Argh, I Got the Peelies......

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lenny flank

Reaction score
So I came back home to the van this afternoon, and found this:

46255393292_1418bae5a2_c.jpg

Alas, this is a known issue for GMC Savana vans. Apparently GM effed up their paint formula, allowing the colored gelcoat layer to peel away from the underlying primer and flake off. I've already seen vans on the road with the entire front part of their hood bare.

Argh.

I don't really care if the van is not pretty, but I do not like having things that can be easily recognized or remembered, and I also don't want rust to start. So.... looks like I'll be spending tomorrow looking for some touchup paint. Thanks, GM.

:mad:

Get the paint in forest green. I'll bring my van over.

But it's hard not to love a GMC truck!

So I'd probably try using "Kilz". It probably won't wear very well. But you're likely to be using a paint brush regularly for the remainder of this van's life.

But maybe I'd go ahead and try Rustoleum. It is good stuff and it doesn't smell too bad.

wow Lenny when I read the tittle I thought you might need to see a doctor. LOL. highdesertranger

2x on the Rust-Oleum. Sand and brush, might as well do that whole front exposed edge to the crease. Only a question of time. And get a garage to keep it out of the sun. Lol.
Plastidip might hold up and protect the rest as well.
Cheap and worth a try. Had good results on my windows for 4 years, spray a fresh coat over the old to freshen it up for $5 can at your fav boondock location.
Also plastic guard by 3M that lays clear on the hood, protective clear plastic sheet layer. Tons of other product for this application, hood stone chips.
Window tinters and detailers specialize in this.

second the Bummer for ya :) but you got it handled. Spot repair time! Sorry for the troubles tho!

highdesertranger said:
wow Lenny when I read the tittle I thought you might need to see a doctor.  LOL.  highdesertranger

Hah!   :)

bluegoatwoods said:
So I'd probably try using "Kilz".  It probably won't wear very well.  But you're likely to be using a paint brush regularly for the remainder of this van's life.

Yeh, I'm thinking that too.  :(

I see a lot of Bed Liner products used as "Camouflage" ...………….

A friend added a two-tone paint job using Monstaliner………..rolled-on the product dries with a nice texture and slight shine....it's not cheap at $150 a gallon

I thought the same as highdesertranger...firgured you'd been sunburned badly, LOL. Maybe you could configure each repair spot as different states you've been to....rather like a tatoo to disguise a disfigurement!

^^^^ Hah! "This patch looks like Florida, this patch looks like Oklahoma ......" ;)

I'm hoping this will be the only peelie. But alas it seems that might be a forlorn hope.....

Anyway, Rustoleum has patched things up for now. :)

I didn't know kilz was a metal primer.  I would bet you aren't thru peeling.  On the 97 Dodge van I had I just sanded the surface of the exposed primer and used some etching primer and white Rustoleum spray bomb.  You can get the exact color but it gets expensive quick.  Kinda depends on how much money you want to spend.  You can probably find a small body shop that would sand and repaint the entire hood pretty reasonably.

Was fortunate my peeling GMC hood was a faded grayish. Got a quart of Rustoleum, a sliver hammered finish. Used a brush. Yes had to do more when additional peeled but what was painted stuck and lasted for 10 years.

Killer thread title...  At first I was thinking maybe a pirate needed some penicillin...  LOL!  :D    That kinda peeling happens frequently with the early water based paints because they hadn't quite figured things out yet.  Not really a problem now.  Feather the edges, spray bomb it, wait a couple weeks for it to cure and come back with some 1500 grit and polishing compound.  If it still has noticeable edges, do some more spray bomb, 1500 again...  If the edges lift, feather again, repeat as needed.  Voila!  Quick and dirty fix... If you want to get real fancy you can even order matching paint in a spray can but that starts to get pricey...  Krylon has my vote.  Gotta luv it!

Latest posts