Atlases & Maps: DeLorme vs. Benchmark

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrinningPanther

Reaction score
Hi everyone... I just posed a similar question to Bob in his blog comment section, but I'm interested in everybody else's opinion on this, too.

Does anyone have experience using both DeLorme and Benchmark atlases for any of the following states--NM, AZ, CO, UT? And, if so, what are your impressions of how they compare? Which did you like better, and why?

I'm especially interested in how each might be better or worse for boondocking on BLM land and in state parks and national forests.

Or, if you use different maps, and consider them better than DeLorme or Benchmark, tell me about that, too.

Thanks,
GP

Oh... Follow-up thought: Some at Amazon.com have commented on the latest DeLorme Arizona atlas that it isn't as good as previous versions...so if you express an opinion on an atlas it would help if you specify which year your atlas was published.

Thanks,
GP

I actually prefer the Benchmark and own both for the states I spend a lot of time in. I think the Benchmark is a far better Atlas and I only bought the Delorme because they were cheaper. As a road map the Benchmark is far superior, much easier to read.

The problem is they both keep changing. I have an older Delorme Arizona Atlas that has all land ownership (BLM NF, State) in different colors so you know instantly who owns it. But now that don’t do that anymore. Most Benchmarks don’t show land ownership, but i do have an edition of the Arizona that does. I can’t keep up with what you will get if you order a new one today.

If they cost the same, I’d buy the Benchmark, but if I can afford it, I’d have both for the states I send a lot of time in. I have both for Arizona, Colorado and Utah.

Heres is the Delorme AZ
http://www.amazon.com/Arizona-Atlas-Gazetteer-Delorme/dp/0899333257/

And Benchmark AZ
http://www.amazon.com/Benchmark-Arizona-Road-Recreation-Atlas/dp/0929591976/

In this case, Amazon shows it as having land ownership color-coded which is far superior so you should buy the Benchmark. You can tell at a glance where the BLM land is.
Bob

My Benchmark Arizona atlas shows colors for various public lands and it's the latest version, AFAIK. I have eight Benchmark atlases.

Bob, thank you for responding to the question both in the comment section of your latest blog entry...and here in the forum, too. I guess it's the Benchmark, then...but both if the funds are available.

(Amazon.com happens to have had the AZ Benchmark on back-order for the past week or so, and not ready to ship...so I don't want to order it from them and take the chance that they'll only get it in after I hit the road...but when it shows as in-stock I will order it. I did already order their NM one.)

Mockturtle, thanks for the info. on your Benchmark AZ atlas.

GP

Good info! I am very familiar with Delorme, having one for all the South East states I frequent, but I did not know of the Benchmark atlas. I need to do some research, and see about updating my maps!
I got into using the Delormes because they show minor roads and trails, great for my Adventure Motorcycling (by dual sport bike). I hope the Benchmark books will go down to this level.

Lee, for the most part the Benchmark is better at the lowest level because it is graphically better and easier to read than the Delorme.

But ocassionally the Delorme will have something the Benchmark doesn't and so that's why I have both.
Bob

I find that both are good for general planning and highway driving. not so good for backcountry detail. this is due to their large scale. for back country navigation nothing beats usgs maps they are what I use. nat geo has them on cd for whole states I have ca, az, nv, and or. however recently I have been buying the old 15min usgs's, they show everything that was there back in the day. I find that very useful when prospecting. highdesertranger

Delorme is adequate for my trip planning and then use Google earth and USGS maps for more detail.
Posted by highdesertranger - Today 08:34 PM
... for back country navigation nothing beats usgs maps they are what I use.
I download topo maps free from USGS website as a PDF:
http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs...rd&carea=$ROOT&layout=6_1_61_48&uiarea=2)/.do
I usually use the 1:100,000 maps and reformat to area I want in an editor, print them out on plain paper (10" x 10") and put them in a gallon ziploc bag (I have used the stuff to waterproof the maps, but the ziploc works well and is cheaper). I then have a complete weeks backpacking trip on one map. I have used the 7.5 minute maps, but they have more detail than I need and do not cover enough area for backpacking, so I need multiple maps or put them together and shrink.
... I have been buying the old 15min usgs's, they show everything that was there back in the day.
I also go with the old maps. The new ones show a lot of info I don't need and eliminated some of the old information I want (like trails) and are harder to format and use IMO. -- Spiff

Highdesertranger, thanks for sharing the USGS maps tip, and that Nat. Geo. has them available on disc.

Spaceman Spiff, I appreciate the link to where one can print off USGS maps.

And thank you both for the additional related tips (old 15 min. maps, Ziploc bags, etc.).

GP

Thanks very much for posting this question, I didn't know Delorme had any competition.

I actually did a Google search on "Benchmark Atlas vs Delorme Atlas".

It led to a very interesting thread discussing this over on the Expedition Portal.

FWIW, they ALL pretty much thought the Benchmark Atlases were better.

Regards
John

Hey OP: I'm glad you found the question and discussion helpful.

And thanks for your input about a thread at Expedition Portal dealing with the same issue...and that most there saying that the Benchmark was better. That's consistent with Bob W.'s recommendation...and also with what I've gleaned from the Amazon.com reviews. (Of course, Amazon customers are not necessarily using their atlases for boondocking...but, overall, the Benchmark seems to get higher scores than the recent DeLormes.)

Best to you,
GP

If you open them both up and look at them side-by-side of the same area, the benchmark is just dramatically easier to read and understand.

Benchmark just hired much better cartographers.

But 90% of what i want is to find ownership of public land for boondocking, so whichever does that better I would buy. Right now that's still the Benchmark
Bob

Another very helpful post from this forum ,
I have been using DeLorme since the first Atlas and Gazetteer
I picked up my first in the 80's for exploring the back roads and trails around our camp in the Rangley Lakes area of Western Maine .
I had never heard of Benchmark before , but will now be adding them to our other state map books .
Thanks Again
Bob

i

I'm currently in Western NM. I have both the DeLorme and the Benchmark map books for NM and find myself constantly bouncing back and forth between them.

No clear preference yet, but I like the way the Benchmark book is divided up into regional, recreational, and landscape maps.