Are people still in quartzite?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giggles

Reaction score
How long do people hang out in Quartzsite? Is there anybody there in April and May? The last day of my job is April 15th and I can't leave until the next week because I am moving. I was thinking about going to Quartzsite, but I wasn't sure if anybody was going to be there?

It’s starting to get pretty warm in Quartzsite.  I’m sure that there are some folks still there, but I’m not sure I’d want to be boondocking out there right now.

We are here although it's getting thin out here. Is it warm? Sure it is. It's still bearable in the shade with a breeze. Those with generators and air conditioners are probably running them in the heat of the day. The nights are glorious.

For some reason Jim’s post got me thinking of my childhood.  I grew up in Alabama prior to when most people had air conditioning.  The summers were brutal.  The worst thing was having to scrape all of the melted tar from the paved roads off our feet before we could go back inside. 

I remember thinking of what church was like when I was a kid.  All of the women wore blue dresses with tiny white polka dots.  And as we would go into the sanctuary, we were given a cardboard fan donated by the funeral parlor.  All the windows were open, but the air movement was powered by a hundred or so of those funeral parlor hand fans.  

Yep, for some reason thinking about a bunch of nomads in the Quartzsite area as it is getting warmer by the day reminded me of funeral parlor hand fans going back and forth a mile a minute.  

;-)

Now most churches have A/C, thank goodness. We had the old funeral fans too. They didn't help much with 98 temp and 90% humidity though.

Is that campsite that everyone goes to in Quartzite open all year round? Same fees ?

I’ve never been to Arizona... but lived in Albuquerque for about a year and loved the climate....the heat didn’t bother me then...50 years ago...dry heat isn’t as yucky as humidity

Midsummer: The heat is pretty intense, and the hot roads are a tire popper during the day. Nighttime temps in the 90s.
-crofter

That would be enough to stop me from wanting to be there...why haven't they invented "cool" tires for that climate ?

By campground are you talking the LTVA's? If you are they revert back to 14 day areas in the summer. The Heat is stifling. Highdesertranger

yes..that's what i was referring to...ok...yeah now i remember...i did read the rules a while back...yes i can imagine...has the electricity ever gone out in Q during the worse of it ????

Quartzsite isn't even the hottest place. Get down by the river and it's even hotter. Highdesertranger

Gypsy108 said:
That would be enough to stop me from wanting to be there...why haven't they invented "cool" tires for that climate ?
They tried making the tires out of ice cubes but they melted.

Seriously they do make a snow mountain out of shaved ice every year for the kids, never lasts more than a day.
-crofter

Giggles said:
Ok, thanks, everyone.
Does your van have air conditioning? If so you will be fine in 100 degree dry heat this month at Quartzsite. You may not even notice the heat as you will be running around trying to see everything. My first trip to Quartzsite was nonstop. 
-crofter

Giggles said:
Ok, thanks, everyone.

When you're ready to actually hit the road, just ask where people are. If they're up for company, they'll let you know.

Flagstaff, Prescott, and the Grand Canyon Rim are Arizona places where people go when Quartzsite gets too hot for them.

Me, I just got to Santa Cruz on my way north to Washington.

Latest posts