Archery Anyone?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverider1987

Reaction score
I shoot recurve and will be taking my archery equipment with me when i travel so am looking for anyone's favorite spots to shoot a bow.  I have a mini foam target I can set up anywhere but am looking for recommendations on fun outdoor 3-d shoots or target ranges.  Anywhere in the country is fine.

Hello Waverider,I too am an archery enthusiast.Back in my younger days,I bowhunted with a compound.I no longer bowhunt but I very much enjoy shooting a recurve at targets.Forces me to relax and concentrate on the target.Great for taking my mind off problems and worry.Where are you located?There are several good 3d ranges in Mt.

I love shooting my old Browning compound short bow,  maybe if you are attending the RTR you can find other Archers for a get togeather,  I'm not sure if i'll make the RTR depends on my progress fixing up this old house in Wisconsin @ newly retired     :)

Note to self ... pack body armor, bandages and slingshot ...

:)

bigskybob said:
Hello Waverider,I too am an archery enthusiast.Back in my younger days,I bowhunted with a compound.I no longer bowhunt but I very much enjoy shooting a recurve at targets.Forces me to relax and concentrate on the target.Great for taking my mind off problems and worry.Where are you located?There are several good 3d ranges in Mt.

I am in virginia but am looking for any decent ranges anywhere in the country

sweet, thanks...this is what i'm looking for.  I want to stop and practice at as much fun archery places as I can find :)

I have been carrying my recurve with me since I started on the road.  I have yet to use it.  However, I keep meaning to.  I also intend to get more exercise, start playing guitar again, and improve my singing voice.  I really want to teach myself to sing "Wish You Were Here" , in tune.   :D

That being said, what I use for a target is a burlap sack filled with compressed plastic shopping bags.  Most of the places I've camped, I can easily hang that from a branch, and shoot at it.  

I HAVE seen a long-distance rifle range set up on BLM land NW of Parker, AZ.  This spot is actually across the Colorado River in Cali Forn Eye Ay.   Just a tad West of Earp, CA.  

I wish you success in your search, and enjoy your shooting. 

Regards, 

WP

For those who carry their bows on the road how do you protect it from the heat?

Up until now, I've just been keeping it in my converted cargo trailer.  It doesn't get hot enough in my trailer for it to be a problem.  

This winter I'm going to be going out in just my Jeep and tent-camping.  So, we'll see how it goes.  

But I'm real committed to following the weather. So, the last two summers, I've been staying in Colorado in the mountains.  In the winter, so far, it's been Arizona.  

Hope this helps,

WP

waverider1987 said:
I shoot recurve and will be taking my archery equipment with me when i travel so am looking for anyone's favorite spots to shoot a bow.  I have a mini foam target I can set up anywhere but am looking for recommendations on fun outdoor 3-d shoots or target ranges.  Anywhere in the country is fine.
I don’t know, but when I go full time I will be purchasing a bow and a crossbow to bring with me.

just a heads up crossbows are not legal in all 50 states. in Oregon crossbows are illegal all the time. in other states the laws are very muddled. in several states you must be disabled to possess a crossbow during hunting season in hunting areas. in California crossbows have been legal only since 2004 but only for disabled persons. I would seriously take a look at the crossbow laws before I bought one. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
just a heads up crossbows are not legal in all 50 states.  in Oregon crossbows are illegal all the time.  in other states the laws are very muddled. in several states you must be disabled to possess a crossbow during hunting season in hunting areas.  in California crossbows have been legal only since 2004 but only for disabled persons.  I would seriously take a look at the crossbow laws before I bought one.  highdesertranger
Thank you, I appreciate it. Now I know no crossbow for me.

that's why I said the laws are very muddled. in California before 04 they were illegal. in 04 they passed a law that says for disabled persons that can't hold a regular bow in the ready position, that they are allowed to hunt with a crossbow. but what that means for everybody else I don't know. years ago I was going to get a crossbow but they wouldn't ship them to California and once I looked into it, I found the laws were very confusing so I dropped the idea. highdesertranger

I've owned a crossbow, and gave it away when I was downsizing.  It sounded better than it really is.  At least IMO.  And the thing about legality is most certainly muddled.  

And I STILL haven't used my recurve once.  I also carry a guitar that I never play.  

But that's an entirely different subject area!  
:D

Pat

LowTech said:
Am I correct in thinking that this is just about hunting w/ them?

Well, the OP was asking about how to store a bow on the road. 
Harry-O added the topic of always bringing his crossbow and bow on the road. 

HDR added the caveat about the legality , and added that beware of hunting season and walking around the woods. 

So, no, this not just about hunting.  In CO , a game warden could cite you for carrying a crossbow outside of rifle season.  (Crossbows are considered equivalent to rifles for purposes of when you can use one).  But HUNTING SEASON is something to be aware of .
If you just want to target shoot, you can do that.... just find a good place where you would be ok doing target practice (with a gun) in the woods.   It's been my experience that most archers look down their nose at guys with crossbows.   
I hope this helps some. 

Pat

I meant the link above my post, but thanks. :-]

waverider1987 said:

check out traditional archery sites like the leather wall and archerytalk for dates of traditional archery events.  ETAR in PA and Baltimore bowmen in May are 2 of my favorites.