find out what Cyndy's friends property is zoned.

As far as I know, and I'm 99.9% sure, they are all zoned residential.

http://resources.mohavecounty.us/File/PlanningAndZoning/Zoning Ordinance/Section 27.N.pdf

Section 27.N ESTABLISHMENT OF TRAVEL TRAILERS - GENERAL PROVISIONS
N. Establishment of Travel Trailers.
1. General:
a. Travel trailers shall be permitted as a single family dwelling (permanent
residence) in a R-TT (Single Family Residential/Manufactured Homes and
Travel Trailers Permitted) zone in RV parks and in portions of manufactured
home parks approved for recreational vehicles. Travel trailers are not permitted
as permanent residences in any other zone or under any other circumstances.

b. Travel trailers are permitted as temporary residences for one (1) year in
conjunction with the construction of a permanent residence or commercial
structure (as evidenced by obtaining a Zoning Permit) in any zone. Six (6)
month extensions of time may be granted by the Planning and Zoning
Commission by showing good cause.

c. Travel trailers are permitted as temporary residences for one (1) year (renewable
annually) in A-R (Agricultural- Residential) or R-E (Residential Recreation)
zones.

d. Travel trailers may be located or stored on a lot or parcel where the principle
residence (not to include a garage or storage shed) is established, with all
utilities disconnected. A travel trailer stored on a lot shall not be used for living,
sleeping or housekeeping purposes.

e. Notwithstanding any other provision in this ordinance, travel trailers allowed as
secondary residences shall be approved by the Board of Supervisors in one-year
increments following a recommendation from the Planning and Zoning
Commission.

f. Travel trailers shall not be used as storage sheds.

g. It shall be the responsibility of the property owner to renew a temporary permit.

2. All permitted travel trailers shall meet the following requirements:

a. A temporary Zoning (Building) Permit shall be obtained prior to locating the
travel trailer on the lot or parcel.

b. Travel trailers permitted as temporary or permanent residences shall be equipped
with kitchen and bathroom facilities.

c.
Travel trailers permitted as temporary or permanent residences shall be hooked
up to a sewage disposal system approved by the County Health Department or
Arizona Health Services.

- 102 -
Section 27.N ESTABLISHMENT OF TRAVEL TRAILERS (continued)
d. No attached structural additions are allowed or permitted.

e. Travel trailers permitted as temporary residences shall remain roadworthy.
If a travel trailer does not meet the above uses or requirements, the travel trailer
shall be considered in violation of the Mohave County Zoning Regulations and
is subject to removal.
 - 103 -

http://resources.mohavecounty.us/fi...Enforcement/Temp Travel Trailer Checklist.pdf

Permit Application Prerequisites:
o Tax Parcel Number / Property Address
o Appropriate Zoning / Zoning Use Permit
o Septic Approval / Sewer Acceptance Letter
o Parcel Grading Permit (when applicable)
o Flood Control Permit (when applicable)

Permit Application Submittal Package:
o Completed Permit Application  
 (Make, Year and VIN # of unit required) 
o One Plot Plan per Standard Instructions 
o Appropriate Fee as adopted by the Board of Supervisors 

When the applicant is different than the owner of record on file at the County Assessor’s, proof of ownership or a notarized letter from the owner authorizing the application

http://legacy.co.mohave.az.us/depts/pnz/forms/Mohave_County_Zoning_Ordinance.pdf

New Mohave County zoning ordinance restricts trade of older manufactured homes

KINGMAN — Manufactured homes older than seven years won’t be allowed to be sold and moved from one property to another under a new Mohave County zoning ordinance that takes effect Dec. 2. (2015)

The current age limitation is for homes manufactured June 15, 1976, or later and the unit must display a HUD label.

Christine Ballard, manager of Mohave County’s Planning and Zoning Division, said she understands how the change concerns sellers and installers of manufactured homes.

JUST FOUND THIS

AN ORDINANCE OF MORAVE COUNTY, ARIZONA REGULATING CAMPING ON ~ PUBLIC AND PRIVATE PROPERTY

OFFICIAL RECORDS OF MOHAVE COUNTY 
JOAN MC CALL, MOHAVE COUNTY RECORDER 
12/09/1999 03:15P PAGE 1 OF 2 
~. ~~ COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS 
MOHA VE COUNTY ORDINANCE NO. . ING FEE 0.00 
. 99-07 ~ \iOH;lVr 
AN ORDINANCE OF MORAVE COUNTY, ARIZONA REGULATING CAMPING ON ~ 
PUBLIC AND PRIVATE PROPERTY LOCATED WITHIN THE BOUNDARIES OF ~:"'i~~; 
MOHA VE COUNTY AND OUTSIDE OF THE INCORPORATED AREAS IN MOHA V ~,,'{!l ~~,:.t, 
. ""-" :'\':' 
COUNTY. '. .' Ii"''\-; . 
\VHEREAS, the Board of Supervisors ofMohave County, Arizona (the "Board") has 
determined that uncontrolled and unregulated camping on public and private property has created 
certain health hazards and has contributed to unsightly and unsanitary conditions throughout the 
County; and 
WHEREAS, the Board has further determined that it would be in the public interest of 
the residents of the County for the Board to regulate camping on public and private property to 
control and mitigate damage to the public health, environment and aesthetics of the area; and 
WHEREAS, the Board has statutory authority under Arizona Revised Statutes (A.R.S.) 
~~ 11-251.05 and 11-251(17), (30), and (31) to adopt an Ordinance regulating camping on public 
and private property located within the boundaries ofMohave County and outside of the 
incorporated areas in Mohave County; 
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the Board of Supervisors ofMohave County, 
Arizona, hereby adopts this Ordinance regulating camping on public and private property located 
within the boundaries of Mohave County and outside of the incorporated areas in Mohave 
Co Llnty; 
Section I. Definitions 
~plng" and "to camp':. "Camping" and "to camp" for the purpose of this Ordinance 
is defined as a use of an area outdoors for living accommodations and shall include, but not 
necessarily be limited to, the erection of a tent or other such shelter, laying down bedding 
material for the purpose of, or in such a way as to permit it to be used as, a living 
accommodation, the mooring of a houseboat or other living accommodation on public waters, 
and the parking of a trailer, camper or other vehicle as a living accommodation. "Camping" and 
"to camp" for the purpose of this Ordinance shall not include such activities taking place in 
designated commercial or public campgrounds or on private property by or with the pemiission 
of the owners of the private property so long as the activity complies with County zoning 
regulations and other applicable ordinances. 
Section II. 
lt shall be unlawful for a person to camp on a particular piece of public or private 
property located within the boundaries of Mohave County and outside of the incorporated areas 
in Mohave County or on any property within 20 miles thereof that also is within the boundaries 
of Mohave County and ,outside of the incorporated areas in Mohave County for a period in 
excess of fourteen (14) consecutive days. 

highdesertranger said:
my advice to anybody looking to buy is to go to the area and check it out.  spend some time there and talk to the locals.  then if you like the area talk to a realtor tell them exactly what you want to do with the property,  see what they say.  then go to the county and ask them.  do all of this before you put a dime down on anything.   highdesertranger

+1

Just with regard to the ordinance posted above, that does not pertain to land you own, or private land you have permission to camp on.  It's the last part of the paragraph that's important - it's not stated what the "County zoning regulations and other applicable ordinances" may be in regard to property you're considering. This ordinance basically just stipulates you can't park anywhere without permission for more than 14 days, and it kind of implies you can't camp in one spot on public land for more than 14 days.

" "Camping" and "to camp" for the purpose of this Ordinance shall not include such activities taking place in
designated commercial or public campgrounds or on private property by or with the permission
of the owners of the private property so long as the activity complies with County zoning
regulations and other applicable ordinances. "

I had 4 acres of unincorporated property in Cochise county, not that it would be the same, but I believe the stipulation was no vehicle could be parked on your property more than 6 months unless a permanent dwelling was being constructed.  The zoning did allow for one "storage unit" of any size, and I always mulled over the idea of putting up a metal garage.

VJG1977 said:
http://resources.mohavecounty.us/File/PlanningAndZoning/Zoning Ordinance/Section 27.N.pdf

Section 27.N ESTABLISHMENT OF TRAVEL TRAILERS - GENERAL PROVISIONS
N. Establishment of Travel Trailers.

c.
Travel trailers permitted as temporary or permanent residences shall be hooked
up to a sewage disposal system approved by the County Health Department or
Arizona Health Services.
This is the key to the whole thing. Whatever you live in has to have full plumbing and be hooked up to a sceptic system. That eliminates us from buying land and camping on it in our van or RV. 
Bob

Not to be nitpicky, but in the definitions, "For the purpose of this Ordinance, a traveltrailer shall mean a vacation or camping trailer, towed by another vehicle designed as temporary living quarters which does not meet the defined requirements of a mobile/manufactured home (see Mobile and Manufactured Home)"  So a motor vehicle doesn't technically fall under the travel trailer requirements.  I don't know how that would stand up in court.  Entertaining myself further with the 281 page Mojave County Ordinances, I notice junkyards are  a permitted use of general land ... :dodgy:

You have to ask yourself. Do you want to be taken to court for a citation. If you already own the land maybe it's worth court costs to fight it.

And do you want to spend time being stealth on your own land. Build a storage shed. Shut the door after you drive in. Say you are not living in it. Gamble some neighbor with a telephoto lenses is not going to spy on you to confirm you are living there. Or some over zealous county zoning commissioner.

Where I was in Cochise County, half way between Bisbee and Tombstone, I have to say everyone was pretty cool. We were all in the same boat basically, slooowly building our little off-grid getaways, on a dirt road off 80 where no one would drive unless they had a reason to be there, but still within 8 miles from town. One guy was finished with his straw bale and would let everyone else use his wifi for free. It was a nice little enclave, no nimby-ism at all and i don't think local inspectors ever came to bother anyone unless they were invited out to sign off on some building permit. Location, location, location! ... maybe part of the trick is to choose a place where there are no castle-owner wannabes. There was no power out where I was, so people with more ordinary middle class dreams weren't at all interested in moving into the "neighborhood". Eta: another option is to pick a property that's already got a dwelling on it. It can be a true POS unliveable mess, but as long as there's a house and a septic tank, the rules are usually much more lenient.

I've always been intrigued with having a piece of AZ land to bug out to. From all of this it seems Mojave county is definitely not the place! I think it's pretty clear that they just don't want us there. There are plenty of other places that have a more favorable political climate so there is no reason I see to beat one's head against a brick wall.

I'm afraid I don't understand the attraction of land in southern Az.Why buy something that's only inhabitable a few months out of the year?

If you're mobile, it's a cheap sunny place to get out of the cold.  If you're not mobile, it's still a cheap sunny place to get out of the cold.

Latest posts