Temporary Paint Repair

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There is a lot to like about the GM vans.  The peeling paint is not one of them!  Goodness...it's like the van had bad dandruff.  The hood and areas of the roof were starting to rust so I needed a solution.  

I scrapped and sanded all the bad areas and then used acetone (nail polish remover) to clean up.  Then I used plastic dip spray paint to spray on light coats until the area was raised up level with the rest of the paint.  While the plastic dip is dull and not a perfect color match because it is thick and can be easily removed later I found it was a great choice.  Roof rust is especially troubling and should be stripped treated and coated to stop it before it eats all the way through.

Now my old but new to me van looks like I care even though GM did not and with my new bug guard on the hood old duke the van even looks younger.

Blessings! [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]SojourningAdam[/font]

I see a lot of that down here. A certain year range of white Chevy vans have this "paint stripping cancer". GMs seldom show it, nor do Chevy vans of other colors.
Weird. I suspect a batch of bad primer or white paint. Don't usually see this with white Chevy trucks either, though I have seen one with it.
Why did you use plastidip coating? That isn't paint, and may begin peeling too.

what do you guys think the best way to fix it, media blast down to bare metal and re paint? any advise would be VERY welcome.

If I were dealing with a top that had a lot of surface rust AND had access to a blaster that is the way I would go. That is a nasty job and need protective gear but with a good blaster/ compressor combo it wouldn't take long to get it off. ALL other surfaces need to be well protected also.

Over the years I have used blasting, stripper, electric and air sanders to remove paint and rust. Just a lot of work if on a larger area. Can be done in stages though for DIY. Most of my auto body refinishing is well behind me.

Eastwood has a Fast Etch rust remover but I haven't used it....just something to look into.

strip rust, bedliner the van
since the liner will never shine, use desert sand or olive drab and it'll have a certain 'utilitarian chic' to it :D

Ford and Mercury cars had a similar problem in the late 70s. My then brand new Mercury Monarch (same as Granada, not quite a lemon, CR called it a lime) started peeling paint on the heater vent panel between hood and windshield. It was galvanized, which doesn't take paint well. Same with the Sport style mirrors. Saw many of them like that.

"GM Jump Off Paint" as it is known in the industry.

It seems that There are as many opionions on how to treat the rust and paint as there are people!

The basics?
Sand off rust (sandblasting is best but few have the tools to do so)
Wire brush the area
Apply a rust neutralizer, follow directions to the letter!
Apply an EPOXY primer, very important, most primers allow moisture to pass back to the metal, EPOXY primers do not.
Do any body work, putty, etc.
sand putty
Primer again
Apply color coat
Apply clear coat if required

Done!

actually on bare metal you're supposed to use etching primer.

since it's the roof and you have no compressor and are likely outside I would simply sand it just past the old clear, spray paint it, then use urethane clear cut with 10% acetone sprayed with those aerosol cans you can put it in. The 2k clear will seal it and protected it from UV rays.