Arizona tells armed drivers how to avoid deadly police stops

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainChaser

Reaction score
From the Washington Post, July 22, 2017 (new today)

"Arizona tells armed drivers how to avoid deadly police stops"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...53480672286_story.html?utm_term=.9782aa59d3b9

"Gun-friendly Arizona is trying to avoid deadly encounters between police and people behind the wheel by teaching armed drivers how they should handle themselves when they are pulled over."

Please read, esp if you carry.

Arizona has had a "Duty To Inform" law for some time. Meaning that you have to tell the officer even without them asking. Single biggest point for me has always been not to have the firearm in the same place I need to reach to give them documents. Since they always ask where the gun is I don't want them to then see me reaching towards the place I just told them.

Been pulled over several times here in AZ. I perpetually carry. Never had a single issue. Not being an arsehole and a little common sense goes a long way. The overall gun culture here helps too. Some local departments require the officer to take possession of the firearm while you are detained (that means traffic stops too). This might actually be at the discretion of the officer state-wide but I'm not sure.

The one time I had that happen the officer allowed me to retrieve the firearm myself even with it locked and loaded. He took possession of it, I informed him the gun was at half-cock and had no safety (but did have a decocker), and he unloaded the firearm and put a lock on it. At the end of the stop it was returned and I got to keep the lock (that way you aren't unlocking the firearm in front of them).

While I don't agree with the law I understand and comply.

I would worry MUCH more were I in a state that wasn't one of the most gun friendly in the nation.

I'm planning on being in AZ soon and was wondering about that Duty to Inform. Does that only apply to Concealed Weapons Permit holders or also permitless carry where the gun is unloaded/secured and out of reach..

Lisa, here are your choices:

1. Tell them.

2. Don't tell them and they get all excited if they find it and know you lied, and they start wondering what else you lied about.

Which sounds like it will have the best outcome?

TrainChaser said:
Lisa, here are your choices:

1. Tell them.

2. Don't tell them and they get all excited if they find it and know you lied, and they start wondering what else you lied about.

Which sounds like it will have the best outcome?

I don't know what the laws are, I just tell them right away.   I prefer to avoid unpleasantness,  and I've seen it work in my favor.   As in, "this guy is NOT a butthead, I won't get excited  " 

Keep my hands on the wheel,  too.

Pat

Alaska is also a "duty to inform" state but since most of us would have to drive through Canada first it probably doesn't matter much since it is highly unlikely we'd be illegally carrying through Canada.

Wyoming just assumes everyone has a gun in their vehicle...no "duty to inform" unless specifically asked by the officer/trooper/deputy. I jist put in for my Wypming CCP, not because I need it here but because of reciprocity in most other states...except the far west and north east states!

I've spent most my life in one of the unfriendliest gun states in the country......Massachusetts. Surprisingly for such an unfriendly gun state as a whole, the police don't seem to be anti gun, just the politicians. Pulled over several times while armed and they've all said just leave it where it is.

Now in Maine and although no permit is necessary, with out a permit you are required to inform the officer if you are carrying and if you get the permit you aren't required to tell them. You're also allowed to carry in state parks with a permit and not allowed to with out it, so there are advantages to getting it still.

I'll always tell them as they seem to appreciate it. I've yet to get a ticket while carrying, whether that's coincidence or not I don't know.

Conduct 100's if not thousands of traffic stops and daily encounters with people as a cop and then conduct one with someone who tries to comply and be nice by notifying they are legally carrying a firearm. Guess what the recipricity rate of beig nice back is that someone thought to be nice to the cop and consider their safety as well?

Mark,

It could be I am slow this morning....but.... what is your point?
Often it is better to state your point explicitly rather than assume the reader "gets" your insinuation.

My point was being nice, despite the situation, tends to get you a lot in return, meaning less hassle than being hassled. Cops come in all shapes and breeds, some hate guns and people who carry despite the law allowing it, others are less concerned because they realize for everyone who says they have a gun there are likely 10 encounters where they don't know but likely someone is.

Add to this the tension of each encounter they have, usually more negative then positive, and you get jumpy cops who really appreciate a heads up, no static. If a cop realizes you are on their side and looking out for their best interest as well by letting them know you have a gun you have a better situation then how it all started.

I think most here have said it more succinctly, but I was just trying to get the overall situation described in a way that is a win-win for all next time you have such an encounter.

Be safe.

Both hands on the wheel and all windows rolled down. That alone will buy you a lot with a police officer. Perhaps a bigger deal here in AZ where you can go unlimited darkness on rear tint.
Even once had an officer ask me why I dropped my back windows (since the car was gutted in the rear). I told him I did it so he could see in the back easier. Got a warning.